Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 le sport update. HELP!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
prezzy1982

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Freelander 2 le sport update. HELP!!!

Hi guys just a quick update. I went to look at the LE model today everything seemed fine checked everything that I was advised to check through this post and everything seemed to be fine, took it for a test run and all seemed nice and smooth, coasted it down the hill and didn't hear any strange noises or humming, the only thing that was putting me off was the high mileage!!
Was a bit surprised that it never had no panoramic roof neither did it have arm rests but was still a lovely motor! Never put a deposit it down as the high mileage was.bugging me. So back to car hunting for me! Any good sites you can put me onto? Apart from the usual fleabay!
I'm asking you experienced people out there should I be put off by the high mileage????
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post #328567 6th Aug 2017 9:08 am
Dartman the one

England 

High mileage is not a problem on cars mostly used for distances of an hour plus out of stop start traffic, I bought a Volvo240 that had been used to commute mostly on a motorway and a 2000mile continental trip each year 80,000 miles in 3 years, had it for 5 years with no problems. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #328578 6th Aug 2017 10:43 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

A higher mileage car should have that reflected in a lower asking price. We have more problems at work with low mileage ,short journey vans that eat, brakes, clutches, DMF`s, EGR`s etc etc. than the vans that do 1,000+ miles a week on the motorway so low mileage isn`t always an indicator of problem free motoring. My own Freelander is 4 1/2 years old and has done 134,000mls with one lease company owner. Looks and drives like new. Even the interior including the drivers seat looks like it has never been sat in. Still on its original clutch and DMF with no issues. It was several thousand pounds less than lower mileage equivalents same year and lesser spec.

As a comparison my wife recently bough a 2012 Juke with 39,000mls on it with full dealer history. It has more wear on the drivers seat and more minor marks on the bodywork and it managed to shred the timing belt at 40,000mls resulting in bent valves. Turns out to an issue with a batch of 2012 dci engines fitted in Renaults and Nissans where a misaligned fuel pump causes the belt to wear prematurely. Renault did a recall on the affected engines whereas Nissan did nothing.
Also mother in laws 26,000mls Ford Ka has just had a new clutch as the old one was slipping. Car does about 2 miles a day and is hardly ever out of 2nd gear!
If the price was right I would not discount a car just because its done a high mileage. You have to look at the whole package, I.E price, condition ,faults, wear and tear, good tyres etc etc. Any warranty for piece of mind? Ultimately it all comes down to your budget, what you want from the car etc etc. First impressions are always good when first viewing a vehicle and it doesn`t hurt to view a potential purchase more than once. You always notice more minor faults/marks etc on a 2nd viewing!
There was a few recent postings on a purchase of a low mileage Freelander that the new owner had loads of problems with haldex etc etc. It was to do with how the car was used I think (Launching boats?) so look long and hard at any potential purchase for any potential problems that the seller hasn`t mentioned and don`t be afraid to walk away. There`s plenty of good ones out there! Thumbs Up

Post #328581 6th Aug 2017 11:48 am
prezzy1982

Thanks for the information. The car drove lovely it was just bugging me about the high mileage!!! I think I will just wait and not rush into buying anything,although was very tempted to put a deposit down.
Any good sites that sell used FL apart from the usual ebay and Gumtree I could try?

Post #328582 6th Aug 2017 1:35 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

There are the usual sites like Autotrader, Motors Uk, Pistonheads, Various Land Rover magazine classifieds, The AA and RAC list cars for sale on their websites as well. Desperate sellers, Friday ads etc etc I trawled all those sites (and more) when looking for mine. A general internet search for Freelanders for sale will bring up loads for sale including ones not perhaps listed above. Again a search for car dealers near you will bring up websites that you can search for Freelanders once on the website.

Just another point regarding mileage, A local industrial estate to me use a 2006 Freelander 1 td4 commercial for site security
duties. They have had it since new and it has done around 90,000mls which for an 11year old vehicle seems not a lot. However it runs almost constantly 24hrs a day, 365 days of the year going round and round the estate but only doing about 20 miles a day!.
There are a few Sport Le on Ebay I notice and there seems to be a few differences between them all in terms of spec, some have bodykits, different alloys, seats etc, most appear to have satnav etc so may have been upgraded when first purchased. If possible look at as many different ones as you can within your budget and decide from there. Thumbs Up

Post #328583 6th Aug 2017 2:03 pm
prezzy1982

Thanks very much for your help dondiddy I'm going to have a good search on the sites you said about and see what's going. Not going to rush into any decision until I feel it's the right car for me.

Post #328608 6th Aug 2017 7:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1