« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > floor/wall tiles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
floor/wall tiles

hi, is there any reason that I couldn't use floor tiles on a wall? just want to put one level of 333mm tiles around a tiled shower floor.
Cheers. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #326023 27th Jun 2017 12:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

No! Good floor tiles are double pressed so they are harder. I'f you can, use textured tiles for the floor, they give you grip, also they feel warmer under foot due to the tiny air pockets under foot. Our own shower has smooth tiles with a satin finish & the older one gets the more dangerous they are.

Speaking of tiles, I'm just doing a bit of touch up re-grouting in the shower area & a bit of maintenance to an investment unit.

Go for 600mm tiles, large tiles in a small space actually help it look larger & there is less work on the grout, especially in the long run!

600mm floor, 300 walls & no maintenance back lit suspended acrylic ceiling! There is a power socket in the mirror cupboard for tooth brushes etc. Bathroom was done in 2010. Also if you use a tile like these with a variation in colour, keep the darker tiles out of corners, it helps visually.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 27th Jun 2017 8:08 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #326026 27th Jun 2017 4:40 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Very nice wet room.
The floor is already tiled with floor tiles, just wanted to know if there was any reason why I couldn't put one course of the same floor tiles up the wall to cover old tiles. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #326030 27th Jun 2017 7:34 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

axle wrote:
..... to cover old tiles.

If you are covering old tiles it is preferable to actually remove them rather than sticking new tiles on top. You would need to look how they overlap along the edges to so you don't damage the floor tiles getting the old wall tiles off.

Thank's for the comment on the bathroom. I got trades people in to do everything but I did remove the old bathroom myself. Bought a demolition hammer for the job. Nevertheless it was a horrid job. Getting even a few old tiles off walls is not easy, & if you need to keep the floor tiles, it is going to be challenging to avoid ruining the floor in the process.

I would get a few of the floor tiles and sit them against the wall to see if you like the look before you are committed to far into the process. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 27th Jun 2017 11:15 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #326032 27th Jun 2017 8:10 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

No problem! Very Happy

Post #326038 27th Jun 2017 9:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

at my old house, i got a really good deal on some floor tiles, £120SqM down to £25SqM and bought the lot

I found the extra weight made the tiles slip a little more, but nothing a batton and spacers didn't sort out,

I ended up with a great looking bathroom and sold a few months later

the only mistake I made was starting a job when the wife was ready to drop the second kid and the midwife telling the wife to have a soak in the bath which had been ripped out Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #326040 27th Jun 2017 9:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1