Home > Off Topic > Unusual 4x4 Vehicles I have driven
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Unusual 4x4 Vehicles I have driven

WW2 Magirus a3000 4x4 3Ton Cargo Truck

During my RAF service in the 1960's I obtained my lorry licence in a ex German Army Magirus Air Cooled Diesel Truck.
It was extremely slow and cumbersome and had an enormously long gearstick controlling, I think, about 5 crash gears.
It had a very large steering wheel as there was no assistance for this' or indeed the brakes. (I must have been stronger in those days)
The reason I wanted the licence was that it allowed me to be on the snowplough rota, and this seemed far better than spending days shovelling snow off the air field. There was a lot of snow in Germany in the winter.
As a matter of interest I can tell you' with the assistance of a second member in the cab, the truck could be turned in its own length, via the handbrake, although this was not looked upon kindly by the MT section.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=magirus+...GkVOCtAsM:

Has anyone else driven anything unusual? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #337494 18th Dec 2017 5:00 pm
Largered

I once drove ..... some sheep back into a field. Someone had left the gate open.

I guess that doesn't count ..... Yawn

Post #337497 18th Dec 2017 5:42 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

"I once drove ..... some sheep back into a field. Someone had left the gate open.

I guess that doesn't count ..... "

did that with some cattle, got a bent in the front wing for my trouble, melded into the others so no biggy. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #337500 18th Dec 2017 6:00 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you should come to my place, in the barn are various ww2 GMC's, a huge mack artillery tractor, a couple of international half tracks and willys jeeps

none of them mine, its amusing to see them all set off in convoy when the owners set of to one of their military weekends. then counting them home after, normally one or two fail to make it back without assistance Laughing

The sherman tank we had parked on the lawn left years ago, and apparently is nearly fully restored to A1 condition despite no even having an engine when here At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #337501 18th Dec 2017 6:05 pm
Lunar-Rover

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I passed my HGV2 in 6 x 6 Leyland Gun Tractor circa WW2 in 1974, the cab was so big you could get up from the driving seat and go for a leg stretch on long journeys (hand throttle engaged) or lift one of the floor hatches to take pee! REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #337513 18th Dec 2017 8:38 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Iron Fairy crane - as a licenced aircraft engineer lifting engines in and out of transport and installation stands. During engine changes the trained driver would take over as the "Fairy" was a b Censored to align the mounts. The photo shows a Mk 6 and the earlier models were even trickier with a non-telescoping jib, so it needed simultaneous lift and drive to engage/disengage horizontal engine mounts.
Happy days, not too much H & S!

Post #337519 18th Dec 2017 9:14 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Another aircraft related tale. In RAF I used to tow Harriers with a Unimog - more gears than I can remember (24?). Although some were so low you could get out and walk around it whilst still driving itself! Also an Eager Beaver all terrain fork lift we used to tow Harriers. The Beaver had selectable 4 wheel steering, rear engined and based on 3 ton Bedford RL mechanics IIR. Finally 4 ton 4x4 TK Bedford’s in both Belize and the Falklands. Great for going up country in Belize for BBQ weekends with rations from the kitchens and beer from the NAAFI. Used in the Falklands for RAS trips around and about Stanley airfield looking for useful materials for “workplace improvement” self builds. We knew how to roll then!

Bob

Click image to enlarge
 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #337525 18th Dec 2017 11:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1