« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Thinking of buying . . . now bought one
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Hi Sid.
I have exactly the same model and colour on a 13 plate.

Shouldn't have too many issues really, just make sure everything works, scroll through all the settings on terrain response, ensure the hill descent symbol comes on and/or flashes as it should, check all the buttons work including the heated steering wheel which isn't that obvious to see at first..

Underneath you shouldn't have too much to see to worry about. Condition and quality of tyres,
Pretty much all the same stuff you would check on any used car purchase. Just get a decent warranty with it.

The auto box may feel a little jerky or not smooth on the test drive, don't worry too much about this as its an intelligent gearbox and will learn your driving style over a couple of hundred miles. After that it should be smooth and responsive, if a little slow to pick up away from junctions.

do your research to find out how things work on the FL2 and what should or should not happen, there is tons of info on this site.

oh and your gonna love the Meridian 850w surround system... Very Happy

good luck and don't forget pics of the one you get Thumbs Up

Post #332492 5th Oct 2017 8:25 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sid

Go to Autotrader website.

Go to 'sell my car', then 'value my car'.

Enter the car reg you wish to buy, and its mileage, select buying and you will get an accurate price.

I successfully used Autotrader to find my car.

shortcut is
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-valuation FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #332501 5th Oct 2017 9:14 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks for such quick responses. Think I was expecting those to be the main points to check.
The Autotrader valuation site throws up £17-£18500 which is pretty much in line with dealers price. Best get down there and have a look I suppose.
I can't help but thinking that I should go with the mainstream - Mazda CX-5, Kia, Hyundai, after all I live in SE London and not up a mountain. But then again, why shouldn't my heart rule my head - if I'd have done that years ago I'd not have bought the Impreza and never regretted a minute of the time I owned it 😄
Even 'Significant Other' has slowly been warming to it. Think she still views it as a bit of a box, a tank, but appreciates that if its not going to give me the grief getting in and out, that's a price worth paying 👍

Post #332507 5th Oct 2017 9:40 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

But it's a very comfortable tank.... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #332522 5th Oct 2017 11:01 am
Sidthecat

Going back tomorrow (this time with Significant Other) for a second look at a 2013 (Sept) plate SD4 HSE. It looked fine on first inspection, save for a scratch about 6 inch look on rear o/s door, and drove well, albeit I wasn't able to test its off-road capabilities Laughing
They're a Mazda main dealership and took it in as px for a CX5 - 49k on the clock and it's out for just shy of £18k, which seemed reasonable - they claim to have discounted the price for the scratch! My local man reckons that could be up to £250 to deal with, which might give me some leverage on the price if SO approves it Wink I also wondered if the fact that it's not a Mazda and seemed to be the only 'outsider' on the lot, they might be keen to get shot at less than its out for?
My only concern I suppose is that it's clearly a non-LR dealership and I wonder whether it would get the same sort of service prior to my buying it as it would from a LR dealer. It'll come with a 12 month warranty, although wasn't able to get sight of it at the first visit. It'll also come with a years MOT. Would have preferred buying through an LR dealership, but struggling to find suitable at our budget.
Any thoughts on all of this would be welcome.
Thanks
Sorry a final question . . . are there any major service items that may need dealing with in the not too distant future that undoubtedly won't get picked up by the Mazda guys? May be further leverage on that price

Post #332740 7th Oct 2017 7:54 pm
dunkley201

No major items at your mileage. Big service (cam belt etc) at 150k/10yr. Although on the forum we recommend transmission oils & Haldex filter. ( I had my Haldex & rear diff done at 70k). Also changed my Auto ATF. LR dealers won’t understand any of that as it’s not called for. Rolling Eyes

Re the warranty, you can get a decent LR Warranty by getting a LR Dealer to check it over first at your expense. I did that at the first service it needed.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #332756 8th Oct 2017 3:10 am
Sidthecat

Well that's it, the deed has been done and we are now owners Very Happy , well almost. The car needs to be serviced, MOT'd and valeted so hopefully picking it up over the next or following weekend.

Post #332789 8th Oct 2017 3:45 pm
dunkley201

Phew! That’s a relief, thought this would run longer that the Mousetrap! Laughing Seriously, pleased you have settled on one. I am sure you won’t regret it. Now to just enjoy it!

Post #332830 8th Oct 2017 11:21 pm
dunkley201

Double post - my B.B. was soooo sloooow in the early hours! Yawn 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Last edited by dunkley201 on 9th Oct 2017 7:27 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #332831 8th Oct 2017 11:21 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Phew, that’s a relief. I thought people were going to be double posting to keep this thread going. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #332846 9th Oct 2017 7:24 am
Sidthecat

Sorry, me again. Yet to take delivery, although next weekend is drawing nearer Very Happy
Wondered what the vehicle security was like? Someone has suggested that Freelanders are popular with low-life and I should consider a Tracker, or similar? I'm in SE London so perhaps a different feral here than say in sunny Devon, although in the ten or so years I've been here there's never been any car crime I'm aware of

Post #333081 11th Oct 2017 7:13 pm
dunkley201

No low life here! Shocked TBH, the FL2 seems to be one of the better re security. Not aware of many being nicked. The double locking is effective. Not many get broken in to either. Don’t confuse with the Defender, which converts in to a parts kit before you blink, or late model “keyless” RRs whose key signals get hacked.

The FL2 is not impregnable, but not really susceptible to the opportunist thief. Also not so desirable that it is on the pro thief shopping list. Now, London. Only you will know if it is worth fitting a tracker. It has factory alarm and immobiliser only.

Now to get those reports from those whose pride & joy has actually been nicked or broken in to......Oh! and Yorky Bob!

Last edited by dunkley201 on 11th Oct 2017 7:48 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #333087 11th Oct 2017 7:45 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

A big Censored off dog and baseball bat I find works quite well. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #333088 11th Oct 2017 7:46 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

dunkley201 wrote:

Now to get those reports from those whose pride & joy has actually been nicked or broken in to......Oh! and Yorky Bob!

Bob

I thought it was Steve D that wanted some new knives. Laughing You get a month of soon as I am off to the hills. Thud FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #333089 11th Oct 2017 7:59 pm
dunkley201

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #333093 11th Oct 2017 9:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>