« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > EGR valve cooler leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ianbevan

Wales 
EGR valve cooler leak

Hi all here is a tale from the weekend. Found water in the exhaust side of the turbo on a 57 plate GS I have. After looking around the internet worked out that it must be EGR cooler. Quick look on EBay and found that I could get on for £39 result, knew it would be a pain to do dare I say straight forward. Thing was by Friday it had not turned up and always you need the Land Rover back on the road yesterday. Enter plan B, blank off the EGR valve and bypass the cooler. 3 hours, jubilee clips, a piece of braded pipe and a home made blank plate and the cooling system seams to be back to it’s usual self. 15 miles and all seams to go well. The EGR was sealed at the front of the engine and it did not get hot after the 15 mile. This is not a permanent repair but for a vehicle that does light mileage can anyone see a problem for the next 4 or 5 weeks?

Post #336086 27th Nov 2017 9:29 pm
alex_pescaru

Leave it that way for good. You wont have any problems.

Post #336090 27th Nov 2017 10:04 pm
jimmatt

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

And did you ever replace the EGR Cooler??

I've just managed to diagnose the same thing, following a week of head scratching and lots coolant loss.

I am planning to bypass the cooler and blank the EGR and leave it as it. Seem a bit of too much faff to replace the cooler and with 185k (miles) on the clock don't want to spend too much as something else is bound to break soon!!

J.

Post #350199 25th May 2018 10:52 pm
ianbevan

Wales 

NO I have dont done it yet. The FL2 in question is only used for 5000 miles a year and the MOT is a long way off yet. It does look ahrd to replace but I have got one only £35 off Ebay. But I have my commercial FL2 in bits rebuliding the front end so the EGR is some way down the list yet. On the plus side the bypass seams to work out and has given no issues, just that they are now looking for them on MOT's.

Ian

Post #350214 26th May 2018 7:35 am
jimmatt

Thanks, that is useful. I will investigate bypassing the cooler when I get a chance. Meanwhile I just keep topping coolant up!

Really useful to learn that they are now looking at whether the EGR is in place at an MOT. Presume that they are only looking at the front end as that the visible bit and not at the actual EGR valve end which is hidden away.

J.

Post #350412 29th May 2018 12:05 pm
ianbevan

Wales 

you can only keep toping up for so long I found that one out! when you get to the job disconect the bonnet struts it will make it a lot better. But get somthing to hold it in place I did not and it did come down on my head. I was not right for a day or so to be honest Confused

Post #350450 29th May 2018 9:40 pm
jimmatt

Ouch! Noted Smile

Post #350451 29th May 2018 10:04 pm
jimmatt

Ian,

Did you manage to connect the two bits of hose directly together (with an inline hose connector) or did you have to use a short length of hose to 'plug the gap' between the two?

And is the hose diameter the same as hose into the bottom of the coolant expansion tank?

Thanks,
J.

Post #350567 31st May 2018 8:57 am
ianbevan

Wales 

Hi J I did Use a connector and the 2 pipes are the same but I don't know about the expenshion tank

Ian

Post #350676 1st Jun 2018 8:07 pm
jimmatt

Thanks Ian.

I had a go today got there eventually probably took about 5 hours, it's a pain to get at first , but from what I can see not as much as a pain as getting at the EGR cooler itself!

I found that although both hoses are the same external diameter (28mm) the outlet hose internal diameter was more than the 19mm I was expecting - something like 22 or 23mm. Anyway with a bit of improvisation its all together and not leaking anymore. Fingers crossed!

J.

Post #350735 2nd Jun 2018 8:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1