« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Grenfel Tower Fire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Grenfel Tower Fire

My heart goes out to all the people and families who may have lost loved ones and their homes in the devastating fire. We hear talk of new cladding not up to spec, poor access, problems with fire risers, poor sealing of apertures between flats, etc, etc.
I remember the days when in charge of a building, a Fire Certificate had to be obtained and maintained. That Certificate was only given after inspection and approval by the local Fire Officer. Nowadays, it is all "self cert" by local management. That is where the problem lies. It is all too slack now.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #325168 15th Jun 2017 8:03 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

tragic, shouldn't have went up like that, investigation should reveal reasons.

too shocking for words.

Iain

Post #325175 15th Jun 2017 9:45 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I bet the Construction Company and in particular the contractor that installed the cladding are filling their pants right now as it seems as though the cladding caused the rapid spread of flame. I doubt very much if the cladding panels are the cause - they would have been tested, tested and tested again and met with every building regulation requirement even before someone would specify it to be fitted. I am guessing (and it is guessing) that the installation technique might be a contributing factor and I hope that the contractor who installed it did so to the letter because if they have used the wrong fixings or cut corners to save a few quid then they will be found out and prosecuted (there are enough panels at low level that were unaffected that could be checked).

Seems as though maintenance even on a recently refurbished building was poor, one of the residents complained that during a recent power cut half of the emergency lights on the stairwell were not working....

Finally - speculation is a fridge exploded in one of the flats - I wonder if it was one of Hotpoint's Tumble Dryers????

Condolences to all those affected and those that have lost loved ones in this terrible incident Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #325176 15th Jun 2017 9:49 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

It's being said these are the same panels involved in fires in France and Dubai. If so, I'm very angry that something like this can be allowed to happen in the 21st century. Whoever was responsible should be locked away, but sadly that won't undo what's happened. This is what happens when councils don't have the resources to carry out their statutory duties

Post #325184 15th Jun 2017 1:03 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We had a building burn in Melbourne a few years ago.

On the radio here today someone from the CSIRO (a well respected, by the pubic, government science organisation in Australia) said there are about 2500 high rise buildings down under with this material.

There are two versions, fire & non fire rated. To save money a lot of non fire rated version of the material has been used. CSIRO did a sample inspection of a few hundred buildings a year or so ago & about half did not have the fire rated version. So it is probably a similar percentage around the world.

How many people does it take to die & others with lifetime injuries to get this world wide problem fixed! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325188 15th Jun 2017 2:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i would think the construction company has tendered for the work, to the level set by the council

as they have started the work was carried out to the required level, thats the floor in the work the required level looks have to not been good enough, be that the spec requested, the lack of fire safety in the matterial etc

lots of question no answers at the moment Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #325189 15th Jun 2017 2:10 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Tim, can you explain more as I'm a bit lost as to why you think this all came about because of a lack of council resources

Post #325191 15th Jun 2017 2:17 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I think that what he means is that due to lack of council funds, when they put the tender out for the work (any work) to be done, it will go to the lowest possible bidder and not necessarily the best available product.

Any work that will have been done will have been done to the current bare minimum safety and design requirements, but will be have been legal according to the relevant legislation in place. (at least I hope it will have been)

its far too early to start pointing the finger of blame, but from the looks of it the new cladding actually accelerated the vertical spread of the fire by allowing it to jump up floors on the outside.

The base concrete construction of the tower block would have restricted and slowed the floor-by-floor spread of the flames, but the fire just found another route to destroy.

Post #325195 15th Jun 2017 2:41 pm
tim_roberts

My own council no longer enforces building regulations. It is left to private "accredited" companies to approve designs and the council has little or no powers to oversee them. I suspect, but have no proof, that they have very little involvement during the construction phase either.

This new culture of "self regulation" is basically a blue-print for corruption, sub-standard workmanship and lack of accountability in the building industry.

I can guarantee that somewhere during the refurbishment of Grenfell Tower someone knowingly spec'd, purchased and installed panels that were not fire-retardant and said to themselves "oh goody, we can save some money here". Whether that was the architect, the building contractor, or the council themselves (or all 3)will only come out in the public enquiry, but I am absolutely certain that we will see manslaughter charges being brought against someone at the end of the process.

Post #325200 15th Jun 2017 3:01 pm
Jonfen

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

What lovely person had the responsibility for signing of the C of C for this so called cladding?

Post #325201 15th Jun 2017 3:30 pm
tim_roberts

If he's got any sense he'll be on a plane to South America by now!

Post #325203 15th Jun 2017 3:34 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

maybe that the contractor failed to install the compartimental firestops?

up here in Scotland the contractors failed to install wall ties in schools which has resulted in walls collapsing.

but how could this be missed?

Iain

Post #325205 15th Jun 2017 4:03 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The material may well be fire retardant and be of the correct specification, it also may be installed correctly, however the conditions on the building when the fire started may well have not been tested when the material and installation were accepted. Various conditions such as building height, number of windows all go to reduce the fire retardant efficiency of the material, given the right wind conditions and other materials you can get rock to burn. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #325206 15th Jun 2017 4:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

tim_roberts wrote:
My own council no longer enforces building regulations. It is left to private "accredited" companies to approve designs and the council has little or no powers to oversee them. I suspect, but have no proof, that they have very little involvement during the construction phase either.

Same in Australia. It is all private certifiers, PCA (principal certifying authority)

We have had a different set of building issues next to us. The PCA obviously works closely with the the people who are paying them. When neighbours complain about building issues to the PCA, the PCA say go to council & Council says go to the PCA.

The entire system is stuffed.

On other building issues. We have to have asbestos, safety & fire reports etc for blocks of units only if you are Strata. We are not Strata but have done them anyway. There are so many disclaimers in these reports that they are not worth the paper they are written on. (eg: The safety report said XYZ.... & for one example said we had to get the balustrade measured to see if it complies. Isn't that actually part of the safety report itself. The report just says XYZ & that we need to get all these things checked buy another company. Even more ridiculous, is that our building is very old. If we simply repaired the balustrade we could have still keep going with this vastly non compliant balustrade. 400mm gaps where people could fall through. But we chose to replace it to be compliant as possible. It is about 99% compliant but to be 100% we would need to knock the building down. To me 99% compliant balustrade is far better that 0% compliant balustrade which is allowed!

A basic fire regulation is we have to have a fire extinguisher in the electrical room (actually in the electrical room which is locked, it would be better if it was just outside for easy access) if we are Strata Title! Our building is not Strata so it does not need a fire extinguisher. Figure that one out! We put one in anyway.

We also put an extinguisher in the common laundry where fire usually start. Especially with a Samsung top loading washing machine model where a lot of houses have burnt down. You are not required to have a fire extinguisher in a common laundry whether you are Strata or some other title!

We also have fire extinguishers in our Unit, in the garage & in the car. Also put one in my investment unit, which is not actually required.

Australia also has all this Chinese electrical wire installed. The next fire disaster! I would not be surprised if you have the same problem. It is worth reading this government warning.
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/nati...ety-recall

But like the cladding, nothing is actually being done! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325221 15th Jun 2017 10:01 pm
Jonfen

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

anyone seen this

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=che...7967400213

Post #325589 20th Jun 2017 3:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>