« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Keyless entry and start vulnerability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Keyless entry and start vulnerability

Collecting the A3 on Tuesday which has a keyless system and whilst my car is very far from the sought after S and RS models, it does suffer from the same vulnerability. Fords, BMW's and Land Rovers fitted with this are also vulnerable.

I have GAP insurance should the worst happen but I simply cannot run to these fancy Viper alarms or trackers and the disklok I have in the shed started to dent and scuff the steering wheel when I last used it on a car.

In the ST I had, there was a solution that involved removing the fuse that powered the OBD port, thus defeating the OBD port hack.

Anyone have this on their LR or RR and thought of a solution? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #331752 23rd Sep 2017 10:01 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/security-device-c...B00XPP6P6K

Or just relocate the OBD port somewhere that’s not easily accessible. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #331758 23rd Sep 2017 10:32 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I thought £16.99 I'll have that, then I saw it was £169 Laughing

I'll bear it in mind though Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #331761 23rd Sep 2017 11:17 am
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Do these work?
https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-Signal-...B00Y3FLYWG

Post #331775 23rd Sep 2017 6:40 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

How close are the neighbours?

I have a usb Software Defined Radio (SDR) similar to this one which I can hook up to a raspberry pi and flood the 433Mhz frequency, once the car has been locked.

Downside is that no one else in the local area can lock/unlock there cars and so I can't use it (morals), but it seems like a pretty robust solution to wireless hacking.

Oh you can also use it to record anyone trying to wireless hack a car which could prove handy if you need evidence for insurance.

Post #331786 24th Sep 2017 6:21 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just to dig this topic up again, I ordered this which arrived yesterday:

RFID Signal Blocking Bag, Wisdompro® RFID Signal Shielding Pouch Wallet Case for Cell Phone Privacy Protection and Car Key FOB(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HETGX00?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I’ve seen the video where the thieves steal a Merc by scanning for the key signal and amplify it so that the car thinks the key is present and it unlocks and allows the thieves to start the engine.

This pouch has a silver lining which blocks the signal and manages to house both keys despite one set of keys having a shed load of other keys and fobs on it. I’ve tested it by pressing the buttons through the pouch and by standing outside the car where it would normally detect the keys and there was absolutely no response from the car.

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #337776 22nd Dec 2017 10:20 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Gap insurance doesnt always pay out as you'd expect. I had gap insurance on my BMW. It was involved in a crash and it was repaired at a cost of £22K instead of writing it off - because of the gap insurance which would have meant handing over £30K instead. It was in the workshop for 2 months. Jules

Post #337790 22nd Dec 2017 12:25 pm
Largered

As we all know insurance companies can make some very strange decisions.

My daughter had a hatchback, which I paid £2000 for, 3 months later a Jag rear ended her vehicle. Direct Line paid £3,300 for the repair, against the Jag insurers Churchill (arn't they the same company ?)

Its only because its the law ............ they are able to get away with it !! ...... although WE all have to pay for their STUPIDITY.

Post #337794 22nd Dec 2017 1:04 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:
Gap insurance doesnt always pay out as you'd expect. I had gap insurance on my BMW. It was involved in a crash and it was repaired at a cost of £22K instead of writing it off - because of the gap insurance which would have meant handing over £30K instead. It was in the workshop for 2 months.

The itemised repairs came to several pages - included new tailgate, rear bumper, whole exhaust inc DPF & cat,, windscreen, dashboard, front air bags, steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioners, reactive seat head rests, bonnet, front grill, front bumper inc lights, headlghts, headlight washers, wings repaired, respray.

The repairs cost more than the car was worth I think, but less than the Gap insurance payout.

The repair was done to a high standard and the car looked and drove as good as before , but somehow was never quite the same. Jules

Post #337795 22nd Dec 2017 1:47 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I bet it didn't stay on your drive for long Smile MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #337801 22nd Dec 2017 3:19 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Vanny wrote:
How close are the neighbours?

I have a usb Software Defined Radio (SDR) similar to this one which I can hook up to a raspberry pi and flood the 433Mhz frequency, once the car has been locked.

Downside is that no one else in the local area can lock/unlock there cars and so I can't use it (morals), but it seems like a pretty robust solution to wireless hacking.

Oh you can also use it to record anyone trying to wireless hack a car which could prove handy if you need evidence for insurance.

The device you describe also is against the law whilst using 433 mhz radio amateur frequency (secondary user)
prime user is M O D (Ministery of defence)
I,m sure they might not be too happy with broadband all be it local, deliberate interference
plus as well a lot of remote control devices such as cranes pumps and other specif licensed users short range might not be too impressed if there controls were suddenly "Jammed " Whistle Whistle Whistle Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #337828 23rd Dec 2017 6:43 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

The Doctor wrote:
Just to dig this topic up again, I ordered this which arrived yesterday:

RFID Signal Blocking Bag, Wisdompro® RFID Signal Shielding Pouch Wallet Case for Cell Phone Privacy Protection and Car Key FOB(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HETGX00?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thumbs Up

No garage or driveways where I am, so we're street parking and often could be over 100 yards, or even farther, away from home.
If I stick my key fob in one of these pouches, is it likely to be effective at that distance? I suppose it's a worthwhile investment though for the occasions when I do get to park outside

Post #337835 23rd Dec 2017 10:55 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The point of the pouch is to protect your car when the car is outside your house and the crims are outside scanning for the signal. If your car is further away, the crims would need to relay the signal on. For the sake of £8.49, it’s worth it. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #337836 23rd Dec 2017 11:07 am
EYorkshire

FL2's are not full smart keys, not even the MY13 and later so why hide them in a metal pouch. Our smart keys are not sending out a signal unless a button is pressed, unlike full smart fobs that continuously scan for the car being present.

Post #337840 23rd Dec 2017 12:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1