Home > General > Variable Speed Cameras - £526million in fines since 2013
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Variable Speed Cameras - £526million in fines since 2013

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/dri...y-cameras/

Some interesting comments here about the need to suddenly brake hard as the speed sign changes from say 60 to 40mph as you approach close to the camera.
Apparently a significant % of drivers dont understand how they work.

Ive been in that situation; you are already slowing down to cross the camera at say 60 , the driver behind is also slowing but closing up and as you get close to the camera it changes to a lower speed . Do you hit the brakes to get your speed down but worry if the person behind will react fast enough or go through camera at say 50 and continue to slow to 40 but more gently, and hope you've not got a speeding fine.

Can anyone confirm whether these cameras have a delay period after dropping the speed as vehicles close to the camera will not be able to drop their speed fast enough without braking hard ?

I just set the cruise control and sit it out. Although it can get irritating when you come up to people who dont/wont use cruise control and/or cannot maintain a constant speed on inclines. Jules

Post #323611 19th May 2017 9:48 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I got snapped about 3 years ago on the M1 near Nottingham. I saw the gantry speed sign change from national to 60 about 3 secs before I passed under it, and got double flashed by the camera on the gantry. Clocked doing 72mph in a 60mph. So in that case there was no delay.

Post #323612 19th May 2017 9:53 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I travel through the road works on the M74 a couple of times a week , it's about 4 miles long with average speed cameras @50mph . The number of people that pass me when my speedo says I'm doing 50mph is unbelievable, a few even fly past. I can honestly say I'm pretty much the slowest guy going through the road works.
I know speedos vary a wee bit but even so it's ridiculous how many pass me. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #323613 19th May 2017 9:57 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I call them "Voluntary Tax Payers" they are helping keep down the compulsory rates Whistle No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #323615 19th May 2017 9:59 am
RogB

Purplemadboy wrote:
I travel through the road works on the M74 a couple of times a week , it's about 4 miles long with average speed cameras @50mph . The number of people that pass me when my speedo says I'm doing 50mph is unbelievable, a few even fly past. I can honestly say I'm pretty much the slowest guy going through the road works.
I know speedos vary a wee bit but even so it's ridiculous how many pass me.

that's what I always do when it the specs time/distance/speed cameras..... hit the cruise and sit there until im out past the last camera.

but your right... its incredible the number of muppets who speed through those sections, and some even still slam the brakes on when they see the camera then speed up again past it.

Post #323616 19th May 2017 10:03 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I find cruse control at 40 km/h (25 mph) in Sydney useful to prevent a government revenue fine. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #323619 19th May 2017 10:44 am
Dartman the one

England 

In theory average speed cameras do not read instant speed or report instant speed they log your plate and time, the overhead gantry cameras attached to the regulating speed limit do, depending on hold ups you can happily do 80mph in an average speed zone so long as it's not for long and there are no instant speed cameras.
Most vehicles stop faster than they accelerate so every time you slow in the zone you will take longer to regain the speed limit, then you have to go very quickly to average the limit. The M74 is a good case, if you know where the cameras are, where you join and where you leave the motorway your speed may well be unknown to the cameras. Many commuters take advantage of this Rolling Eyes my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #323627 19th May 2017 12:50 pm
RogB

agreed.. in theory you could drive for 90% of an average speed camera A to camera B zone at double the speed limit,

As long as the last 10% you are doing half the speed limit, then your average time between camera A and camera B will be within tolerances for the speed calculation. basic speed/time/distance calculation Very Happy

However I think we have more than enough these days to deal with on the roads without having to work out which camera is recording my car and where in the average zone did I join etc etc etc

Id much rather hit the zone at near enough the right speed, sit at that speed until the cameras have finished and then continue on my merry way and my normal speeds

I used to travel the M1 everyday when they were widening the Nottingham stretch. I timed my journey before the cameras went in, and when they were in. The difference over a 25 mile stretch was only a couple of minutes at most so not worth the effort of trying to dodge the cameras.

Post #323641 19th May 2017 2:10 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Given that my speedo is about 2mph out, I set the cruise control at 52 on those motorway sections. Interesting to see what speed the trucks do, as they have very accurate speedos/tachographs and also the drivers don't want the points.
If I was done for speeding as the variable limit changed, as above, I'd certainly appeal the fine. Might not get anywhere though. Would a dashcam record the change? If so that might be enough evidence. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #323645 19th May 2017 3:13 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I was given to understand that the average cameras work on one lane only thus by switching lanes (assuming 2 or 3 lane controlled area) you can avoid a ticket - is this an old wives tale or fact. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #323648 19th May 2017 4:00 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I believe that is an old wives tale, your number and time is recorded on any camera and the software stores it, if the time difference between the recordings indicates a speed above which they will prosecute you have a lower bank balance Sad
The variable speed camera though will record your speed, however whether your speed was higher than the new will depend on that speed recorded and the time of that speed, both your speed and the time of the speed change is recorded for the purposes of any court proceedings for or against you, they don't make that much cash out of a multitude of rebuttles on the time change without evidence. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #323651 19th May 2017 4:16 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

RogB wrote:
agreed.. in theory you could drive for 90% of an average speed camera A to camera B zone at double the speed limit,

As long as the last 10% you are doing half the speed limit, then your average time between camera A and camera B will be within tolerances .

I may be wrong? I thought the speed cameras at A and B will recognize your car and the times taken at both locations are noted. The distance between the 2 cameras is known so your average speed can be calculated based on these factors regardless of your actual speeds in between these 2 cameras.

Post #323652 19th May 2017 4:29 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Variable Speed Cameras - £526million in fines since 2013

jules wrote:
https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/drivers-face-526m-variable-speed-fines-smart-motorway-cameras/

Can anyone confirm whether these cameras have a delay period after dropping the speed as vehicles close to the camera will not be able to drop their speed fast enough without braking hard ?

When variable limits/smart motorways started on the M62 near where I live the local paper reported that when the overhead speed limits changed there was a 40 second delay before the cameras kicked in and fines issued. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #323665 19th May 2017 8:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1