« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Crash for cash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Crash for cash

Not only is it worth having a dash cam, in my case front and back facing, but being vigilant is very useful with more and more people trying this.

Last year I remember cruising down the A38 when it was quiet and 3 Asian guys in a new Toyota Avensis (probably rented) very steadily overtook before beginning to move back to the inside lane quite close to me. I braked a little to give more distance and was poised and ready for any sudden braking. Nothing happened but being alert to it whenever possible helps.

The case in the news story is on the Channel 5 programme and worth a watch Thumbs Up - Starts at 19 minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-39531227

https://www.my5.tv/where-theres-blame-ther.../episode-1 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #326682 7th Jul 2017 11:13 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Police aren't interested , nor are insurance companies. UNLESS you've actually had a crash. I have absolute proof of an attempted crash for cash , which I only avoided due to having my wits about me. All captured on my dash cam. Even the exchange of words after,me swearing and using very racist language, while Mr Asian dude and his car full of "potential whiplash victims" tried to blame the "mysterious car that somehow got away". Until I called them out for the cash for crash scammers that they are. Pointing to my dash cam I told them it was all on film and I'd be showing it to the police. Please then can anyone explain why they suddenly left in a real hurry, even jumping a red light to get away.
Called the police who couldn't care less even when I explained that insurance fraud was going on in their area and I had all the suspects, registration numbers etc. They suggested calling my insurance company. They were useless too. They wanted to know what damage had been done and what injuries I had suffered. When I explained the actual reason for my call they were puzzled as to why I was calling them and not the police. "Because other people will become victims and I have registration numbers that can be checked if another crash for cash scam is suspected. No, not interested. Strange that at renewal time my insurance was up by quite a large amount. When I asked why I was told "you called us saying you were involved in an accident". Er, no. I told you I had footage of an attempted crash for cash scam. FFS !!!
Never mind.

Post #326717 7th Jul 2017 9:44 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Now I know I can be a bit of a Victor Meldrew at times but ....

The other day I was in a queue of traffic, the car in front had a dash cam pointing forwards and another one in the back screen -huge great thing obviously obscuring his view, unless of course he had a display up front showing the rear camera.
To me it felt as though someone was shoving a camera in my face, 45+minutes of this and I was quite willing to get out of the car and rip his/her arms off and beat them to death with the soggy ends.

Told you I can be a bit of a Victor. The point is I can see the point in having a discrete forward facing camera, if needed the evidence can be very valuable. Placing a large camera at the rear and a bloody great notice telling you that your every nose pick is on camera is going to provoke a reaction (or else why put up the notice), problem is the reaction might not be what you expect, and might be out of proportion to your intent.

Really stinking mood for the rest of the day
rant over. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #326780 9th Jul 2017 2:22 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ The camera I have in the back window is a pretty small basic effort (Nextbase 101) and its over to one side (drivers side). I find it useful to have the back camera with certain incidents such as the dangerous driver in the Merc back in February so I had a complete view of his actions.

It has deterred some tailgaters too. If they get stupidly close enough, some have spotted it and dropped back. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #326781 9th Jul 2017 2:28 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

An interesting story from RealeBeale. Disappointing in places but, unfortunately, not surprising!

What the police show no interest in never ceases to surprise me. They must have a key list of criteria to meet, in that first call, before they will spring into action (beyond issuing a crime reference number for a caller to then take it up with their insurance company).

Post #326787 9th Jul 2017 5:08 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ The trouble with bad experiences with police is that most people then apply that bad experience to all police. I.e. where ever you live, whatever has happened, do not phone the police because they are useless and not interested.

It comes down to who you deal with sometimes, both on the phone and in person. I made a call about the dangerous driver in February and the call centre woman said even though I have got it on dashcam, it can't be used in court as evidence. I'd already told her who I was and where I worked so I do not know why she even tried that bull Censored t.

I said yes it can because I have seen it first hand. She then said yes but it might not be in the public interest, so I asked her what the public interest test was. She had no answer! I managed to see an officer and hand over the footage. Shame they couldn't be traced as per the story in the dashcam section. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #326790 9th Jul 2017 6:02 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Looks like some footage first seen as usable i gave out recently to do with littering is to be ignored, reason is the car is from the Leicester area and has multiple users ? What that really means is its not owned by a white fella we can fine. Registered owner should be fined no matter what. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #326805 9th Jul 2017 9:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

This makes interesting reading on that front Bob

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/07...bbish-car/ LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #326810 9th Jul 2017 11:06 pm
Yorky Bob

Thumbs Up Yes and I hope its applied. Will update a it goes along as I was promised to be kept in the loop. Council officer was keen to get it sorted being ex forces and police. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #326826 10th Jul 2017 8:45 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Yorky Bob wrote:
Looks like some footage first seen as usable i gave out recently to do with littering is to be ignored, reason is the car is from the Leicester area and has multiple users ? What that really means is its not owned by a white fella we can fine. Registered owner should be fined no matter what.

Same problem as the video we have of our £600 brushcutter being stolen . The car was a "Pool Car " driven by numerous scrotes ( all " white trash " by the way ) who are all from the same estate in Bradford ( the Halifax bobbies call them Bradford Nominals ) . The car was purchased for a couple of hundred quid from it's last owner and then never properly registered. It only drives on back roads avoiding ANPR. If it is ever stopped there is no link between its many drivers and past crimes . The thieving Pikey Transit van that runs around here is on cloned plates. The worst that can happen to these miscreants is losing their Censored car , which can be replaced by a mornings stealing , and a couple of summonses for no license or insurance , for which they will never attend court Censored 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #326833 10th Jul 2017 9:29 am
Yorky Bob

Had Hitler not invaded Poland ................... FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #326836 10th Jul 2017 10:17 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Strange how the authorities can't sort these things out Bob. Me and my buddies have developed a martial law system over a beer and a curry . It is fool proof and gets 100% compliance. Of course we get to run it and wear uniforms and hats with lots of braid, styled on South American dictator chic . There is a position for Chief of Justice as one of the boys has gone soft. Payment will be in suitcases of cash taken from criminals , and all sorts of unashamed extras and entertainment go with the post. I'll put your name down on a short list of one Laughing ( ps bring your choice own mirrored sunnies ) 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #326837 10th Jul 2017 10:43 am
Yorky Bob

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #326845 10th Jul 2017 12:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1