Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

+1 for Tanya and +1 for Varta - Silver or AGM.

Just be aware that Tanya battery selector is a bit rubbish.

Easy enough to check your measurements and then you have the correct battery (from memory 315x175x190)

Sensible folk on here pre-empting that dead battery!

One way you can tell if the battery is going I have found is to use a cigar lighter voltmeter - if the battery is sound, there should be periods when the battery is not being charged by the car and the volts will drop to well under 13 volts. It will rise over 14 on overrun. If the volts are nailed high, the battery is coming to the end of it's life. It's counter intuitive, but ranging volts implies a strong battery, but fixed high volts suggests the opposite.

Post #334283 1st Nov 2017 4:53 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Think I've had my Duracell heavy duty a bit over a year now it's been excellent,just because it's what I do I put it on a conditioning charge this week ready for winter,car gets short runs and I thought it wise.

Post #334289 1st Nov 2017 6:38 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just replaced mine with 80Ah Varta from Tayna having had 2 non starts in 2 days. Was still original LR so 8 years old, not bad going, but time for a change. Excellent service and great price. Ordered 1pm, arrived next day 2 pm. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #335189 15th Nov 2017 2:48 pm
countax

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Biscay Blue

gasman wrote:
I got one of those batteries of eBay last year �89.50 plus �7.50 delivered. Exactly the same as the old one on the car. For some reason it comes with the JLR logo tipexed out. Same size same amps etc. Only time will tell but so far so good. Thumbs Up

I ordered one from possibly the same ebay seller this week for the same price and it was delivered 2 days later. I decided to take a gamble on the lack of 4 year warranty as anywhere i bought one outside of the local area i live would mean incurring return shipping costs and the vehicle off the road whilst any claim was resolved. Out of curiosity i removed the tipex to reveal the JLR logo.
Fitting it was really easy and it took less than 10 mins to fit, actually it took longer to remove the shipping packaging than fit the battery. I did not need to do a window reset, just needed to set the time on the radio.
Starting the car is now much faster and after a 5 mile drive the stop start started working for the first time in about 2 years. The date code on the neg terminal was 18/17 so my guess is its a 6 month old battery.
It may be just psychological, but the car seems much smoother. i had a slightly lumpy idle and now it idles really smooth so maybe removing power from the ecu has cleared out something that was causing the lumpy idle.
For those looking for a replacement AGM battery put '12 Volt 80AH RC140 800 Amps AGM VARTA Car Battery' into ebay search and you should find the seller.
Nigel

Post #336462 2nd Dec 2017 6:38 pm
countax

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Biscay Blue

Correction, i did need to do a window reset once i realised i had lost one touch up and down.
Nigel

Post #336926 9th Dec 2017 1:25 pm
IslandGPS

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Considering a replacement for the original Exide RC135 and swayed towards the Lucas LP110 from Tanya batteries.

Does anyone have alternative suggestion? I have a 2007 FL2 HSE manual that doesn’t have stop/start.

I’d also appreciate removal/fitting advice, looking from the front of the vehicle there is a vertical metal rod, is this a securing device? Also is there the usual metal clamp at the base of the battery holding it firm, its difficultto see with everything stillin place?

Post #363866 16th Jan 2019 11:39 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The vertical metal rod is really a very long shouldered bolt that holds the base clamping device in place. When it’s unscrewed, you can lift the battery out and if you are unlucky the base clamp will try to escape into the engine bay. If it doesn’t get out it will be left at the bottom of the battery tray and will be in the way of the new battery so remove it. You can move the new battery around and arrange the clamp into a suitable place that holds the battery down and allows the long bolt to be screwed in. Don’t forget to move the battery breather from the old battery to the new battery.

Post #363872 16th Jan 2019 12:02 pm
SYFL2

I have same car and year as you yes undo the rod and it should lift out I don’t remember anymore to undo,the battery is well heavy I found a step stool helped me get mine out. I got a Duracell heavy duty from ECP if I remember correctly it’s been excellent.

Post #363873 16th Jan 2019 12:04 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

You will need to reset the clock and one shot windows. tell you how to do it in your owners pack. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363874 16th Jan 2019 12:30 pm
IslandGPS

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks guys. I presume there are no issues about losing anything else whilst batteries are swapped over?

Post #363877 16th Jan 2019 1:00 pm
SYFL2

No it’s just as Bob said above,

Post #363878 16th Jan 2019 1:06 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Fitted my new battery today... Varta F19 Silver Dynamic 85Ah. Ordered from Tanya yesterday, delivered today.

The car has not been used for over a week and following the really cold night, it took some cranking for its first start but thereafter... great again.

Reset the windows, forgot the clock. You'd think a so called top end system would pick up the time signal via RDS. Confused

Post #365161 31st Jan 2019 8:06 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Varta F19 being delivered today, now then being vertically challenged and neck and back issues what is the removal sequence please?
Earth first?

PS. Halfords a 64 mile round trip so no not going there Very Happy If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #365578 5th Feb 2019 1:48 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Being a little wary of batteries, I separated the wires making up the earth connection so I could get them well out of the way. Dropped the large (13mm) nut down the back of the battery box. Couldn't find it so I had to take the battery box out. Hidden away was a tiny apperture into which the nut had fallen - luckily it was visible... a magnet on a telescopic stick retrieved the nut and battery box was replaced. Seemed like a good idea at the time Laughing

10mm socket /spanner for battery clamp and terminals iirc... secure leads out of the way so they don't snag the vertical lift of battery when you take it out. A small set of steps or a hop-up may be of use to give yourself a little extra height for lifting the battery. With back and neck issues you may want to get an 'assistant' to lift and replace the battery.

1. earth off
    2. positive off
    3. old battery out
    4. new battery in
    5. positive on
    6. earth on

Reset clock and windows - job done

Job done

Post #365629 5th Feb 2019 9:55 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

...and remember to compare old and new batteries first to see if there is an additional piece of plastic at the base of the new one that needs to be removed for it to fit. Otherwise, you will have many false lifts before you figure it out! Took three Halfords guys ten minutes of lifting in and out before I pointed that out to them! Wink 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #365650 6th Feb 2019 7:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>