« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers

A toe rag ran into the back of me while I was stationary in traffic. Fortunately no injuries or damage to me or my car, but said toe rag reversed and drove off at speed without attempting to exchange details. I have it all on dashcam, front and rear, and thinking that he drove off possibly because he may not have insurance I reported the incident to the police.

The police are reviewing the matter including the dashcam footage and said they will prosecute if there is evidence that will stand up in court and this will include failing to stop after an accident.

They also said that anything on dashcam that shows me committing an offence would also be subject to prosecution - fair enough.

I had to show my documents; driving licence, insurance, MOT - fair enough.

But here comes the crunch for the oldies. You have to renew your licence when you reach 70 years old if you want to keep driving - it's free and dead easy to do online - but the police person told me that I would be surprised at how many people fail to renew and then when reporting an incident such as mine they find out they don't have a valid licence so they get done for that.

So be sure to renew your licence if needed and if you report anything to the police make sure you are fully legal and if you submit dashcam footage expect to be "nicked" if there is anything on it to put you in the wrong. Remember that your speed is shown on the footage. As for me I was all goodie, goodie legal (oh for the days of youth when you cast caution to the wind!).

J

Post #333377 17th Oct 2017 11:14 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Thumbs Up Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #333387 17th Oct 2017 12:28 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As I am a type 1 diabetic on insulin, I get to renew my licence every three years and DVLA send me forms to remind me so why can they not send reminders to everyone because all licences have time limits applied not just when you hit 70.

Post #333390 17th Oct 2017 12:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Were as I agree, that footage should be used and anything within it

However, it smells of, submit the footage and we’ll do you for x,y,z because it’s easier and that might put you off giving me more work Wink

Just like after I was assaulted last year, because witness said I swore after the event, they couldn’t prosecute one without the other, I’m sure they said this to put me off pressing charges further Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #333391 17th Oct 2017 1:10 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I became 70 in July. DVLA sent me renewal docs at the end of April. Licence was renewed 10.05.2017. Good for another 3 years!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #333394 17th Oct 2017 1:36 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers

Jimboland wrote:

They also said that anything on dashcam that shows me committing an offence would also be subject to prosecution - fair enough.

J

So submit the footage AFTER editing it. On my Nextbase I can take out the card and plug it into my Laptop and use VLC to edit the footage down to just the relevant parts. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #333401 17th Oct 2017 3:30 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:

However, it smells of, submit the footage and we’ll do you for x,y,z because it’s easier and that might put you off giving me more work Wink

Just like after I was assaulted last year, because witness said I swore after the event, they couldn’t prosecute one without the other, I’m sure they said this to put me off pressing charges further

Since when did swearing become a criminal offence? MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #333402 17th Oct 2017 3:32 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Re: Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers

Jimboland wrote:

J

Well fair enough "yes and no" - you have been the victim of a crime, but if its easier they will prosecute you rather than the other guy perhaps. The police need to be a little more sensitive, IMO. Depends on your crime of course, but if it showed you speeding a little but nothing else, I'd be disappointed if they took it further. A hit and run is a deliberate crime of attempted fraud, speeding is only a nominal offence unless you were also driving carelessly. (I know the BiB would disagree, and readers may too, but speed limits are to cover the average situation - in truth they can both permit driving dangerously within them and make a crime of driving safely above them - but we have to have them - anarchy is not an option)

In truth I expect they have to caution you of that, but will apply fair judgement. Was it perhaps a question of "do you want to give me this or do you want to reconsider?" That would be a very fair and generous approach.

I was the victim of a hit and run, but because I had the footage and the licence plate (which your insurers can track the guy down with), they would not take it further as I had suffered no loss in their eyes. The guy tried to kill me by running me into the central barrier from the nearside, clearly on purpose, but for Hampshire Police it was too much trouble.

Some take aways 1) don't buy a dashcam with GPS speed - can only count against you - no benefit I can see. 2) offer them only a copy of what you want them to see on a CD - not the whole chip. 3) remember proof works both ways 4) don't be a victim of crime in Hampshire (Dorset police are very different - a bit OTT the other way TBH)

Post #333404 17th Oct 2017 3:36 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

blimey I am 8 years off that but I did know about the 70 ruling.

I still have a paper licence from 1978 and never had a point on it, am I unique ?

There was one occasion in recent years it was more beneficial, when I tried to hire a car 5 years back, I wanted my partner to share the driving, she had a photocard which meant they wanted to charge her to phone the DVLA to check for points, my paper one was instantly accepted ! Rolling with laughter Whistle

Post #333419 17th Oct 2017 7:46 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Down under in NSW, because I am a good driver we have to renew our driver's licence every 5 years. When you are 85 it is every year with a thorough test.

New cars have the first 5 years free of road worthiness tests. We don't have to put a car registration sticker on the car anymore.

DirtyDuck wrote:
Some take aways 1) don't buy a dashcam with GPS speed - can only count against you - no benefit I can see. 2) offer them only a copy of what you want them to see on a CD - not the whole chip. 3) remember proof works both ways 4) don't be a victim of crime in Hampshire (Dorset police are very different - a bit OTT the other way TBH)

Lightwater wrote:
You could simply work out the speed looking at 2 separate frames in the video seeing what position along the road you are at.

I'll do this in metric: So if you are doing 50 km/h (31 mph), you would cover 100 metres in 7.2 seconds. Or 216 frames at 30 frames per second. Plot the start & finish to see if you got there too soon.

Easy..... just a bit more tedious doing it manually!

You can even plot the precise position for curved roads if the need arises.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #333430 17th Oct 2017 9:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

blacktiger wrote:
npinks wrote:

Just like after I was assaulted last year, because witness said I swore after the event, they couldn’t prosecute one without the other, I’m sure they said this to put me off pressing charges further

Since when did swearing become a criminal offence?

I believe it come under public order offence, but even when provoked by the other person

But I had a lot more to lose than the Censored even with the accusation on my record, so wasn’t worth pursuing with the police....... Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #333432 17th Oct 2017 10:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Northcroft wrote:
I still have a paper licence from 1978 and never had a point on it, am I unique ?

I am one year off he 70 ruling and have a paper licence from 1971 with no points on it

Apparently in some parts of the world it's common for older retired parents to be on your insurance so that that they can claim to be driving their kids' cars and take the penalty points. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #333444 18th Oct 2017 9:21 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Can I ask how you submitted the video to the police? I dare say on everyone's dash cam there will be a video file where they have gone 32 in a 30 while going down a hill or something but that may have been hours before the relevant incident.

As someone else said if I were to submit video evidence I wouldn't want to just hand over my memory card. I'd find the relevant bit of video and submit that. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #333489 19th Oct 2017 8:08 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I will only send the individual files, there is no way I would send the memory card. You can send the files via a smart phone or email. Download the files onto the phone or computer and send attached to a message or email.

Post #333492 19th Oct 2017 10:41 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Northcroft wrote:

There was one occasion in recent years it was more beneficial, when I tried to hire a car 5 years back, I wanted my partner to share the driving, she had a photocard which meant they wanted to charge her to phone the DVLA to check for points, my paper one was instantly accepted ! Rolling with laughter Whistle

If you hold entitlements for a HGV, Minibus and or a 7.5 tonner you need to apply well in advance (6Months min) or you will loose these and will also have to take a medical unless you already have one for HGV.

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #333493 19th Oct 2017 11:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>