Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Using mobile phone (handset) whilst driving (UK)
Do you use your phone whilst driving?
Never (unless making 999 call which is allowed by law)
85%
 85%  [52]
Yes for calls
8%
 8%  [5]
Yes for texting
1%
 1%  [1]
Yes for calls and texting
3%
 3%  [2]
I go the whole hog and surf the net and watch videos
1%
 1%  [1]
Total Votes: 61

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Using mobile phone (handset) whilst driving (UK)

Poll in case anyone uses their phone but wishes to remain anonymous Laughing

Absolute pet hate of mine and I saw one guy the other day texting with both hands. He just cruised along so smug and confident he will never get caught or have an accident. Makes my blood boil Censored

There seem to be so many drivers that despite the obvious dangers and the 200 and 6 points penalty, who think it is perfectly safe and acceptable to do it.

Personally, I never touch the phone whilst driving and even keep calls very brief when using the hands free kit. I even find that too distracting. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Last edited by The Doctor on 12th Aug 2017 7:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #329005 11th Aug 2017 10:57 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

For clarification, I mean when your vehicle is in motion. Stationary in traffic not included even though you should technically have the engine turned off. I still don't use my phone in those circumstances unless it's absolute gridlock to the extent that people are out of their cars for a stretch (M25 most days Laughing ) and the engine is indeed off.

Many do use their phone when crawling in traffic though which is included. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #329006 11th Aug 2017 11:08 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I ticked yes to using phone but only hands free while connected to the Bluetooth in the car. Couldn't see the hand-Free option or are you just talking about using the handset only? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #329011 12th Aug 2017 5:55 am
Dartman the one

England 

I have always had hands free phones fitted to both our family cars since the late 90's, tend not to use the phone to call unless heavily delayed for a pre-arranged meeting, have taken calls but cut them short if it involves decisions. I cannot understand with to days technology why anyone would need to hold a phone, there is text to speech and speech to text, those that do hold phones are either showing their inability and ignorance to operate the latest technology or just don't care, I suspect the latter as it is more can't be bothered to set it up for the phone. Perhaps it is a trait of "no one tells me what to do" which is becoming more prevalent in society. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #329012 12th Aug 2017 5:55 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

HATE it Twisted Evil
With all the gadgets they stick in cars these days you would think every car would have hands free. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #329013 12th Aug 2017 6:08 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
I ticked yes to using phone but only hands free while connected to the Bluetooth in the car. Couldn't see the hand-Free option or are you just talking about using the handset only?

Handset only. I'll make that clearer now with the title but at least you have clarified your vote here. It's unlikely to see anyone vote yes unless it's a joke but as it's anonymous you never know. There is an alarming number of drivers who use phones all the time whilst driving. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #329017 12th Aug 2017 7:33 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

When I was working I had a hands free set in the car and found two things. One is that I often ended up sitting behind the slowest vehicle on the motorway as I didn't overtake whilst talking and secondly that I often had trouble remembering exactly what were the finer details of the call. It's basically saying that my brain processing power was split between two activities and neither was getting full attention. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #329020 12th Aug 2017 7:54 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

We have a vote for calls and texting! Could be trolling but if it's genuine, the buffoon would probably be best keeping quiet or the mods will probably end up locking the thread Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #329022 12th Aug 2017 8:02 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I haven't used my mobile in the car for so long the car has disconnected it.

Decades ago I had one of the first car phones including hands free. Never liked using it, it was never the phone as such, it was simply the conversation to a party that was not in the car. Too distracting.

Roads are far more busy today than back in that era, the last thing people need is reduced concentration on the key task at hand!

Poll option #6 - Phone has disconnected due to lack of use. √

Have travelled around Europe for up to 4 months in one holiday without a mobile, GPS or computer. Love it, ones gets away form all the BS, we simply ask if we get lost! Or travelling around Australia, as there is mostly no mobile coverage! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #329029 12th Aug 2017 10:38 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

I too had one of the early car phones in the heady days when I had a company car. Only ever used it for incoming, I seem to recall, but it was always a case of either I couldn't understand what the other person was saying, or they couldn't understand me, so all in all a waste of money (quite a lot in those days). I found it very difficult to have a sensible conversation at the same time as driving.

Sadly, mobile phone technology doesn't seem to have improved in the slightest in all those years, and using the phone whilst driving or on a train is painful at best.

Nowadays, I drive with my iphone sitting in the centre armrest and if it rings, my wife answers it. Problem solved.

Post #329038 12th Aug 2017 2:58 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

At most i'll turn bluetooth on at lights to get the phone to pair, but generally when i'm in the car it is the rare occasion I don't use the blasted contraption.

Mobile phone, more like portable shackle.

Post #329039 12th Aug 2017 3:28 pm
Wil3001

Wales 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Lago Grey

I never use the handset while driving and voted accordingly

I have used hands free but usually its a call from the wife or my boss, and then Ill pull over anyway.

Saw a lady today in her smart car blatantly on her phone driving in front of me , sounded my horn until she put the phone down, she stopped at the roundabout to the side of me and got out , swore , shouted, hand signals , the lot, lovely person 🙄 had a small boy in the car too 🙁 32 years / 25 Vehicles

10 Land Rovers inc 7 Freelanders

Post #329040 12th Aug 2017 3:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Someone has voted for the whole hog! Laughing Surely a joke vote but if not, they deserve to be caught by police or have an accident not involving anyone else. Just them and a wall to knock some sense into their thick head would be good. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #329043 12th Aug 2017 4:20 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Can't think of anything worse.
A few months ago I saw a young lass driving a Fiat 500 (what else?!), phone up to her ear on the motorway at 70mph, with what looked like her mother in the car! Why couldn't the call wait or at least ask her passenger to take the call? Beyond belief really Rolling Eyes

Post #329047 12th Aug 2017 5:55 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The fine and the points are not a big enough deterrent as is obvious to all those of us who witness this on a daily basis. I would opt for a 12 month driving ban along with a fine, I wouldn't be lenient to those who said they needed their licence as they drive for a living. Well tough, you know the law and chose to break it so you only have yourself to blame, harsh perhaps but at what point will these people ever learn

Post #329119 14th Aug 2017 7:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>