Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing Electrics not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
di11on

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Towing Electrics not working

Hi folks,

I live in France and recently bought a used Freelander 2. It's driving great even though it has 185k KMs on it. It's a French market vehicle - in case this is relevant.

The vehicle came with what appears to be a factory fitted tow bar and electrics. It has a 13pin socket fitted. So far I have been unable to get this to work on a number of 7-pin fitted trailers. Here is some info that might help diagnose the issue:
- I have tried on a known working 12N trailer and it doesn't work
- I am using a 13pin to 12N pin adapter that came with the vehicle but I don't know if this is the official accessory or not (do I need the official one?)
- I have checked the various fuses that are mentioned in this and other forums and all appear to be in place and intact
- I have been in contact with the previous owner but unfortunately they never towed so can't help
- I read from the manual that when towing the rear parking sensors are automatically deactivated. This does not happen so we can assume that for whatever reason the vehicle does not detect that the trailer is plugged in.
- I have read that sometimes you need to have a ECU software conversion done? I have no idea if this was done - but why would a previous owner have gone to the expense of fitting a genuine LR tow bar and electrics and not have this done if it was required. In any case, is there an easy way to test if this is the issue or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - from what I have read - the most likely causes are the adapter and/or the ECU - any tips on ruling either of these out would be really helpful!

Post #327310 18th Jul 2017 2:11 pm
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Have you checked that the wiring is actually properly connected to the loom in the spare wheel well, and hasn't just been bodged/spliced into the wiring at the lights.

Post #327317 18th Jul 2017 3:43 pm
di11on

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

Hi Tim - yes, I checked - it's all neat and tidy with the genuine grey connector connected

Post #327318 18th Jul 2017 4:02 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I have a 2007 model and had to have it programed to work.
have you checked with a meter or light bulb if the 13 pin has power to it?
wouldn't have thought that you would have to have a land rover adaptor but make sure its 'a good make. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #327328 18th Jul 2017 6:22 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

You say "with a genuine grey connector" that is to a trailer module not direct to the harness?, the module will need programing, this should have been done but mine was "accidently" de programed during an LR software update.

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #327336 18th Jul 2017 7:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dartman the one

England 

As the 13pin plug and socket are EU wide standard wiring I would try to connect to a 13pin van and check. I would also remove the casing of the socket and check that the wires are all connected, MY year 2007 built before the UK adopted 13 pin sockets and were were not an option except on later models, France would be different as 13 pin plugs were standard on caravans long before the UK adopted them, 13 to 7pin adapters are notoriously unreliable, check with a multi meter if you have one. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #327347 19th Jul 2017 5:00 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

check with a multi meter if you have one.

For a simple continuity check all you need is a car bulb and 2 wires attached. One goes to earth and the other you poke at the connections remembering that the brake lights will not show unless the brake pedal is pushed by your much younger and prettier assistant.

The assistant goes up in a puff of smoke though if you do a dead short so some care needed when poking. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #327351 19th Jul 2017 8:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1