Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New Disco - Bath Tub on wheels?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

It's mainly price, the overall quality of the D5 is good but it's not at level that's worth the price tag, my one so far is fault free so I've no complaints in that respect but there is an element of disappointment in the overall package.

I'm enjoying my D5 but I think I'm needing a change of scene, so 2019/20 I may move to another brand, Volvo is top of the list, but you never know LR may have something that's worth staying. Either way I've no immediate plans to move as I do have a good relationship with Pentland Cupar. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #323893 24th May 2017 1:45 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Suppose it'll also be a case of seeing what the new Defender brings ? FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #323898 24th May 2017 7:05 pm
j77

Scotland 

Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #323907 24th May 2017 9:26 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Each to their own at the end of the day. I'd like it more with a touch more aggressive styling and without the offset reg plate.

Right now I am happy driving around in my 2008 VW Golf 1.9TDi Match. No nonsense, comfortable and soild. Pre DPF so its old school PD engine which is more reliable. Less tech means less to go wrong and less faffy gadgets.

That being said, a personal favourite of mine at the moment is the Jaguar XE. Dream on for now... Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #323908 24th May 2017 9:41 pm
j77

Scotland 

The new XF Sportbrake, now that would be a possibility if it had AWD, I'm sure it will be an option as the saloons have it.

One thing the new Disco is good at, it is an impressive motorway cruiser, mile after mile in total comfort, drove it to Romford and 7 hours later I felt as fresh as I did at the start. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #323919 24th May 2017 11:45 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Friend of a friend story but tales of 14 recalls. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #323934 25th May 2017 9:33 am
j77

Scotland 

Not on topix, though there is technical bulletins for various things, thankfully mines not affected, it's mainly higher spec models with the useless tech. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #323935 25th May 2017 9:38 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Horsey and stables / landed people so probably a full cream version. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #323936 25th May 2017 9:46 am
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I was told many years ago never the buy the first of a new model (just as well as I couldn't afford/justify it anyway) but to buy that model as it was reaching then end of it's production life, as by then, all the faults would have been addressed. This can be applied to all makes and models, not just Land Rover.

In defence of the D5, all new models have teething problems, sure they should have been addressed prior to the model launch but in the real world it's not possible to find every issue that may crop up during the testing phase. This is due to the fact that owners use/drive their cars differently and this can raise issues on one car but not another

Post #323937 25th May 2017 9:46 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I was told the same thing dennij re new cars. I bummed in to a guy a few weeks ago who had a disco4 , traded it in for a D5 . Obviously got chatting about the car .. nice to drive , his wife likes it because it's lower and she can get in easier.. its been in the garage every Wednesday for 6 weeks as there's a fuel flow fault and the garage can't find the problem. Last Wednesday I saw the chap driving another loan car . Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #323942 25th May 2017 10:44 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

j77 wrote:
I haven't ruled out
the new Jaguar XF Sportbrake AWD 2.5T is appealing.

Beware. My brother had one of these (actually the supercharged version) and it nearly had him through a hedge due to the lack of weight on the rear. He traded it very soon after that event for an RRsport. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #323949 25th May 2017 1:58 pm
j77

Scotland 

I think if I was to ever move, the Volvo would be my first look. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #323951 25th May 2017 2:13 pm
Black Free 2

United Kingdom 

Northcroft wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:
All looking the same and way out of the pocket of Joe Bloggs. The bubble will burst at some point for sure. Thud

is there any Freelander forums where the owners are just ordinary poor people ? i.e trying to keep an OLDER 5 grand car going, everyone seems to be trading in newer cars than mine for newer models, never ever and never will afford a car over £9000 in 40 years of driving . . . . Big Cry Rolling with laughter

Ordinary guy here Very Happy I did however buy cars for over £10k twice - to my shame! Needless to say I lost a fortune on both of them but I have now learnt my lesson - hopefully lol! My lovely new Freelander 2 (new to me obviously) cost just over £6k and is hopefully a cracker. I will maintain in diligently (change oil and filter at least every £6k etc) as I usually do and hopefully it will last as long as my old Volvo did - over 240k miles and no probs, and my current VW T4 at over 250k miles and sweet as a nut Smile Would I buy one of the new uber bland clone Land Rover Discoverys if I had the money - not a chance!

Post #323959 25th May 2017 5:43 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

My thoughts...

As a former Metropolis owner (loved it btw) and then 2 Discovery Sports, I recently became an owner of the aforementioned upturned bathtub. It's a HSE and has pretty much everything you need plus a few others you don't (trying to remember what they are). Yes it's got an odd ar $e - complete with silly number plate, but as a place to be for a few hours a day it'seems pretty darn good.

J77 mentioned previously, some of our number have had some absolute shockers with dealer support to match, whereas I am really counting my blessings with this 'cos when LR get it right it is soooo good.

Would I have any of the BMW / Audi / Volvo / Mercedes-Benz equivalents? No. Thumbs Up

Would I have the new Defender? Umm. ...

An XF estate with AWD and 3.0 v6 diesel sounds like a good idea (raised suspension a la Audi All road would be magic too). Now:
17MY Discovery D5 2.0 HSE (Carpathian):

Gone::
(04/17): 16.5MY Discovery Sport HSE (Waitomo)
(08/16): 16MY Discovery Sport HSE Lux Auto (Corris Grey + Black pack)
(11/15): 15MY Freelander 2 Metropolis SD4 (Loire blue)

Post #324120 27th May 2017 9:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123