Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2010 SD4 auto 62.5k: "slip" @ 1.8-2.2k rpm - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
sd42010

United Kingdom 

The turbo noises seem too "quick" in their repetition/oscillation - my noise is more laboured and it sounds more mechanical (like a grating)?

Can't help feel this (http://www.freel2.com/forum/post322632.html#322632) is similar which, at time of last post, was alternator on the turbo - I've msg'ed Graham to see if he can shed any more light.

Could do with some ballpark prices for alternator on turbo and turbo replacement - or at very least, labour time for them...

Post #331459 18th Sep 2017 6:40 pm
sd42010

United Kingdom 

Found this searching for turbo - not the same way of causing but very similar noise! Freelander from 33 seconds.

Post #331483 19th Sep 2017 6:40 am
sd42010

United Kingdom 

Appreciate the help so far, guys - thanks to those who have responded already.
The car is going in on Monday so I'd appreciate any further/final thoughts on this beforehand if you have any?

Post #331718 22nd Sep 2017 4:58 pm
sd42010

United Kingdom 

A brief update for those of you still following.

Reproducible - placing foot firmly on brake pedal, rev'ing engine - at point of lift-off, chah chah chah chah. Sounds remarkably like turbo flutter, (not so) surprisingly. Current thinking is, it's turbo pressure being dumped (out of the waste gate) but awaiting turbo experts evaluation.

Will search again for posts but any proffered would be very welcome...

Post #332452 4th Oct 2017 7:35 pm
999mick

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

did You manage to resolve this issue ?

Post #341249 2nd Feb 2018 4:16 pm
sd42010

United Kingdom 

Mick, sorry for not updating the thread - have been meaning to... So here goes:

After an initial interest from the local indy in resolving the issues, and after throwing a significant (£800 or so) at fixing fault codes (replacing MAF sensor), smoke test (replacing slightly leaky hose), and doing software upgrades on gearbox, the indy lost interest - in fact, not returning calls and replying to emails whilst still being courteous yet stand off-ish when I recontacted!

Managed to get them to test the actuator arm and clean the turbo with spray before my patience ran out.

All the above resulted in a minor improvement (it takes longer for the issue to start) but it still does it.

It's not got worse so we're sort of living with it (the wife says it doesn't do the kangaroo any more so she's not concerned with the power loss issue).

There are other things to try (sensors: fuel, crankshaft, temperature; pull turbo out for proper clean/rebuild; EGR blank; new fuel filter - though it was replaced eight months before the problems started) but it will probably need to get worse before we do anything.

It's due an engine oil service soon so will probably attempt fuel filter again, as well as coolant - if my mate can't do these for me, I'll probably ask the garage to do the ancillary belt, PTU oil, and rear diff/haldex oil too - though I'm cowering at the thought of the cost already!

So sorry I can't help more.

Are you experiencing similar? What's your diagnosis at this stage?

Post #341350 3rd Feb 2018 12:36 pm
sd42010

United Kingdom 

Further update. The issue has got worse in the past months and now the problem occurs from cold (albeit the past few times I've seen it, the weather was warm).

Alex was kind enough to link here from this post to here - the OP seems to have solved it with lubration of the turbo arm/lever; the indy said mine was fine(!) when we reviewed (and cleaned the turbo) but I remember it being stiff when I watched him trying to move it.

Will go to another local garage I use for servicing and get them to lubricate it whilst they attend to another matter on the car.

Post #356417 8th Sep 2018 10:37 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

has it got 4 MATCHED tyres ? not just sizes ?
different makes of tyres offer different circumferences. Had quite a number of these where different wheel speeds has caused huge engine management issues caused by confusion from the haldex and creates a drives issue that makes the very jerky or the box hunt up and down Very Happy Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #357020 16th Sep 2018 11:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123