Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Standard Audio Radio -doesn't properly remember last channel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aesmith

Standard Audio Radio -doesn't properly remember last channel

Hi,

Our 2008 FL2 has the "Standard Audio" option. For a couple of years now the radio has had an odd malfunction after you switch the radio back on after it's been off, or when you restart the car if it the radio was left on last time. What the radio does it to start up with the display looking correct, showing the correct radio station etc, but the noise is simply a mix of white noise and vague hints of radio reception unrelated to the actual channel. The work around is to select a different channel, which immediately works correctly, then switch back to the original one.

Any ideas?

Although the fault's been apparent for a few years, I'm now chasing a battery drain problem so want to eliminate any electrical oddities.

Thanks in advance, Tony S ----------
Tony S

Post #337461 18th Dec 2017 9:31 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I don't know if this is relevant, but in the days when you had car phones which were plumbed in to the car audio system rather than using bluetooth I had a car that started doing this after a new phone had been fitted and the fitter had wired up the phone incorrectly such that when the car was switched off the power feed to keep the audio in quiescent mode (and remembering stations etc) was disconnected. Is it possible that your 2008 model was once wired up like this? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #337467 18th Dec 2017 10:58 am
aesmith

Thanks. As far as I can see from the circuit diagrams, the standard audio fitment doesn't seem to have a permanent live. The radio behaves exactly the same when first switched on, whether the car had been switched off normally or left with the battery disconnected. ----------
Tony S

Post #337565 19th Dec 2017 1:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Another thought is that if the unit has no permanent power feed then there must be a small battery in the radio unit that keeps the clock ticking and the memory working when everything is switched off, (just like the button cells that you get on a PC motherboard to keep the bios ticking over). This battery might be failing after nearly 10 years. If this is the case you would have to remove the radio unit and open it up and see what's inside.
The other possibility, of course, is that it's just a faulty unit. Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #337571 19th Dec 2017 2:30 pm
aesmith

Good point about the clock. If I switch off normally, i.e. switch off the ignition, then when I next use the car the clock will be correct as you'd expect. If the battery's disconnected then the clock resets itself to 13:00. So there must be some sort of permanent live. Although the diagram suggests only one positive feed (from fuse 6 in the passenger footwell), maybe that feed is permanently live with some other signal telling the radio to shut down. ----------
Tony S

Post #337573 19th Dec 2017 2:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1