Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Recommendations for some good offroad trips close to Sydney?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Recommendations for some good offroad trips close to Sydney?

Thought it might be cool to share some great spots where you usually take your Freelander to enjoy some nice driving and scenery.
I always like to hear suggestions where to go on the weekends, get out of the town to the bush!

I can start: one of my favourite destinations is around Barrington Tops National Park, it is a subalpine region so in winter you can get snow. Mt Allyn is great for some nice views, and it is only just over 3 hrs drive from Sydney. It can get a bit slippery when wet (which results in even more fun), there are some river crossings too. Few times I drove from Mt Allyn south via Carrabolla and Lostock Dam, then to Singleton and back to Sydney. The views between Mt Allyn and Lostock Dam are just fantastic! You are driving on s a ridge so you see far on either sides. Definetely recommend.
Few photos from over there:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #332837 9th Oct 2017 4:11 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Nice photos there mate, very well done, Vesko and me were up there around six months ago and you have really caught the magic of the area. What river crossing was that?

Post #332881 9th Oct 2017 12:28 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Nice photos, actually got some water there, haven't seen that stuff in Sydney for months now! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332885 9th Oct 2017 12:54 pm
kris-p

Thanks

The river was Paterson River, which flows into Lostock Dam. Really beautiful place, will be going back soon.

Feel free to share your favorite spots where I could go for a (weekend) trip Smile

Post #332923 9th Oct 2017 9:32 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A dirt road a little closer to Sydney is Mt Irvine Road out of the back out Mt Wilson to effectively Bilpin.

I have only done it my previous cars a Pegeot 504 & Seat Ibiza, but noticed last time many years ago there was a sign for 4WD only! There is a short section of about 50 metres (from memory) of sand at the bottom on the Mt Irvine dirt road but I took a run for it in previous cars.

It makes it a nice part of a round trip in the Blue Mountains, with lunch, morning & afternoon tea for wifey! You can stop at Mt Tomah Botanic Gardens for a few hours if you back track a little returning on the sealed road or if you are returning to Sydney that way & not the Bells Line of Road https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bells_Line_of_Road

From NSW Sixmaps http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/:

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332925 10th Oct 2017 2:34 am
mikehzz

There are lots of trips close to Sydney. Newnes is a nice campground especially across the river. The Six Foot Track from Cox's River Road down to the Swing Bridge and back out to Hampton. Abercrombie River National Park, Turon River National Park, Turon Gates to Sofala, Hill End is nice. If you are more adventurous then the Caves to Caves road from Jenolan to Wombeyan. There's also Yerranderrie. Every one of them is a weekend trip with mostly free camping, river crossings, hill climbs and reasonable 4wding.
Vesko and I try to get out there at least once a month. You are quite welcome to tag along. Surprised

Post #332931 10th Oct 2017 7:29 am
kris-p

Thanks Lightwater, I actually think I already did part of that track you are describing, but it was a while ago.

mikehzz, the Newnes campground is already on my wish list. I have already been in Capertee Valley and planning to go back as that region is just beautiful, and very close to Sydney. I was also looking at Coorongooba campground (which is not far from Newnes).

Post #333009 11th Oct 2017 6:21 am
mikehzz

If you've been to Capertee then a half a click out of town on the left is the turn off to Turon Gates. There's a gold mine of scenery, tracks, history, camping and river crossings down through there all the way to Sofala and Hill End. If you're game some of the tracks are very challenging but not compulsory.

Post #333011 11th Oct 2017 6:27 am
kris-p

Great stuff, thanks! I will definitely give this one a go, especially the river crossing.
Fun fact: There is a youtube video of Freelander 2 crossing the Turon River on Bridle Track Smile

Post #333012 11th Oct 2017 6:36 am
mikehzz

We were on the Bridle Track a few months back. Its blocked by the collapse at Monahans Bluff. We are keen to try Root Hog Crossing as its the bypass, but havent got around to it yet.

By the way if you havent done Bendethera down south, its well worth it.

Post #333014 11th Oct 2017 6:45 am
kris-p

Thanks for the heads up. There is also a video of a guy on a bike driving past the collapsed section. Its a shame, because it looks like a beautiful drive. So which way do you reckon it is better to drive, from Turon Gates to Sofala (and then to Hill End or at least up to the Monahans Bluff), or the other way around?

Bendethera has just been added to the wishlist Smile

Post #333020 11th Oct 2017 7:02 am
mikehzz

Its a bit of a maze of roads in there. The most direct route involves a very sharp turn towards upper Turon and then going through a couple of gated sections along a 10kph very rough rocky track that follows the river. Otherwise you go over Mt Horrible, yes that's its name. Very Happy
I've been through the whole area a dozen times and get lost every time, but it's a nice drive.
if you go through Turon River NP there are 3 or 4 river crossings on the Pinnacles fire trail that goes through to Sunny Corner and you can drive to Sofala from there.
The Bridle track is a 10-20kph track that is pretty rough but scenic. Before the collapse, Monahans Bluff was a real butt clencher, narrow and a sheer drop off the edge. To get to the best sections you need to either come in from Hill End or join it at Root Hog crossing.
Another area worth exploring is the Brindabellas out of Canberra. Mt Coree is spectacular and the camping on the river at McIntyres Hut very nice.

Post #333036 11th Oct 2017 10:43 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Sorry. Can't delete post. Asked a question then found the answer. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #333042 11th Oct 2017 11:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1