Home > General > Buying a Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MikeT2

Spain 
Buying a Freelander 2

Hello Everyone,

I am about to buy a Freelander 2 and have narrowed the search down to the following 3 offers and am kindly asking for your support.

If you can highlight any differences or things to look out for that would be greatly appreciated. I will use the car only on weekends. As I live in Barcelona/Spain I will mainly use it to drive Kitesurfing in summer and snowboarding in winter. So won't do many Kilometers a year. I wonder which one of the following three has the best value or is likely to keep its value and also if the asking price is fair or should be negotiated.

Since the website is only in Spanish I have put a link to Google that translates each site to English, although there is not much to read for most.

A) LAND-ROVER Freelander 2.2 SD4 Auto SE => English translation with Google

B) LAND-ROVER Freelander 2.2 Td4e E StopStart => English translation with Google

C) LAND-ROVER Freelander 2.2 Td4 S StopStart => English translation with Google

Any other observations or tips are welcome. I will check the first two this week since they are in Barcelona, option C is a few hours away so I will only go there if it makes sense.

Thanks,
Michael

Post #324210 29th May 2017 10:41 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Just my thoughts after looking at the first 2 only, I would be more inclined to the SD4 - 2 years younger, 190 over 160 BHP, only 60K km and I'm not a fan of StartStop technology. At such low km's both should drive really nice & sharp and also be sure to look if the LR service history is fully stamped, this would also sway my thinking.

Price wise it is very country dependent, they are not too far out when comparing to Swiss prices (which are high) but as you are buying in Spain only you can really say if they are good value I would say.

Whichever you go for you'll love it if you get anything like as much sure footed fun from it as we have from ours which is now coming upto 205K km and 11 years old Smile

Post #324215 30th May 2017 6:47 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Stop Start is a pain but you just hit the button on start up and forget for the rest of any journey. As you are not doing shopping and kids runs no issue.

If just one engine is more modern with no swirl flaps I would go for that. If they are all the same forget that one.

A Good Guarantee on offer is a consideration.

They will all depreciate pro-rata if looked after and not abused and no one in UK knows the local prices elsewhere so your on own on deciding what is a fair price. Hopefully another Spanish owner may pop up. Every price is negotiable when you have choice. Only yesterday (not LR) I walked the walk when told categorically the was no more to be had in a car showroom and phone went inside 2 hours and £600 had come off a car and I am still waiting for another £140 to cover the road tax.

Set of tyres first makes a few hundred pounds difference and while on tyres they all need to be same make/type and equal wear.

Hope that helps. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #324216 30th May 2017 7:49 am
MikeT2

Spain 

@mdpslm: Thank you for your message: I like all of them but the first one stands out to me as well, so its my favorite for the moment as well. I am in contact with the dealer and getting more information about the service history etc. If this checks all out I will seriously consider going for this one. Need to negotiate the price as I think even for Spain it's a bit on the high side.

@Yorky Bob: Thank you for your message: Good point about the guarantee. They offer guarantee but I am not sure if what it includes really, need to find that out. Besides Tyres, is there anything specific to the LR2 that has to be checked? Specific parts that rust early on?

Cheers Michael

Post #324247 30th May 2017 1:57 pm
Yorky Bob

Unless its been dropping a boat off in Spain rust should not be an issue but you do need to be aware that differentials fail on some so a rock solid guarantee may help there. Any sign of rumble/drone from rear walk away. FSH with a LR and recent should be OK but any car can have had a accident so look for clean door lines etc etc. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #324248 30th May 2017 2:18 pm
MikeT2

Spain 

@ Yorky Bob: Sorry for my ignorance but what does FSH mean Question

Post #324254 30th May 2017 4:19 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

FSH = Full Service History Thumbs Up

Post #324255 30th May 2017 4:20 pm
Yorky Bob

MikeT2 wrote:
@ Yorky Bob: Sorry for my ignorance but what does FSH mean Question

and if you buy the wrong one it will become NFV and you will need a BFCO to drown your sorrows. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #324258 30th May 2017 4:32 pm
MikeT2

Spain 

Quote:
and if you buy the wrong one it will become NFV and you will need a BFCO to drown your sorrows.

Haha you got me there Rolling Eyes Let's cross fingers that won't be necessary

Post #324264 30th May 2017 5:26 pm
Swobt

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Not much help to you really but a couple of weeks ago I bought a 2.2 sd4 auto xs. It is bloody brilliant. Got an auto to tow 1750kg caravan and with no low box like I had on my disco was told auto better. I will NOT be going back to a manual the auto box is fantastic. As you can tell well pleased with my first freelander2.

Post #325301 17th Jun 2017 8:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1