Home > United Kingdom > Help - Steering Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DannyK

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Help - Steering Issue

Hi all,

My FL2 SE TD4 (2007) has a really wierd issue involving the steering, Ive done a general search but couldn't find an issue similar to this.................

Basically bought the car 6 months ago, on the initial test drive i noticed the power steering pump was screaming!!
Dealer agreed to replace the pump (happy days)

A couple of months pass and the pump starts screaming again and steering is starting to get heavier!!

Back to dealership - they decide to drain fluid, flush and refill (I suspect they should have done this when they fitted the new pump but forget)

All is good but now the pump is starting to whine and occasionally the car will refuse to turn left at all (unless i really put a lot of force into it)
It feels like something is jamming and when it happens it sounds like something hissing from inside the car.

I suspect it could be the pump but my logic says if it's the pump i would have an issue turning both left and right ?

The car turns right fine every time - it's only jamming up when going left ?? Strange....

I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction, it's getting to the point where it's nearly undrivable...

Post #329096 13th Aug 2017 5:44 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The quality control on early steering racks was pants. They can contain weld spatter that blocks the filter screen in the original reservoir bottle , which in turn can starve and knacker the pump and this can affect the rack do a vicious circle. Some members have cured steering rack issues by replacing the the reservoir with an updated model with bigger screen , and flushing the power steering system through. If you search the forum you will find plenty of info on this . There is a very real possibility that the rack has failed as loss of power on one or both sides is a common issue on this car . If you have this changed make sure you get the latest reservoir fitted as well . Main dealer prices for this problem are silly . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic the Thinking Man's AWD

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #329097 13th Aug 2017 6:38 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Had the seller changed the fluid tank and bled the complete system of old oil plus any debris a point of sale several months you may have been fine but fitting one part and not doing a complete flush has come back as a haunting. The fact you cannot go left is probably a result of detritus in what I used to call the spool valve in rack systems years ago. Older cars have a track record with welding debris failure and searching will tell you all about it and hopefully how it was dealt with. Not sure of your rights at this point but it may well be contravening the sale of goods act as you asked them to put it right and they have failed to do so. Find honest Johns web pages and do some research there. re that. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329102 13th Aug 2017 7:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1