Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Sometimes you can’t write a script!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Sometimes you can’t write a script!

Over the years I’ve fitted many upgraded bulbs to cars. These include the FL2, the Fiesta and the Golf. So now comes the A3...

I bought some Philips Racing Vision bulbs and some LED sidelights. Managed to change the headlight bulbs with some difficulties and then I tried the sidelight bulbs. Removed it easy but could not get it to go back in.

Changed back to the standard sidelight to make sure it wasn’t the new bulb that was the problem but as I tried to insert it, the bulb pinged off and landed inside the headlight housing!!

Unlike on previous cars like my Fiesta, you can’t simply remove the headlight housing. According to Google research from various sources, the front bumper has to be removed in order to get to it!!! 😡

I’ve now got to draft in a mate of my dads who used to work for Audi and Mercedes and he now works for Rolls Royce. Just waiting for him to phone me back. He still does work on cars at a small garage his mate runs and I hope he can sort it and soon because a garage would charge a fair old bit to sort it! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Last edited by The Doctor on 8th Oct 2017 10:44 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #332721 7th Oct 2017 3:16 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

could you not reach it with a magnet? Common sense isn't very common.

Post #332723 7th Oct 2017 4:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

That has just this moment crossed my mind. I would need some sort of flexible magnet that is small enough to fit through the hole and of course drag the bulb back through the hole without it pinging back off again. If I succeeded, I then just have the rather irritating task of trying to get the damn thing to go in without this problem occurring. Looking online for something suitable magnet wise... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #332725 7th Oct 2017 5:13 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Think of it like a L405 it’s a bumper off job Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #332726 7th Oct 2017 5:17 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have a torch with flexi pull out magnet about 5 quid on eBay.

Post #332730 7th Oct 2017 6:10 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just spoken to the guy I mentioned. He said that before buying a magnet, to try a small pipe attached to the vacuum cleaner and access the housing via the DRL bulb hole for greater access and hoover the bulb out. Worth a try... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #332732 7th Oct 2017 6:34 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Even if you can't actually vacuum it up, as long as it is held on the end of a small diameter pipe by the pressure. Put a new bag in the vacuum for increased suction.

Some of that moth tacky glue paper on a the end on a coat hanger end folded as necessary, being careful not to touch anything else in the process. Try a few dry runs first with bluetack.

A bit of bluetack around the end of the vacuum pipe. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332737 7th Oct 2017 7:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I'll look at that option too. We have a Dyson so no need to worry about a new bag at least. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #332744 7th Oct 2017 9:04 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thank F for that Thud The vacuum idea succeeded in retrieving the bulb! I accessed the housing by removing the DRL bulb which enabled greater access.

I then had the task of fitting the LED sidelights and discovered that this time it went in easily and thus concluded that removing the DRL bulb whilst fitting the sidelight is the key to success. On the passenger side I proved this because the holder refused to go back in but once the DRL was out, in it went no problem Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #332771 8th Oct 2017 10:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1