Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Bad workmanship by Main Dealer....surely not!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
csm norman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Bad workmanship by Main Dealer....surely not!!!!

My main dealer had to replace a fuel tank sender on my 2011 F2 TD4XS recently under extended warranty...OK so far.
I got the car back and noticed that the exhaust appeared to vibrate on start up and occasionally when running. I can live with that I thought.
However, after a week, when the noise degenerated into bangs and thumps and metal on metal rotating type of noise, enough was enough.
Because I didn't want to risk any sort of journey with this noise happening I took the car to my friendly local garage. Car went up on ramps and lo and behold the centre prop mount was loose by about 35mm and one bolt was actually missing. Heat shield was floating about as well. Also, in the vicinity of the tank, a cable had been trapped when re-securing tank, but this was repairable.
All fixed now, so a strong e mail to the main stealer was carefully worded. This included phrases such as poor quality control, poor supervision, etc.
Their response was very polite and they acknowledged my actions, (but not their fault of course) and have agreed to reimburse me for the charge by my local garage.
Car goes back to them this week for final check over.
They will also get a copy of the video as found by my garage.... which was bonus evidence for me.
Up until now, I have been reasonably pleased with the Main Dealer and this is the first issue that I've had.
But in my opinion, this should NEVER have been let out of the workshop.
It make me wonder about the level of training the mechanics get ( or even retain in their heads?) and the level of supervision when the job is completed.
Heyho...I will post their response to me after they have checked it over.
I'm sure theirs many of you out there who have experienced similar......or worse.

Post #331826 25th Sep 2017 9:55 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Pretty poor standards! Which dealer was this so that fellow members can be vigilant. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #331827 25th Sep 2017 10:19 am
csm norman

It was LOOKERS Chelmsford.

Post #331828 25th Sep 2017 10:24 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Clearly they need to LOOK 👀 harder Laughing

Hopefully you get it sorted with no mechanical damage due to their incompetence Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #331829 25th Sep 2017 10:32 am
csm norman

Nice reply!
Good point re further damage. Do you think the Haldex unit will have suffered any damage as a result of the prop floating around in mid-air?
I would have attached the video, but I think it was recorded in HD so won't upload - its 58MB Surprised

Post #331830 25th Sep 2017 11:25 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

not the first horror story of Main Dealer incompetence, ive had similar from my local dealer and would never ever touch them again for service or sales... shocking and disgusting level of QC and customer care.

Post #331832 25th Sep 2017 11:38 am
csm norman

The reason I didn't go to my local Main Stealer ( Marshalls - Cambridge) is exactly that.. their reputation isn't all that great as I've experienced in the past.
Up until this point, I've had no complaint with Lookers especially with new turbo claim, which was a bit of a battle with warranty people.

Does anyone have a view on potential damage to Haldex?

Post #331833 25th Sep 2017 11:53 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Did this same job to mine at the beginning of the year. Dealer quoted £800 for work, quoting special tools etc. Did it myself, special tool £35 and replacement onetime only bolts about £10, actual repair, bit of solder and some heat shrink tube.
Down side was because of the weather it took me almost 3 days working on the drive. Confused
Upside though all the bits did go back correctly. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #331835 25th Sep 2017 12:12 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I hate taking my cars to the garage - you never know what damage will be caused. Over the years I've had Fiesta alloy wheel damage, Skoda VRS turbo pipes blown right off cos they didnt tighten the clips, steering jam on my TD5 because the undertray wasnt fastened back up properly. Obviously not just LR dealers but right across the board - its pot luck a lot of the time. Jules

Post #331841 25th Sep 2017 3:25 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I had this fault nearly a year ago, I was told it was a known fault.

I still had to pay for the fix by the main dealer.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&...WlDDtiwkBs

It is covered in this article.

https://autologic.com/news/blog/friday-fault-2-fix-39

As it says, it can cause lack of power, or even no power, quite suddenly. Which could be dangerous.
I would have thought it should be a recall item. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #331842 25th Sep 2017 4:57 pm
csm norman

I had this fault too before they replaced the fuel tank sender. Fuel gauge would suddenly only read just over quarter full after fill-up at pumps. Main Dealer told me it was a known fault (wiring connections etc) and fixed it FOC. However, that repair lasted 6 months and then the aforementioned saga began!
I was fortunate as my F2 still has warranty.

Post #331855 25th Sep 2017 10:22 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The reason your repair failed is because the dealer replaces the plug in connection with a couple of cable crimps. Therefore the problem can reappear. Only solution is to solder the wiring together and seal with shrink tube. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #331863 26th Sep 2017 8:06 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had a similar experience as the OP some years ago with my B5 Passat company car. It went to the VW dealer for a Clutch and DMF change. A couple of days after its return, one of my staff gave me a couple of bolts he found where my car had just been parked. I investigated myself and found the front engine mount had not been bolted up! Called the dealer and told them to collect it on a truck & do the job properly!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #331867 26th Sep 2017 8:51 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

mine was the dealer not performing any of the approved used checks, or rectifying anything I picked up on test drive and the car turning out to have been in an accident and poorly repaired, all the faults should have been picked up had they inspected it properly as per their own approved scheme!
You would think that when they then swapped the car out for a replacement they would make 1000% sure that all the boxes were ticked etc..... but they still let me drive away with no MOT in spite of me having asked specifically if it had been done as I knew it had expired 4 days previous. I was assured it was booked in the following morning and I was legal to drive it until then !!! only to find on my return to the garage at 8am the service dept knew nothing about it and it wasn't booked in at all Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored

Dealers are letting JLR and their products down massively, and it seems to be getting worse. Interesting to note though that on the LR UK approved website that no cars from my offending dealer are listed....... so im wondering if they have been removed from the UK approved list for poor performance

Post #331868 26th Sep 2017 9:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1