Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Sudden issues with DAB reception...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AjM

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

A little disappointed with the answer to this which is 'the DAB radio is a bit rubbish'. Your not kidding LR, it has actually got worse and is now unusable anywhere as when driving around I only get about every 8th word of any song or dialog.
Had DAB for about 3 years now in various cars and never had a problem. Pretty crap really.

Post #333633 22nd Oct 2017 12:36 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Have you checked the antennae connections?
There are a lot of components to fail in the system - see here for example http://www.allbrit.de/epc.cfm?PAGE=4150205...SPRACHE=EN No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #333635 22nd Oct 2017 1:00 pm
AjM

I haven't no, only because I had not been near the boot etc when the issues started. I will check all of them, thank you.

Post #333641 22nd Oct 2017 2:01 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

AjM wrote:
Thanks, FM is a good idea but by that logic I could also go back to dial up and vhs tapes...

It isn't an out of area problem as it has been working fine up until 5 days ago. Off to LR it is I suppose...

Except that FM has superior quality and wider broadcast range. DAB is MP2 (yes, a format older than MP3).

DAB+ is not broadcast in the UK. DAB is a race to the bottom for quality - you can actually use lower and lower bit rates.

And while you don't get fizzle and pop as the signal fades out, you just get nothing. I'd prefer a bit of hiss, rather than loose what I am listening to completely. I am not against digital, but what I'd like is DAB+ at CD quality bit rate, but I may go to my grave before that happens.

Having said that, DAB seems better on the FL2 than FM for our local station, but it does not go very far.

Post #334279 1st Nov 2017 5:35 pm
deodaruk

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Rimini Red

AjM

When you say audio is cutting in and out, is it a complete and sudden on/off, or is there that momentary break-up when the sound becomes "burbly".

Checking the antenna connection is easy and worth doing because it is just a press stud onto the window. They do fall off, my FM one frequently does. However if the sound is suddenly cutting in and out, it might be a fault with the DAB unit itself.

Bob

Post #334991 12th Nov 2017 6:43 pm
AjM

I have concluded that the radio is just rubbish after 3 years of DAB without a hitch in other cars. The FM is poor and the DAB is unusable, and then to top it all I can't stream music via Bluetooth as that cuts in and out more than the DAB. However with an aux cable it is fine, but I can't control the music.

So, I did some research and found Grom. A company that makes leads for Android phones that fools the car into thinking it is an iPod. It was £50 but plugs into my S8 and into the USB of the car and it works faultlessly, displaying all the song stuff and pictures, and allowing me full control as if it were an iPod/phone thing. Great thing is, it is the same size etc the normal charging lead.
Result.

Post #335150 14th Nov 2017 8:03 pm
DirtyDuck

LoL - the DAB is better on ours than my 5-Series. Depends on your reference point !

Funny, your trouble with the S8 is a reason I may be going to the Dark Side - makers seem to ensure they are compatible with Apple, love it or hate it. (I run a Windows phone now - no one cares about that, trust me !) And I don't want to be flaffing around with adapter widgets. The only thing that concerns me - Apple is far from flawless too, and getting worse it seems.

Post #335157 14th Nov 2017 8:51 pm
DirtyDuck

BTW, how do you bluetooth audio to the FL2 - I could not find that as an option.

Post #335158 14th Nov 2017 8:52 pm
AjM

I have had Vw's, Seats and Skodas recently and the DAB worked faultlessly in all 3 (admittedly the same headunit with different names), whereas the LR has not worked at all ever, even in London.
I think the BT audio was only on the meridian systems...., but it appears to be terrible. When it does work the quality is awful.
A free phone and free contract for life would not make me get an iPhone. I had a windows phone for years and loved it but was fed up of not having apps. The Galaxy S6, 7 and now 8 have been amazing and when you think how far ahead Samsung are in terms of spec than apple it is a no brainer.

Newer cars are coming with android as well as apple play now as companies are realising that well over 70% of the earth use android but this does not help those with a car MY 10-16. The lead I have got however is fantastic. Does exactly what it would do as an iPhone. No apps, no software just the lead.

Post #335162 14th Nov 2017 10:42 pm
AjM

deodaruk wrote:
AjM

When you say audio is cutting in and out, is it a complete and sudden on/off, or is there that momentary break-up when the sound becomes "burbly".

Checking the antenna connection is easy and worth doing because it is just a press stud onto the window. They do fall off, my FM one frequently does. However if the sound is suddenly cutting in and out, it might be a fault with the DAB unit itself.

Bob

Is this right? The left stud appears to be slightly rusty which is strange and does not have anything attached...?

Post #335509 20th Nov 2017 3:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12