« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Noise from rear end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
Noise from rear end

I noticed yesterday a new noise coming from the rear end.

It's a low thrumming or rubbing sound, apparently coming from the rear right-hand side, but only when going round a left-hand bend.

Could this be a wheel bearing on the way out?

Post #347923 21st Apr 2018 6:33 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

What you describe is exactly like a worn wheel bearing. As you go round a left hand bend the lateral loading on the R/H rear wheel bearing increases and if the bearing is worn you will get the noise you describe. If you are able to safely jack up the R/H rear wheel you should be able to feel movement in the bearing by rocking the wheel which also indicates excessive wear. You might also feel the bearing being rough when you spin the wheel.

Post #347936 21st Apr 2018 9:38 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds very much like it especially when going around a corner. Try jacking the wheel up and see if you can feel it, (however this isn't conclusive as the bearing is "hanging" and not in it's normal position and under load). 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #347937 21st Apr 2018 9:45 am
tim_roberts

Thanks for the replies.

Have been out to jack it up but can't detect any movement whatsoever, nor any untoward noise, but I don;t see it can be anything other than the bearing.

Assuming I've caught it early, how long have I got before it fails?

Post #347939 21st Apr 2018 10:05 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We had one on go noisy a FL2 and drove for over 500 miles before we got it fixed. Similarly had them on Renault Clios and Meganes which went on for ages. Might be worth checking the front bearing as these things can be misleading and the front will get a higher load than the rear when going around a corner anyway. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #347940 21st Apr 2018 10:12 am
tim_roberts

I've decided my quickest and cheapest option is to replace the whole rear hub carrier assembly with what I hope is a decent used one from eBay. Then I can overhaul the original unit at my leisure. I'll have to take it to a local garage to have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in, but I hope to be able to do everything else myself.

Post #348032 23rd Apr 2018 8:38 am
tim_roberts

An update:

Following the discussion above, I bought a second-hand right-hand rear hub from eBay and fitted that, even though there was no apparent wear in the old one.

After that, the noise from the rear seemed better, but within a couple of weeks it had come back - again, just when going round left-hand bends, but this time definitely from the left-hand side.

However, this week it got worse, and was making a noise even when going straight ahead. Then yesterday it got a lot louder, and last night when setting off from the pub to home it sounded like a bag of nails in a tumble dryer, although it reverted to a rumble after a few hundred yards.

So this morning, I jacked up the left-hand rear wheel and sure enough I could rock it backwards and forwards about 1 inch at the rim, showing that the bearing was well and truly shot.

Luckily, I had already bought another rear hub from eBay in anticipation of this, and spent a happy few hours in the sun fitting it. Much easier this time than the other side. Practice makes (nearly) perfect, they say.

Now the back end is as quiet as a church mouse. The hubs cost just £45 each from eBay, and the labour nothing, so compared with taking it to a garage (who would probably have wanted to replace the diff as well) I've saved myself a shed-load of money. Feeling very pleased with myself!

Post #350768 3rd Jun 2018 5:18 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Good news I am glad you got it sorted plus thank you for the feedback on the problem my pet hate is the members that ask for help & advice & cant be bothered to update solved issues.

Post #350770 3rd Jun 2018 5:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1