« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Landrover Assistance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey
Landrover Assistance

speaking to my brother in law today who bought a new Disco 5 a few months ago.

he was telling me he had a substantial oil leak after doing only 190 mls, coming from the sump area.

Landrover Assistance took the car to the dealers for repair in a covered truck rather than the usual breakdown wagon.

the LA mechanic said this is what they were using now as there are so many Landrovers being taken back for repair and they don't want the public to see them.

my brother in law's D5 was at the dealers for over two weeks and he had problems getting a courtesy car.

he also said he preferred his D4 as it felt more solid than the D5.

Iain

Post #360661 18th Nov 2018 8:00 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Isn't Land Rover assistance operated by the AA? The only time I ever used the service, a technician turned up in a very smart LR liveried van and then called the flatbed recovery truck which wasn't all LR liveried up. How big a fleet of covered recovery vehicles might the AA have?

It used to be said that stricken Rolls Royce / Bentley cars would always be transported in a 'pantechnicon' to prevent the great unwashed public casting eyes upon them. Urban myth?

Post #360662 18th Nov 2018 8:27 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Having seen how the D5 looks, the only way I would buy one is if it could travel all the time covered-up! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #360663 18th Nov 2018 8:41 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

HappyNomad wrote:
Isn't Land Rover assistance operated by the AA? The only time I ever used the service, a technician turned up in a very smart LR liveried van and then called the flatbed recovery truck which wasn't all LR liveried up. How big a fleet of covered recovery vehicles might the AA have?

It used to be said that stricken Rolls Royce / Bentley cars would always be transported in a 'pantechnicon' to prevent the great unwashed public casting eyes upon them. Urban myth?

Year's ago the guy I worked for had a Rolls Royce and that broke down and it was covered up on the transporter so you couldn't see what car it was.

Post #360666 18th Nov 2018 9:18 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The times I've called LR Assist I've been given the choice of an AA person asap or a dedicated LR tech (also AA, but in a silver van) a bit later. LR assist have their own courtesy cars, or will get you a hire car, so no waiting for a dealer's car to become available. In my experience the LR Assist technicians know more about the car than the guys at the dealer. Haven't had my DS recovered to a dealer as on both occasions it's been pronounced driveable, but even so the immediate service and courtesy car were a welcome plus.
Incidentally, if you book the car to the dealer yourself, rather than calling out LR Assist, you're not entitled to the LR Assist get you home/courtesy car service!
Ps - never needed to call them out for either of my FL2s! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #360672 18th Nov 2018 11:05 pm
j77

Scotland 

What a crock of s Censored t the whole world knows that LRs reliability is poor, no point hiding it.

The car gets recovered by what ever the agent has. My Velar got recovered by the AA on the back of a regular recovery truck for the world to see.

LR Assist were absolutely shocking, the tech that came out late at night was great (Randy’s Recovery) and he booked recovery for the next day (AA). Told me to phone LRA to confirm and arrange hire car. Long story short 2 days I had to keep chasing them up for a loan car. “We do apologise” blah blah blah “someone should have called you to take your licence details” had to wait on someone else phoning so they could take the details because it wasn’t the women that I just calleds department. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #360674 18th Nov 2018 11:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I haven't had LRA out for a couple of years but when we did they always showed up in JLR liveried vans and seemed to know their stuff. One told me that they had all been moved into the AA and that if (when?) a LR broke down they would be sent to it in preference to normal AA guys. I always found the service very efficient especially the hire car bit.

By comparison my son had a problem with his Porsche 911 battery and called out Porsche Assist, an ordinary AA guy showed up who didn't know much about the car, I wasn't even convinced that he knew that the engine was at the back! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #360699 19th Nov 2018 11:46 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Used LRA in 2009 man came out and diagnosed failed power steer pump, a low loader dropped off a replacement FL2 and picked mine up. Very Happy
Called again early 2018 adblue fault drained excess fluid and reset warning message - but didn’t fix the fault. Called them again a week or so later, nice man cleared the fault and it hasn’t returned - did he do a software patch? He was over an hour just resetting the fault and it hasn’t reoccured
All in all if the dealerships were as good as LRA we would be a much happier bunch of owners Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #360711 19th Nov 2018 3:44 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I used LRA many many times....

Even they admitted if you ever have a fault under warranty NEVER go to the dealership always contact LRA as they will ensure you get a courtesy car. Never forget the time I had an aux belt issue and the LRA guy contacted the dealer and told them I was coming over and to get a courtesy car ready for me - dealer had nothing available so had to hire something from Enterprise - imagine my face when I clocked the shiny new RRS waiting for me.... Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #360717 19th Nov 2018 5:42 pm
j77

Scotland 

I’ve only used them twice, first time was with the D3 and couldn’t fault the service with the Velar though they were shocking. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #360736 19th Nov 2018 11:25 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Used them twice when I first got my Evoque. Came out and fixed a fault when the car was not recognising the keyless entry. Same thing happened 6 weeks later. This time they couldn’t fix it so they showed me how to get in and start car with the duff keys, booked me into a main dealer and arranged for a DS to be there when we got there. The dealer had to hire the car from Thrifty. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #360744 20th Nov 2018 8:26 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

the last courtesy car I had through LR Assist was a brand new (2017 66 plate at that time) RRS Dynamic HSE with 900 miles on the clock. They also had to hire it in from Thrifty, and delivered it from Sheffield to Doncaster for me. 5 day hire and I loved every minute... until I had to fill the tank back up Laughing .

Prior to that LR Assist provided a Jaguar XE R-Sport AWD for a month over Xmas and New year (2 months before they had to hire in the RRS for me)

Really could not fault LRA in any way at all, they were brilliant throughout. Each time I called them out (about 4 times in 6 months) they asked if I wanted AA (quicker response) or LR tech which may take a bit longer to get to me. I opted for LR Tech every time.

Post #360746 20th Nov 2018 9:06 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

We've had Freelanders since 1998 and have never had a break down (touch wood). Have used LRA twice though - both times were for the D2 we had.
LRA were very good - one time time they replaced the dead battery there and then with a new one they carried and the second time they had to get a flat bed truck because it wouldnt go into reverse and was stuck on another persons drive. Jules

Last edited by jules on 22nd Nov 2018 10:26 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #360750 20th Nov 2018 9:48 am
Dartman the one

England 

There are a number of LR cars with hire companies, they are not for general hire and are there for LR warranty breakdowns, Enterprise also had them, probably because they have a call out system which the dealers do not, try to get a dealer on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday, yes they will sell you one but no way will you get a courtesy car from them. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #360757 20th Nov 2018 11:43 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Last time I called them out I had a very sheepish call saying that my hire car was sorted but they were very sorry that they couldn't get a Jaguar or a LandRover at short notice and they were very sorry but it's a Mitsubishi Shogun. When I got to the dealers it was brand new and parked around the back out of sight. Interesting to drive but I was glad to return it (and park it round the back of the dealers'). 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #360762 20th Nov 2018 12:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>