Home > Technical > Gearbox Fault Reduced Traction
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Gearbox Fault Reduced Traction

Hi all
I have a 63 plate FL2 which has only covered 19,000 miles, today the information panel showed Gearbox fault reduced traction it also refused to change the options for 4 wheel drive such as sand mud/ruts etc.
I have read various comments about this being a software update does anyone know if it could be so simple or is it likely to be the haldex pump?
any comments welcome
Also the warning does not stay on all the time I went to Tesco (2 miles) last night the warning was not on for about a mile then it appeared I went into Tesco about 10 mins came out and the same thing happened fault gone until about 1 mile into journey. I am wondering if the fluid requires changing or a solenoid or a upgrade required?
Regards Richard

Last edited by Richard Willetts on 18th Aug 2017 7:45 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #329364 17th Aug 2017 5:56 pm
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Also has the fault "Transmission fault traction reduced" pop up last week and when turning the terrain response knob it showed "Terrain response system faulty". Went to the dealer and from the error codes they concluded it's the haldex pump. Dealer had to order the parts, going back next week to get it replaced/fixed (under warranty).

Post #329367 17th Aug 2017 6:25 pm
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver
Re: Gearbox Fault Reduced Traction

Richard Willetts wrote:
Hi all
I have a 63 plate FL2 which has only covered 19,000 miles, today the information panel showed Gearbox fault reduced traction it also refused to change the options for 4 wheel drive such as sand mud/ruts etc.
I have read various comments about this being a software update does anyone know if it could be so simple or is it likely to be the haldex pump?
any comments welcome
Also the warning does not stay on all the time I went to Tesco (2 miles) last night the warning was not on for about a mile then it appeared I went into Tesco about 10 mins came out and the same thing happened fault gone until about 1 mile into journey. I am wondering if the fluid requires changing or a solenoid or a upgrade required?
Regards Richard

When you say "refused to change the 4 wheel drive options" was the light for this still on or not.

I had similar with the normal driving light going out when fault occurred and when the fault disappeared the symbol for normal driving was once again illuminated.

(the fault was the haldex pump)

Good luck
Clive If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #329492 19th Aug 2017 7:59 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Unless you have lost a lot of fluid (look under for oil leak) its not going to be a fluid problem at those miles. Later cars are not known for earth lead problems (yet) so you will need to get it fault code read. The only thing anyone with electrical faults can try as a cheap fix is a hard re-set, that is take leads off battery and hold leads together for several minutes.

These cars do run on the edge of a battery power and I guess if you are only doing short journeys one other cheaper self help option is ask as reputable garage for a free battery test (or just charge it up). In spring a well known UK wide tyre dealers while changing tyres checked mine for free and said it was low on juice but the battery is otherwise OK. I am considering putting a new battery on mine this Winter (MY13) rather than be stuck one cold morning for the sake of a few quid. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329494 19th Aug 2017 8:35 am
Richard Willetts

Hi I am only doing short trips at the moment and on occasions the stop start does not work also on start up the car sometimes need the button to be pushed more than once as nothing happens.

I have also put a meter on the battery which is 12.4 volts I will get my sons Fluke meter later and check it with that it should be more accurate.

Under the back axle there is no oil leaks at all its bone dry, the car only does short trips and I am wondering if the stop start is running the battery down. I think it will need to go on the fault reader see what that comes up with.
Richard

Post #329497 19th Aug 2017 9:13 am
Yorky Bob

Hold starter button down rather than just flick it, its a known fault, you could get new button of course.

Turn off the stop start every trip and stop all that extra wear on your stater motor and ring gear. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329524 19th Aug 2017 1:55 pm
Richard Willetts

Hi
Its looking like the battery is at fault so a new one tomorrow, went out for a 15 mile run with stop/start off, when restarted that the fault warning stayed off.

Do you know if this year model (Oct 13) has the additional earth lead fitted if not won't hurt to fit one.

I use a Volvo D5 for commuting, hence low miles on freelander, it looks like little use has took its toll on the battery.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and help
Richard

Post #329556 20th Aug 2017 8:49 am
Yorky Bob

Ensure you get the correct battery (stop start type). Would not currently worry about earth if its a MY13 onwards. Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329557 20th Aug 2017 8:54 am
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

If its like my evoque i had the same turned out needing a new haldex pump and 4 wheeled drive control unit cost nearly 2k fixed under wsrranty.everyone goes for easy battery option but don't be surprised if its not. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #329559 20th Aug 2017 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oldsalt

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds very similar to what happened to my MY11 about a year after I bought it. (At about 9000 miles). Fault message came up during wet weather (coincidence ?) But cleared after I stopped and restarted. Fault then not seen for a few weeks but then came on once again in wet weather, disappeared again after stopping but this time a trip to the dealer and they did a quick diagnosis check which found a fault code. It turned out to be the haldex pump not providing enough pressure intermittently. As next service was due a couple of weeks later they said pump would be replaced under warranty at that time . Nothing further occurred and the pump was replaced under warranty and I've had no problems with faults in the last four years. The comment from the dealer was that there seemed to ba a batch of slightly dodgy pumps as regards pressure.

Post #329561 20th Aug 2017 10:59 am
Richard Willetts

Gearbox Fault Warning Traction Reduced

Just an update on this fault did nothing no new battery it turned out to be the stop start draining the volts and not having enough time to charge it up on short runs.

Advice from Yorky Bob was turn off the stop start on every trip and this has solved the problem and probably added life to the starter ring and starter

If I keep the car long enough I think a haldex service makes sense, I was born on a farm and the tractors and combine were always treated to regular good quality filters and good quality oil changes

On the subject of oil I have ran Volvo D5`s and always used Millers fully synthetic everytime, does anyone use this oil in FL2 and how does it compare to Castol
Richard

Post #332741 7th Oct 2017 9:02 pm
Yorky Bob

Mines been on Millers for 3 years You can get it off OPIE with discount codes FREEL2 and turnaround is great service. You need the oil rated at C1. Get 10lts and its carriage free.

Millers Oils XF Longlife C1 5w-30 Fully synthetic low SAPS engine oil. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332777 8th Oct 2017 2:06 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Gearbox Fault Reduced Traction

I had this message keep coming up about 4 weeks ago with the Traction Control programmes disabled. I was starting to worry about Haldex and other things, but after a longish run it did not come back. I put the Ctek on my battery overnight and have had no recurrences since, so ....fingers crossed

The battery is five years old and the message appeared after 5 or 6 very short runs so maybe the battery is on its way out

I am beginning to think that check/charge the battery and change the fuel filter cures almost all known Freelander faults Laughing

Post #342335 14th Feb 2018 1:53 pm
Yorky Bob

I am beginning to think that check/charge the battery and change the fuel filter cures almost all known Frelander faults

Throw in doing all the fluids and a haldex filter service and you are spot on. Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #342337 14th Feb 2018 1:57 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
I am beginning to think that check/charge the battery and change the fuel filter cures almost all known Frelander faults

Throw in doing all the fluids and a haldex filter service and you are spot on. Thumbs Up

Ha yes.................. and I suppose a glove box full of spare headlight bulbs just to be completely sure!!

Post #342391 15th Feb 2018 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>