Home > Technical > Oil change transfer/PTU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Oil change transfer/PTU

Hi all,

I tried to replace the oil in the transfer/PTU yesterday. It seemed to be overfilled as oil ran out of the unit on removal of the filler plug. I found it hard to get a hose /pipe down into the unit. Tried with a plastic hose first but replaced this with a piece of brake pipe connected to a large syringe. I was able to withdraw 400ml of oil from the unit with this. I guess approx 1/2 of the volume was left in there. I then filled back 400 ml before it started to drip out of the filler hole. The Haynes manual states that 120ml should be drained of after this. I felt a bit unsecure about the whole process, so I just left the amount put in alone. Basically, 400ml out, then 400ml of fresh oil in.
The old oil did not look that bad. I had a magnet stripsed to the filler plug for a few weeks, and there was no metal catched to the plug on removal. Seems like the unit is healthy.

What do you think?? How do you drain your units fully? Should I just repeat my procedure after driving a few miles to replace another half? What about setting the level? Do you drain 120ml off after filling fully?

All advice is greatly appreciated Smile

Post #331406 18th Sep 2017 7:44 am
de1979

England 

I remember reading on here that the hose has to be at around 4 or 5 o'clock position to reach the bottom of the unit, but even then it's tight.

Post #331431 18th Sep 2017 12:45 pm
MRRover75

OK. I think its in that position i was. I used a hose first with a diameter of around 7,5mm, found it tigth in there. I got out 300ml with that one. Then I used a piece of brake pipe, diameter approx 5mm. Then I got out approx 100ml more, but I think that one was to stiff to get to the bottom.
I think I will do another try with a thinner hose, but since I have allready replaced 400ml, I am not sure I would bother. How important is it to drain of 120ml? Can anybody confirm this amount?

Post #331432 18th Sep 2017 12:57 pm
MRRover75

I did a new attempt yesterday. Got out 600ml with a 5mm silicone hose, I guess this is most of the oil in there? I then refilled with 480ml of fresh oil, 120ml extracted from full fill as per specifications.

Post #331629 21st Sep 2017 11:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1