« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Question regarding air vents in a house
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Question regarding air vents in a house

I have a semi detached house built around 1950 with cavity walls that have been insulated in the past by a previous owner. Each room has these rather ugly air bricks that I would like to able to brick up and plaster over, I appreciate that the one in the kitchen where the oil boiler is and the one in the front room will need to stay (we use an open fire sometimes in the front room) but what about the others, can these safely be filled in?

Post #331695 22nd Sep 2017 10:49 am
pfjths

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

The short answer is no.

A free flow of air reduces condensation and thus the potential for mould (aside from the other issues already identified).

One option (often seen in relatively modern houses) is to have trickle vents above the windows. These have the required cross section for airflow and thus the airbrick can be filled in. Normally the only option for trickle vents is with replacement windows... So possibly not the solution you are looking for.

Post #331735 22nd Sep 2017 8:51 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Why not ask the opinion of your local council building inspector. Homes in the 1950's were not double glazed or centrally heated so specifications have changed and hopefully your boiler has a balanced flu and your bathroom has an extractor fan. Any room with a open fire / log burner does need an air supply and more importantly a carbon-monoxide monitor. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #331739 22nd Sep 2017 10:00 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no air bricks in my house, but as an old farmhouse it has its own leaks so Im not concerned, Also Mrs G opens the windows so many times that Im considered fixing an alarm type loop stopping the boiler firing up if a window is open At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #331743 23rd Sep 2017 8:08 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

pfjths wrote:
The short answer is no.

A free flow of air reduces condensation and thus the potential for mould (aside from the other issues already identified).

One option (often seen in relatively modern houses) is to have trickle vents above the windows. These have the required cross section for airflow and thus the airbrick can be filled in. Normally the only option for trickle vents is with replacement windows... So possibly not the solution you are looking for.

Totally agree about the airflow the times I've known known people remove a gas fire from a chimney breast and not put a vent in,it always goes damp,as for how much airflow the op will get with cavity wall insulation I don't know,personally the insulation is something I would never do.

Post #331744 23rd Sep 2017 8:12 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Another reason to keep the ventilation bricks or some other means of ventilation is, depending on where you live and what type of sub-strata your house is built on is Radon gas build up. Radon is a naturally occuring radioactive gas and usually occurs in granite and sand stone. Some parts of Scotland, the south west and the midlands have the highest levels of Radon. Usually normal ventilation is adequate to remove it but in some areas other measures are needed.

J

Post #331759 23rd Sep 2017 11:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1