Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Give me my td5 disco back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Oiy Dartman behave yourself, I know exactly which gear is right for the road Evil or Very Mad

but then I do drive an auto. Laughing
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #332164 1st Oct 2017 8:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

LR NUT wrote:
Would be hard to find a D2 with a rotten or repaired chassis!

without, you mean I think Jules

Post #332168 1st Oct 2017 9:04 pm
jules

Swobt wrote:
Jules how do you get 36 I've been driving like a grandad and best so far working it out and not believing the dashboard lie ometer is 28mpg

I long journeys I get 38. The wife tends to get 32 as she drives shorter distances and is less, how shall we put it, mechanically sympathetic and so it averages about 36. I used to get 40mpg from our previous TD4. Jules

Post #332169 1st Oct 2017 9:10 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

jules wrote:
LR NUT wrote:
Would be hard to find a D2 with a rotten or repaired chassis!

without, you mean I think

Laughing predictive txt should have read what I wrote prior to posting it Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #332171 1st Oct 2017 9:20 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Dave47 wrote:
Oiy Dartman behave yourself, I know exactly which gear is right for the road Evil or Very Mad

but then I do drive an auto. Laughing
Dave

The SD4 is an auto, if you drive too gently you find yourself in lower gears than you need to be, if you use more acceleration when you reach your required speed and back off it changes to one gear higher than if you gently attain that speed, never even considered anyone wanted a manual Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #332185 2nd Oct 2017 4:26 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I get about 16 mpg around Sydney with its hills, start stop traffic (mostly stop) & traffic lights. In the country up to 27 mpg. It is the tallest car I could fit in the garage by 10mm if I am sitting in it, 0mm if I am not sitting in!

& it has Volvo parts!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 2nd Oct 2017 5:33 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #332188 2nd Oct 2017 5:29 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

double post! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332189 2nd Oct 2017 5:31 am
jules

jules wrote:
Swobt wrote:
Jules how do you get 36 I've been driving like a grandad and best so far working it out and not believing the dashboard lie ometer is 28mpg

I long journeys I get 38. The wife tends to get 32 as she drives shorter distances and is less, how shall we put it, mechanically sympathetic and so it averages about 36. I used to get 40mpg from our previous TD4.

Today driven from home to Skipton , North Yorkshire - via M6 & M65, 150 miles , averaged 38.7 mpg and wasnt overtaken very often Whistle .

Jules

Post #332338 3rd Oct 2017 7:30 pm
Largered

[quote="Lightwater"

& it has Volvo parts!

Click image to enlarge
[/quote]

and it has much much more FORD parts on it .......... as it was designed AND built by Ford

I often think I should change the Green Oval badges for Blue Ovals Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #332339 3rd Oct 2017 7:42 pm
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

It was actually designed by Land Rover when they were part of the Ford Premier Auto Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Automotive_Group

Like Dartman the one said, Land Rovers have always been 'bitsers'. The Freelander 1 had the same door handles as the Rover 25 and its interior door handles can probably trace their ancestry back to the Austin Allegro Laughing

Land Rover are not the only company that is part of a group that does this. I once had a conversation with someone at Aston Martin who told me that one of their vehicles used the same body controller as a Ford Mondeo. PSA do the same with Citroens and Peugeots.

The ECUs, drive train components etc may be common to other vehicles but the design is most definitely Land Rover.

The Freelander 2 is not as roomy or versatile as a D2 but it's much more practical than its replacement (Discovery Sport Rolling Eyes). I was really disappointed when they dropped the Freelander name. Bit cynical considering that the Freelander gave Land Rover the sales that made it the company it is today. Without the Freelander Land Rover would still be a small player. Also without the Discovery, there would have been no Freelander. Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #332353 3rd Oct 2017 10:41 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

If you feel that the FL2 isn't a Land Rover because you find Ford stickers, don't delve too deep in to your Discovery 2 TD5 as you'll find that's full of parts stamped BMW, therefore not a Land Rover either, In fact if you look at any vehicle that way you're in for disappointment as almost all the parts you find attached are not made by the manufacturer at all, they are all made by other manufacturers and just bolted on, Bosch, Valeo, Denso, Siemens to name but a tiny amount.

My TD5 was a good car but MPG was nowhere near as good as on my 2007 FL2 TD4

Post #332369 4th Oct 2017 8:35 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've got a Td5 (with a good chassis) but keep thinking of changing to an sd4 freelander !
I'd say that my current average is around 28 so I'd expect a small improvement always expected around the 35 mark from an sd4?

Post #332416 4th Oct 2017 2:49 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I changed from a Disco 2 TD5 to an SD4 Freely nearly 5 years ago.

I loved my Disco. it always put a smile on my face. Unfortunately after 240k miles it was not reliable enough as my sole means of transport and I just couldn't keep up with the repairs or the expense. if you are able to do all your own maintenance they are not too expensive to maintain. Now the latest models are 13 or 14 years old they probably only make sense as an "enthusiasts" car

I now love my Freely, but the two vehicles are barely comparable on any count apart from the badge.

As for fuel consumption. With the Disco it was possible to get 30 mpg on a run, but overall 25 to 27 was much more common. Likewise with the Freely it is possible to get 40 mpg + on a run, but overall 32 to 34 is more realistic

Steve

Post #332426 4th Oct 2017 4:32 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Re: Give me my td5 disco back

Swobt wrote:
Been driving the fl2 sd4 xs for 4 months now and the more I drive it the less I like it 1=mpg sh##e 2=its to small 3= its not a landrover( 1st sticker I find ford fuse box). Sorry rant over and sorry all you fl2 loving people. Think I'm in the market for a good td5 discovery or a motorbike or both.

Can't give it back, I never took it .................... Laughing

1 = real MPG is available in lots of places (yes it's not great, but it is a nearly 2 tonne mobile brick - is a td5 better?)
2 = the car is the size it is
3 = semantics - who cares what the labels say, is it solid and dependable? (if yours isn't that's of course a valid complaint)

We've not had ours long enough to love or hate it or know if it will be reliable, but it feels solid and has no squeaks or rattles. We get between 27mpg (lowest average on local runs) and 37mpg on long motorway runs.

Post #332434 4th Oct 2017 5:42 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

discofan wrote:
......... I'd expect a small improvement always expected around the 35 mark from an sd4?

I would not get your hopes up too far - I'd say only a 10% improvement is more likely, depending on how and where you drive of course, but we are averaging very low 30's overall.

Post #332435 4th Oct 2017 5:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>