Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Left Freelander ownership and bought a BMW X3...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Winslet

United Kingdom 
Left Freelander ownership and bought a BMW X3...

Hi

After 7 plus years of Freelander ownership, I have moved onto a BMW X3.

It has been a fantastic period of car ownership, but having had the Firenze red one for nearly 4 years, I started looking around at many, many different brands and models and I settled on the X3. It was the only premium SUV that offered an increase in performance at a price I could afford that was similar in size to the Freelander.

A search for a non M Sport trim 30d/6 cylinder in red that matched my criteria resulted in one car for sale across the country - it has a number of desirable options including xenon lights and upgraded media/navigation amongst others. At 7 months old and less than 3000 miles (plus a hefty saving on list price) and a test drive that showed what an amazing engine/chassis it has, I was smitten.

Click image to enlarge

I have really enjoyed my time on the forum and will still keep in touch. It has proved an invaluable source of information but also an opportunity to share my knowledge and experience of Freelander ownership that has hopefully been helpful to others. I haven't posted as much of late, changes at work mean I spend a lot of time on a computer and I tend to then avoid it when I get home!

Having read some of the posts/discussions on here about the X3, I know it isn't everyone's favourite alternative, but the X3 has so many positive attributes. I'll miss the heated screen and steering wheel come winter time for sure!

Andrew 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #327624 23rd Jul 2017 8:50 pm
bill 2

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Must be something. In the air , I am looking at a Volvo XC90 as I find myself needing a 7 seater and with the new discovery being out of my price range a two year old XC90 fits the bill nicely .

Post #327628 23rd Jul 2017 9:23 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

bound to happen, Land Rover have shot themselves in the foot by aiming at the higher end of the market and forgetting there roots, no defender or freelander. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #327638 24th Jul 2017 5:21 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

WELCOME TO THE X3 CLUB Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Another FL2 driver deserts ship and heads to better waters Whistle

I deserted ship 3 years ago after 6 years of 2 FL2's, I am now on my second X3 and it is amazing. The FL2 is no bad vehicle (other than my second one which was a lemon) it was just that at the time there was so much more out there and having had BMW's previously I went for the X3. I think the list price on the X3 puts many people off as you don't see that many on the road - not that I am complaining it gives an air of exclusivity.

Good luck with your X3 I am sure if will prove highly dependable and a pleasure to drive, in 3.5 years of ownership and 51000 over the two X3's I have never had a single thing go wrong Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #327663 24th Jul 2017 12:13 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I test drove a couple of older X3 3.0D M Sport before I bought my 2nd FL2

The 3.0D is an absolute storming engine, I couldn't believe how smooth and quick it was with the auto box and yet still giving better economy (on paper) than the FL2 auto.

No, it hasn't got the off road ability of the LR and may struggle in bad snow, but who cares really.

Enjoy matey, just keep an eye out for those speed cameras Whistle

Post #327667 24th Jul 2017 12:57 pm
shilen

I couldn't justify the extra cost to get the 3.0d over the 2.0d, from memory there was a difference of about 5K which I thought was better spend on some tasty options such as head up display, variable dampers, 20" diamond cut wheels. harmon kardon sound etc.

The 2.0d is like Censored off a chrome shovel so can only imagine how quick the 3.0d is

Post #327670 24th Jul 2017 3:28 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the great replies folks - I didn't think yours would be too long shilen as a long time advocate of X3 ownership!

Been out for a proper long run today, having only been to work and back since I picked it up last week.

Engine is just fantastic, really quiet and smooth with a nice 6 cylinder sound when moving off and a growl under full throttle. It really, really pulls as well, which is why I wanted it. I know LR have announced a 240 bhp version of the Ingenium engine in the Discovery Sport/Evoque, but it will be a while until they filter down to the used market in any number.

I got 38 mpg travelling across country and through MK today (lots of roundabouts and if you get a move on, lots of speeding up/slowing down). I might have got 32 to 34 in the Freelander. The autobox is a peach.

Despite having upgraded (but not H/K) speakers, the infotainment sound is not anywhere as good as the Meridian system in the FL (mine had the 380W version), which is something I do miss but the one it has is good enough. The connectivity is far more advanced, with built in data/sim and clever in car apps.

Saw plenty of FLs and other LR/BMW cars today, but not one late plate X3. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!

Post #327695 24th Jul 2017 8:36 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

shilen wrote:

Another FL2 driver deserts ship and heads to better waters Whistle

Where did they go? I've only seen two people move down to X3's Razz Laughing

Post #327737 25th Jul 2017 6:04 pm
shilen

Where did they go? I've only seen two people move up to X3's Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #327793 26th Jul 2017 9:14 am
MacSweep

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Enjoy the X3 Winslet.

I tried one a couple of years back and there is a lot to like...

That 3.0d mated with the 8 speed auto is a superb combination.

Cheers,

Post #327822 26th Jul 2017 5:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

shilen wrote:
Where did they go? I've only seen two people move up to X3's Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

That's a new meaning of the word "up" of which I was previously unaware! Laughing

Post #327828 26th Jul 2017 7:43 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In the Australian Alps listening to ABC Radio National a few weeks ago. If a car is going to get stuck in the snow it more than likely going to be a BMW. They also mentioned when the authorities check cars for carrying snow chains (Victoria) they wave Land Rovers through as they don't get stuck!

We get snow all the way up to Queensland, the 'sunshine state'! http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-17/thic...nd/6626630

I have never been this far north in the snow but you can see it in the landscape that even this far north the country cops a beating in winter. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #327849 27th Jul 2017 3:00 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Thanks MacSweep.

I get the comments about BMWs and snow. With summer tyres and staggered wheels/tyres, it is no wonder they get stuck. With more winter biased tyres though, I can't see it being an issue. This is my sixth 4x4 vehicle, included two estate cars with FL2s for the last 7 years. Although I drive across country to work, I haven't had to do so with bad snow whilst having a Freelander. The bad winters of 10 to 12 years ago, yes, but in the Skoda Octavia 4x4 I had at the time, no problem. They have a haldex based set up and convinced me keeping to four wheel drive was the way to go.

The X3 has many, many positives. Not least the 30d engine/gearbox. I might move to a summer/winter setup like some Freelander owners have to be more winter ready. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red

Post #328004 29th Jul 2017 6:30 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Light hearted look at BMW X series Ownership ..

It came to me in a blinding flash of clarity why all the EX Freelander owners /BMW X series keep coming back here..

It is as winter will surely come, they will need all their " Mates" on the Freelander 2 forum to pull em out of the ditches and hedgerows when the snow is deep and crisp and even,(as I can testify to 2 X3,s 1 X5 and a couple of fords during winter time .always keep 2 strops in boot summer and winter .!
On each occasion, I was offered money for helping them, (to which I always refused) I said it was better they save their cash and to buy a LANDROVER ...!!!

Funny, it always had an effect of a wistful look cross their face ...!!!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #328005 29th Jul 2017 7:59 am
Terryg

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

How funny I’ve just gone away from a BMW X3 to a Landrover Freelander 2. 2.2TD4 HSE Auto as I had nothing but problems with the X3

enjoy anyway each to there own.

Post #337876 23rd Dec 2017 9:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>