« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rogerk9

United Kingdom 
Noise

I've got a noise coming from front end somewhere, it's been there a few weeks, thought it was tyre noise to start, but it's got worse, you can hear it there constantly, but more so when turning wheel, even slightly to go around bends. Could it be the transfer box? Any ideas guys? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Post #328841 9th Aug 2017 8:04 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

My mate's had a similar noise like what you describe it was the power steering there's a lot been posted about it

Post #328843 9th Aug 2017 9:19 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

All a bit vague let your descriptors flow more.

So not moving turning wheel is there hissing type noise, if so as said could be power steering.

Noise not doing moving or anything with engine running could be be numerous things, open bonnet and narrow area a down. AC, water pump or alternator possible problem.

Noise when moving at front could be as simple as a brake pad squeal. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328846 9th Aug 2017 9:33 pm
rogerk9

United Kingdom 

Bob, I've just tried the steering whilst parked and in neutral and there's a buzzing when turning the wheel, is this what you were on about?

Post #328847 10th Aug 2017 1:26 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If you drive along on a clear road and 'weave' the car from right to left, does the tone change with the change of direction? If so, could be a wheel bearing as by weaving from side to side, that will load and then unload the front bearings and you can usually hear this change of noise. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #328848 10th Aug 2017 7:23 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

rogerk9 wrote:
Bob, I've just tried the steering whilst parked and in neutral and there's a buzzing when turning the wheel, is this what you were on about?

Any working system will always make some noise, depends if its excessive. Have someone do it while you have your head under the hood (that was for our American friends unlike Trump with his head elsewhere). Have you tried changing your power steering fluid ? Cheap to do. A couple of explanations on here including my own attempt. Just dont get old fluid all over the alternator and auxiliary belt, mine was a change at lower miles and years but if older I may have been tempted to change the tank or at least wash out the internal filter best I could. Tank needs to be later modified filter type, lots of choice on Amazon , Ebay etc and if you are keeping the beast a long time not that expensive and just treat it as a service item.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/fre...ne.184227/ (due credit to Landyzone)

Cars are notorious for tyre noise building once at circa 4mm and below with some brands like Wranglers. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328853 10th Aug 2017 8:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1