« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dunkirk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Dunkirk

Can't wait to see this. Outstanding reviews are rolling in and I'm pleased that the legendary Hans Zimmer is behind the score. I'm hoping to catch it next week. Thumbs Up

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/dunkirk-2/review/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #327271 17th Jul 2017 9:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Didn't think of you as a Harry styles Fan Laughing

One on my list to see too Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #327272 17th Jul 2017 9:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Laughing Even he got good feedback in the reviews LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327273 17th Jul 2017 9:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

does he die, i hope so Twisted Evil Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #327274 17th Jul 2017 9:49 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Been to see this tonight and was absolutely blown away. I was welling up at times as the emotional wallop hits hard. Superb direction from Christopher Nolan and great acting from the ensemble cast even though dialogue is minimal.

I hope it goes on to take best picture at the Oscars and I think I'll download the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer which is a masterpiece. Please watch this film Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327832 26th Jul 2017 9:14 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Someone should have told Tom Hardy that a Spitfire could only fire it's guns for 15 or 16 seconds before it was out of bullets Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #327835 26th Jul 2017 9:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I think we can allow the movies a bit of artistic licence so to speak. Not many complain about the fact that silencers in real life don't make guns sound quiet like in films. All they do is make it a tiny bit quieter and distort it so that it's difficult for the enemy to tell where the gunfire is coming from. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327836 26th Jul 2017 10:01 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

licence all you want Doc but as a historical piece I found in sadly lacking , I've seen more people queuing for an off peak train than were on the beach in that movie ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #327841 26th Jul 2017 10:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

And the train at the end had aluminum frames around the windows when it would have been wood. Definitely a sh Censored t film. Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327842 26th Jul 2017 10:39 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

To be fair if the historical inaccuracies are an annoyance, this guy sums things up admirably. He picks apart the many issues but gives credit for the films spectacle and concludes by saying how much more he would have enjoyed it had he not known so much about the real evacuation.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/fil...s-holland/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327843 26th Jul 2017 10:52 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Although I enjoyed the film as a film including the Pulp Fiction - like messing about with time sequences. I felt it completely failed (assuming it was even intended) to convey the enormity of the evacuation. For those watching it without much knowledge of WW2 I think it might even trivialise the event. Jules

Post #327844 26th Jul 2017 11:05 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Just got back from seeing it.
As someone with more than just a little interest and knowledge of WW2, I couldn't help thinking that although most what I saw was indeed very powerful stuff , the film was just a little too sparse . It was at least 1 hour too short and concentrated far too much on the group that included Mr Styles , something I feel that added nothing to the film at all, especially when there was a far bigger story attached to the Dunkirk evacuations.
The aerial scenes were some of the best I've seen on film - the individual story of the boat crossing the channel to help was also very powerful stuff.
However, nothing about the film gave any sense of scale or enormity of the actual task of evacuating (eventually over a period of around 10 days) over 338,000 men. No sense of how much equipment was left behind on the beaches.
For me , the "Dunkirk" scene in the 2007 film Atonement gave a brief, if not more accurate idea of the state of the beaches in May of 1940.
The 1958 film of the same name tells more of the story. If you've not seen this, I suggest you do before seeing Christopher Nolan's effort just to give more of a sense of the enormity of the task of evacuation and the amount of sea vessels needed to accomplish it.
Nolan's depiction is however, visually stunning. Just a shame he missed so much and could have made an ok film into the true epic that it deserved to be.
Just Google Dunkirk to see the actual pictures taken on those beaches in May of 1940
Oh, and the final scene with Tom Hardy.............I won't spoil it for you if you've not seen it, but.........................considering Spitfire N3200 it's such an icon of Dunkirk......................and that's actually N3200 used in the film, how can Tom have .........oh, never mind. Again I suggest you Google N3200 and Geoffrey D Stephenson who flew N3200 at Dunkirk.Then you'll understand why the last scene is laughable.....

Post #327845 26th Jul 2017 11:06 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

The Doctor wrote:
I think we can allow the movies a bit of artistic licence so to speak. Not many complain about the fact that silencers in real life don't make guns sound quiet like in films. All they do is make it a tiny bit quieter and distort it so that it's difficult for the enemy to tell where the gunfire is coming from.

Not quite true as in a past life I got chance to fire a weapon that was on the then secret list and all you heard was a very small click from the bolt moving. Use was clandestine type work and many in the UK armed forces would have never seen one, just a couple of quiet shots and move on.

http://warisboring.com/british-commandos-k...sten-guns/ FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #327847 26th Jul 2017 11:23 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I saw it the other night , I felt let down by it. Like others I have an interest in ww2 and know a wee bit about it. As Martyn said I've seen more people waiting on a bus than what was depicted on the beach , the movie doesn't show the true horror of what the beach was like . It could have been the new saving private Ryan but for me it failed miserably. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #327850 27th Jul 2017 6:28 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yorky Bob wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
I think we can allow the movies a bit of artistic licence so to speak. Not many complain about the fact that silencers in real life don't make guns sound quiet like in films. All they do is make it a tiny bit quieter and distort it so that it's difficult for the enemy to tell where the gunfire is coming from.

Not quite true as in a past life I got chance to fire a weapon that was on the then secret list and all you heard was a very small click from the bolt moving. Use was clandestine type work and many in the UK armed forces would have never seen one, just a couple of quiet shots and move on.

http://warisboring.com/british-commandos-k...sten-guns/

Must be one of the exceptions then. I watched a video where a gun expert tested a variety of guns with and without silencers and they made little difference. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #327851 27th Jul 2017 6:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>