« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Radio don't like cold mornings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lunar-Rover

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Radio don't like cold mornings

Just this past week, I have had to have a few early morning trips due to a Bus drivers strike so have had to take the wife to work. Now I usually don't have to drive anywhere before 9.30am, but on the three occasions I have started the car with the slight frost we have had, the radio has refused to talk to me! tried all the different buttons, CD,AM,FM etc but nothing although lit up. First time it did it, I drove about 4 miles and turned off ignition while said wife went into the local co-op, switched on ignition and radio talked to me, no problems until the subsequent early starts then same again, run for a few miles, switch of/on all working again. Really puzzling me, never had a problem with it before and only seems to happen when frosty and had been OK while on holiday in a field in deepest, darkest Dorset caravan park. Any ideas or should I just let the wife walk to work and have a well deserved lie in?

Sincerely, retired and loving it. Surprised REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #335347 17th Nov 2017 11:08 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

When waiting in the car, ignition off but key in, and listening to the radio it switches itself off after 10 minutes. I press the on/off button and it comes on. This happens every 10 minutes and I presume it is to save the battery. Sometimes when I start the engine the radio goes off, then all I do is press the on/off button and it comes on again.

J

Post #335370 18th Nov 2017 11:29 am
Dartman the one

England 

Then cold morning problem is usually sorted by just turning the radio off and on, with the radio volume control button, the other is annoying, not conducive to younger owners parking in isolated spots with enthusiastic members of the female species Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #335381 18th Nov 2017 1:58 pm
Lunar-Rover

This is after starting the vehicle, tried on/off still the same result until the ignition is turned off then on again .. yes, when 'parked with the radio on it will also switch off after 15 mins or so and hit the button back on again, but this is while the car is running and moving until I have to switch off and re-start the car .. guess I'll just have to see how it progresses during the winter (More strikes forecast for December) REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #335399 18th Nov 2017 7:01 pm
DonkUK

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I suspect your battery may be a bit low, maybe not taking or actually receiving a charge? Some cars disable non essential functions to divert power to the bits required to start and first run the car, if volts / amps are a bit down as can happen as the temperature drops. Hence once car is warmed up and battery has been topped up radio comes back on.

Just a thought

Dave

Post #335440 19th Nov 2017 1:55 pm
Lunar-Rover

Good call Dave, it's in having the 10yr service tomorrow so I'll get it checked out! REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #335455 19th Nov 2017 7:21 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

10 year service. Thud Hope the wallet survives. Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #335461 19th Nov 2017 9:13 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Oh and yes let her walk by all means as they need the exercise to be able to make your tea after coming home. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #335465 19th Nov 2017 9:33 pm
Lunar-Rover

Not a problem Yorky, I took your advice from another post and bought all the parts myself, Opie oil, Gates belts/water pump and gen L/R filters etc.. from ebay at just touching 200 quid and I have a tame Land Rover main dealer mechanic that's on holiday doing it for me! He's going to do the Haldex in the new year as well, the service should come in at £350 Gross so not such a big hit on the wallet thankfully. Very Happy

I did suggest she needed the exercise ... the bruising around my eyes should go down in the next few weeks according to the Doctor! Shocked REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #335486 20th Nov 2017 8:46 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #335487 20th Nov 2017 8:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1