Home > Technical > Central Junction Box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pete S

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black
Central Junction Box

Hi All;

The fast speed on my wipers doesn't work. After £200 worth of diagnostics at one main dealer it was decided that this was down to the CJB - replacement £1200+. I claimed on my warranty and the company told me to take it to a different main dealer who did their diagnostics - and have just told me that they think it is a broken relay! They ordered a replacement to see if that worked but it was broken when it arrived! So, waiting on another one.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Why would a static major component which isn't affected by any other moving parts break like this (if in fact it is the CJB)? More worrying is that two main dealers who presumably train mechanics to the same standards and have the same tools available can come to two different conclusions - at my expense.. Censored

Post #329453 18th Aug 2017 3:27 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Pete,

Check out this thread, look at the last post from me

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28540.html

What I recommended to do for troubleshooting is to switch the fuse and the relays

The switching is like for like

If you have a bad relay then switching will restore the fast speed of the wiper and you will no longer have slow speed or something else will stop working like the defroster for the windscreen.

If you look at the diagram under the central junction box lid you can see what the four relays control.

Note: these relays are in the engine compartment not the passenger compartment.

I think that the Land Rover nomenclature is CJB for the box in the engine compartment

Good luck

Paul

Post #329455 18th Aug 2017 3:40 pm
Pete S

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Thanks for that Thumbs Up

Post #329458 18th Aug 2017 3:48 pm
Drinovan Ovidiu

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Aintree Green

Connectors overwiew for CJB LRF2 2007 S TD4 model 6G9T-14A073-LA

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #344411 8th Mar 2018 9:23 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Are you saying the Warranty company TOLD you to go get further diagnostics at YOUR expense with a second full blown LR dealer having used one in the first place ?

If they did I would be putting them into a complaints procedure to be followed up by further actions that may include involving the insurance ombudsman and County Court-ing them.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publ...rance.html FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344413 8th Mar 2018 9:34 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

as the OP has a 2007 car, im guessing its an aftermarket warranty company (like Warranty Wise or Warranty Direct who are both IMO squirming little Censored bag companies)

in which case then the OP would have no choice but to pay for diagnostics up front himself, then if the garage decides it should be covered by warranty they present it to the warranty company. They may then decide to send out their own engineer to inspect or they may just authorise the work if its one of their approved garages.
However if the fault isn't found to be covered by the warranty then the OP is liable for any diagnostic charges plus any repairs himself.
LR do the same for warranty work, they always advise that if its not covered by the warranty you have to pay for the diagnostics yourself. If it is under warranty then there is no charge to you for anything other than a courtesy car maybe.

Post #344424 8th Mar 2018 11:09 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Sounds like some potentially lazy diagnostics by the dealer to get the car back out the door!

While we are on the subject, this is what the 13MY on-wards CJB (BCM) looks like inside the box

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These are not simple circuit boards by any means. Any number of things could cause them to go faulty. They do have a water proof coating on the board (conformal coating) but a good chunk of water could still short the connection pins out and cause a brown out in one of the chips. Chips could fail through defect or heat or over loading. enough power through a shorted out component could cause a track to burn out etc. Seems like the level of complication that might just throw its toys out of the pram for no obvious reason.

Bring back the simplicity of the 80's

Post #344471 8th Mar 2018 6:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have played with computers and electronics for most of my life and family members now give me old computers, monitors and TVs etc to try and fix. Most of the faults come down to connector problems, electrolytic capacitors blowing or "dry joints" where the solder has crystallized. This happened in my home printer last week where it just stopped working and I discovered a dry joint in the power supply board. This crystallization process can take 10+ years but with the greater use of surface mounted components on multilayer boards it's getting harder to spot and harder to fix. I gave up on a monitor this week after working for two days on it (I am retired). It had a logic board that was less complex than the one shown in this thread.

I hate to think what modern cars will be like in 20 years time when spares are no longer available. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #344478 8th Mar 2018 7:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1