Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lower control arm replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Lower control arm replacement

Hi all,
so it looks like my Freelander 2 TD4 2008 needs both front lower control arms replaced (at 80k kms). When it was last time for servicing, I told them that there is something weird about handling when going over holes in the road, and especially when on dirt roads. It feels like the car wants to go left or right, depending which wheel goes through the hole, and the whole steering wheel is just shaking left and right by 5-10 cm. When holding the steering wheel, it feels like someone else was trying to steer for me. Not very comfortable handling.

Based on that (and based on showing them the video below), I have been told that the bushings are bad (the biggest ones, not sure how they are called?). Actually, on the left side the bushing is bad, and the right side is not far off. So I have been suggested to have them replaced. I watched some videos on YT about how to replace them, and it doesn't look like a very difficult job? Do you anyone have experience with replacing these on FL2?

Also, I have been estimated by the mechanic that it will take him about 4 hours to replace both sides, plus alignment. Is that reasonable time for an LR experienced mechanic?

To make the description easier, I made a video while driving on a dirt road:

Thank you

Post #329410 18th Aug 2017 9:40 am
Qlder

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Hi kris-p,

I'm not an expert so can't directly address your queries, but I'll share my experience with LCA issues in case it helps.

I found that the handling had become sloppy - noticed it most on a 60km/hr road that abruptly changed direction. I needed to oversteer the change of direction, then reduce steering angle to stay in the lane (all while the tyres maintained full grip). My FL2 had done ~190,000km & 7.5yrs service at the time. So your 80,000km issue seems early by comparison, but mine has mainly done city/highway driving on decent sealed roads with about 10 trips to Fraser Island being the worst of it.

This occurred before I discovered this forum so, I'm ashamed to admit, I went to a well known national suspension franchise (in Bris at the time) to resolve. They charged $596 for 2x LCA parts (non-genuine), $199.50 to fit, and $110 for wheel alignment. Steering was immediately much sharper. However, one of the LCA hydra-bushes developed a leak after 10,000km/8mths - I took it to a franchisee in Syd to get replaced and was told that it was a solid rubber bushing so could not be leaking and was probably just grease from the install. So I waited til just before the 12mth warranty expired then went to a different Syd franchisee and paid $28 for a health check report and was told that the hydra-bush was leaking and the inner LCA bushings had split/torn on both - they offered to quote but I pull out my original receipt and had them both replaced for free under warranty. As such I'd suggest being wary of any old non-genuine parts (check LRDirect for suggested "LRD workshop approved" non genuine suppliers if going down that path - they also ship to Syd in less than a week in my experience) and inspect them before the warranty expires.

May also be worth checking the tie rod ends as these are much cheaper parts and easier to install (although wheel alignment still required). Mine now appear worn at 210,000km (lots of play in ball joint).

As for DIY LCA replacement, it does look easy enough if you had the right tools (ball joint splitter to avoid damage to tie rod ends, breaker bar, torque wrench(s?)). Well detailed in the workshop manual (linked by someone in another thread). Just need to put it back together with alignment close enough to drive to a wheel alignment shop. Definitely do both LCAs if you end up replacing.

Photo of leaking hydra-bush attached (although I didn't notice any change in performance as a result of this leak - it may not have leaked much in the time before I had it replaced).

Post #329504 19th Aug 2017 10:15 am
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Hi Qlder,

thanks for your reply and sharing the story.

Yes, I think that the bad bushes are the hydro-bushes indeed. The mechanic suggested having the whole arms replaced though. He quoted me $1405 for this replacement in total ($768 LR genuine parts, $435 labour and $75 alignment). The labour they quoted me for is double of what you've paid - should I just take it to some other shop to have it replaced to save $200 bucks or so?

Post #329554 20th Aug 2017 2:42 am
Qlder

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I don't know if the hydrabushes can be sourced/replaced separately - I can't see a separate part number on lrcat.com for them.

W.r.t. the labour in the quote, I think it is best to look at the total amount. Some shops under quote the labour hours to avoid negotiation/argument. Your quote for parts seems to have slim margin for LR genuine compared to the mark up I usually get stung with so it may just be swings and roundabouts here. Still worth phoning around for the best price to compare.

If your paying for genuine then I'd suggest going with a reputable workshop and inspecting the parts in the box before they're installed. It will be harder to tell after.

Post #329599 21st Aug 2017 8:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1