Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dishwashers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
GSKM

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

We have a new built in Bosch dishwasher. It's a bit smaller inside than the old freestanding one we had but does what we, as a family of three need. We don't wash posh glasses as I have found that glasses whiten, or it could just be our everyday cheap glasses that do that. Also I don't wash the kitchen knives as I don't want them to dull in a warm moist environment. I always rinse my breakfast bowl, as I have found that unless you have a domestic H Bomb, then dried on weetabix takes a fair bit of removing. That's a habit from student days which I learnt very quickly when trying to clean two day old breakfast bowls.

What you really need are two dishwashers. One is filled with dirty dishes then washed. Clean dishes are taken out to use and then put into the second one when dirty. Wash and repeat. No aurguing about emptying the dishwasher.
Gav.

Post #328370 2nd Aug 2017 8:12 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

chicken george wrote:

I once had a built in dishwasher, freestanding stuff just seems so much better

Is that difference between a wife and mistress ? Very Happy FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328371 2nd Aug 2017 8:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Cheers all Thumbs Up I always recommended Bosch to customers back when I worked at the shop. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #328376 2nd Aug 2017 9:39 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

An old Aunt of mine refused to have a dish washer on the basis that the more people you have in the house the more people you have to do the washing up. Very logical but it's still a pain to have to do it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #328407 3rd Aug 2017 10:06 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bosch /Neff//Siemens , same distributor, fantastic service. £90 call out fee and no head scratching or " dunno about that guv, never seen that before " worth buying any of those brands . We use the dishwasher a lot more since the last Lab went to doggy heaven... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #328411 3rd Aug 2017 10:12 am
dorsetfreelander

A couple of years ago my daughter was staying with us and came in saying that she had turned the dish washer off as the kitchen was full of smoke and there was a burning smell. I pulled it out and emptied and disconnected everything and we got the machine on its side and the bottom off to see where the smoke was coming from. All looked OK inside. At this point she said "Oh look, the toaster has burnt toast in it" ...... 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #328412 3rd Aug 2017 10:20 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well it's arrived Thumbs Up Just waiting for a part next week so that both the washing machine and dishwasher can share the same waste pipe. Our neighbour will fit it for us as he does plumbing work.

The manual suggests filling the salt container with water for the first wash only. Did you guys do that or just go straight to salt? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #328580 6th Aug 2017 11:09 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Do what the manual says otherwise you might void the guaruntee.

J

Post #328635 7th Aug 2017 10:42 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

mcsimmo wrote:
Most dishwashers require rinse aid adding and also dishwasher salt. You only add them every so often as they are stored in the dishwasher and slowly added over time. I cant be more specific as the regular user (SWMBO) is out at work so cant ask further.

My understanding is that the salt and rinse-aid is all contained in these modern dishwasher tablets. We've not added additives to our dishwasher for many years.

it may depend on whether you live in hard or soft water areas. We get zero lime scale where we live. Jules

Post #328643 7th Aug 2017 1:54 pm
dorsetfreelander

When my daughter was only just 3 years old my wife went away for a few days leaving us to our own devices. I realised that I had never actually set the dishwasher so I loaded it up and got the manual out to read the instructions. Daughter appears "what are you doing Daddy?" "I am trying to work out how to start the dishwasher" "Oh that's easy, Mummy usually puts it on Program 4 " she then went over and set it and started it up. Ever felt totally useless? And she still reminds me of this event 30 years later. Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #328722 8th Aug 2017 9:28 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

im not far from you Dr

I don't use salt and only use rinse aid occasionally if the glassware starts coming out a bit opaque.

im not fussy on tablets, whichever is on the shelf at the best price in what ever shop im in (Aldi seem to be just as good as the expensive brands)

it will change your life !! Rolling with laughter

Post #328730 8th Aug 2017 10:00 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In pubs etc, to wash glasses they use extremely hot water & next to no detergent in the dish washer. In other words wash your glassware separately (obviously lead crystal is excluded to start with due to the pH) in the hottest water your dishwasher will do, with no detergent, as there is probably enough detergent floating around in the system from the previous cycle. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #328737 8th Aug 2017 10:20 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Years ago I happened to work with a person who had previously works in the detergent industry. Detergent is clear. In other words it has no colour, no smell, no taste, nothing other than it will kill you in reasonable volume. The tricolour, or 50 shades of technicolour or what ever you get these days are simply designed to empty your wallet as quick as possible! Coloured dishwasher tablets are, to put it simply, BS! Dishwasher detergent is nothing more or less than pH! Use the cheapest liquid or powder you can get your hands on! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #328743 8th Aug 2017 10:36 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well the dishwasher is in the process of its first wash so we will see how it goes Thumbs Up

Quick question for the Bosch crowd, there is a thin grey plastic flexible blade sitting diagonally on the bottom shelf. No idea what its purpose is and it isn't mentioned in the manual as far as I can see... Any thoughts? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #329058 12th Aug 2017 8:28 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I'll ask my wife , I've never seen inside it Whistle 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #329061 12th Aug 2017 9:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>