Home > General > Buying a 62 Plate from a main dealer with issues re V5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Armalite5.56

United Kingdom 
Buying a 62 Plate from a main dealer with issues re V5

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but I'm in the process of buying a 62 plate FL2 HSE from a main dealer after having test driven it on the 29th of May. To cut the long story short after signing the papers etc for the deposit I was told they were having some problems getting the V5, but they told me not to worry about it as they hoped to get it sorted so I could pick it up this week Wednesday.

On Monday I called them and was told that there may be a bit of a problem to get it ready for Wednesday but that if I wanted to I could have a Demo car whilst it got sorted so I went and picked up a disco sport which was ok but we need to get a new car seat for our infant daughter so really need to go in the FL2 to get it fitted etc.

On Wednesday I went to speak to the dealer and was told that they hoped to have it ready by the weekend.

Today I have chased them and they told me that the previous owners never got a V5 and so per the DVLA it was still in trade from before the previous owners bought it and I checked with the DVLA and that really is the case strangely enough. So as the only silver lining around anywhere it seems is that on the V5 it will list one less keeper than it really should.

Now they suggested that I could pick it up on Monday but that is 5 days after they originally told me it would be ready and they had the car on the forecourt for a while as when I do a google search I can see in the cache that the week before we bought it, it was listed for £500 more than it was advertised when we did buy it so they must have wanted it gone so would they then not have taken the time to sort out this with the V5 before someone bought it? I refused Monday and told them tomorrow at the latest so I'm meant to be picking the car up at 11 tomorrow.

I have bought the car on HP from my bank as they offered the best APR so in effect I'm a cash buyer to the dealer if that matters and basically, I'm paying for a car that I can't drive until hopefully tomorrow which is really bugging me.

Also we had decided against going for a cheaper car advertised at another main dealer as it was too far away for us and we wanted it quicker and liked this one better due to colour and some optional extras but that seems to have bitten us in the rear... Sad

Anyone have any thoughts on if I should complain about this and if so the best approach to take? I feel like I have been messed around with and that I have had to chase the dealer to sort this out instead of them sorting it out for me which is what I would have expected from them.

Regards

ArmaLite

Post #324895 9th Jun 2017 5:08 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It sounds as though the problem is with the DVLA rather than the dealer. The DVLA are a law unto themselves and will take as long as they like to do anything. The dealer appears to be being pretty good, giving you a Discovery Sport to play with while things get sorted.

Post #324896 9th Jun 2017 6:06 pm
zanteboy01

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

So could this have been a courtesy car used by the previous dealer? Out of interest, are they including any LR used car warranty?

Post #324905 9th Jun 2017 9:49 pm
Armalite5.56

United Kingdom 

Could have been I suppose, I only have their word that someone else had it, mind you there is a tow bar on it so would point to someone using it for towing something around.

Yes they are including the standard 2 year warranty.

Post #324914 10th Jun 2017 12:31 am
Dartman the one

England 

There were a few 'ex LR' FL2 with tow bars scattered about various hire firms for LR assist, so unless the paint has been removed from the ball I would suggest it is one of these especially if it's an HSE. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #324916 10th Jun 2017 6:44 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Yup, sounds like it is the DVLA at fault. Admittedly you would have expected the LR Dealer to have already had the V5, but I guess that's asking too much. I've just been through a huge wait with the DVLA to get my BY all because there was apparently an issue with the address. They won't budge on time scales or make any sort of apology. At least the dealer is offering to help where it can. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #324919 10th Jun 2017 8:11 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

most likely issues with the dvla as suggested, things like private plates, retentions, etc can slow things up.

have you had sight of the reg plate on the car ? and checked it out ?

how many owners has it actually had ?

what is the mileage ?

Iain

Post #324924 10th Jun 2017 8:52 am
Armalite5.56

United Kingdom 

Mileage 48000, one former keeper officially. And looks to be in near mint condition with cream leather seats in as new condition. Unfortuently it's the MY2011 and not the newer one but I guess I can't have everything... Sad

I picked it up yesterday and I really enjoyed the drive home!

Post #324965 11th Jun 2017 6:21 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

sounds good, enjoy Thumbs Up

Iain

Post #324973 11th Jun 2017 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1