« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How to replace tailgate door catch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Black Free 2

United Kingdom 
How to replace tailgate door catch

The manual lock/catch/switch on my tailgate failed so I have been using the key fob to open the rear door - until now Smile . I am not writing a 'How to' as there is already a good one here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=0

I will just add to that my experience and a couple of tips though. Firstly, when you remove the large outer handle unit from the tail gate you will notice that there is no rubber gasket to keep it rubbing against the paint work. As you can see in the first pic, over time dirt and moisture will get between them and slowly start to rub the paint away! To prevent that happening again in future I washed both surfaces and applied a seam of silicone sealant when I re-assembled everything. This will prevent movement and prevent moisture getting in as well. I suppose I could have made a rubber gasket but that would have taken too long.

Secondly, I ordered a new aftermarket switch before I started the job. The link above shows how they can be cleaned up and re-used but as you will see in the second picture, mine had corroded so badly that one of the lugs had broken off so I was glad I had the new switch handy!

Pic 3 shows the internals of the new aftermarket switch/catch. This one is plastic so it will not corrode; hopefully it will be strong enough for long term service. Before I re-assembled everything I also put a bead of silicone sealant on the edge marked with the arrow in Pic 3 to ensure that no moisture gets in there in future either. Why Land Rover did not do that to start with is beyond me as it would have prevented this problem completely.

Pic 4 shows the location of all the fasteners that keep the tail gate inner panel on. Pic 5 shows a close up of the metal clips that are visible on the top of the panel. These clips must be removed from the panel BEFORE you try to refit it! They clip onto the door itself then the panel is pushed straight on - it will NOT work trying to do it the other way around.

Hope the above helps someone Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #329170 14th Aug 2017 8:30 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Hope the silicone was not the bog standard stuff. it needs to be acid free.

When I changed mine (its on here) I used some stick on rubber gasket from a local car shop to stop the rubbing, pair of scisors
and 2 minutes work. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329173 14th Aug 2017 8:59 pm
Black Free 2

United Kingdom 

Yep bog standard kitchen silicone, whether or not it is acid free I have no idea Smile Why does it have to be acid free? I have never seen silicone sealant do any damage to anything. Interesting that you made a gasket.

Post #329180 14th Aug 2017 10:33 pm
Black Free 2

United Kingdom 

p.s. One thing I did forget to mention is that when you first test the new lock make sure the car is unlocked!! I closed the tailgate and couldn't believe the new catch did not work! I had to open it with the key fob until I realised my stupid mistake Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #329206 15th Aug 2017 1:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1