Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > re trolley jack recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have found in the past that the Clarke trolley jacks do need to be serviced more frequently than others.

The one i've just retired has had one set of new seals and three oil changes (yes, that is a thing). Each time it was like a new jack again for a few years. Now that i'm not raising light weight French tin off the deck i decided it was about time for something bigger.

I bought the Arcan 2t alloy jack from costco for £80. Very impressed with it, it throws the Freelander in the air with ease. My only concern is the lifting pad is a bit on the large size for european cars so I might have to fashion up another.

Post #321809 19th Apr 2017 6:28 pm
weekender

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

hi that looks like a decent jack, it doesnt lift as high as the sgs, but dont forget its another £20 on top of the sgs price.

At the weekend I changed my haldex, it took ages to get the car onto 4 axle stands, partly because the jack was such hard work.

Then the release screw snapped, but fair play to machine mart I called them today and they are coming to collect it on thursday, but then its only 5 months old and this is the second time that it has been back to them.

Once the jack is fixed i may keep it for the caravan or sell it and give the money to one of my partners animal charities.

What I dont understand is I have an old 2 ton trolley jack, its at least ten years old, and it works perfectly however to use it on the freelander is a pain because its too low, but then it did only cost about £15.

I have included a couple of pics of the old haldex, I dont know what wrong with it but I am going to test the pump
I dont know why but i was expecting the ecu to be blown or something but it looks fine

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #321812 19th Apr 2017 7:04 pm
weekender

Vanny wrote:
I have found in the past that the Clarke trolley jacks do need to be serviced more frequently than others.

The one i've just retired has had one set of new seals and three oil changes (yes, that is a thing). Each time it was like a new jack again for a few years. Now that i'm not raising light weight French tin off the deck i decided it was about time for something bigger.

I bought the Arcan 2t alloy jack from costco for £80. Very impressed with it, it throws the Freelander in the air with ease. My only concern is the lifting pad is a bit on the large size for european cars so I might have to fashion up another.

hi i have ablue 2 ton clarke jack, its a t least ten years old and it works perfectly, but i guess thats sods law

Post #321813 19th Apr 2017 7:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

weekender wrote:
hi all, thanks for the input, I have gone for the sgs 3 ton garage jack and 2 of their ratchet axle stands.

i am going to sent the other one back to machine mart, its only 6 months old

You're doing the right thing - my heavy duty 2.75 tonne jack is over 20 years old and works perfectly - it pays to get a decent one.

Whilst on about MachineMart some (not all) of their stuff is very poor quality. I had 2 heavy duty (red ) vices and cracked the castings of both simply pushing out Landrover suspension bushes. Bought a Record vice - alot more expensive but it copes with everything I through at it. Jules

Post #321882 20th Apr 2017 6:11 pm
weekender

hi jules, i have started to replace my handbrake shoes today, i put the jack under the car and because the bar is so long i could jack the car up in one go and then put an axle stand under the cill jacking point,

i would never work just under a jack, but i use the jack for safety in-case the axle stand fails.

changing the hand brake shoes is a pig of a job, on my car the adjuster was seized so i had to force the disc off, however the shoes were cracked so they needed to be binned anyway.

i have gone for discs that are coated so they dont rust, i havent fitted that type before

Post #321883 20th Apr 2017 6:25 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

impressive looking jack, just out of interest as a newbie to Freelander 2, has ANYONE tried to jack one up with the jack provided perhaps in an emergency wheel swap out in the wilds, the thought of it scares me Rolling with laughter

Post #322285 25th Apr 2017 6:45 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The standard jack is ok under certain conditions. That is the car is more or less level, and that the jack foot has a decent base If you are off-road I've got a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply in each car . One of our Aussie contributors on here published a nice picture a while ago , he had made plates to spread the load out of Aluminium Chequer Plate and nuts and bolts .

For changing a wheel on the drive the standard jack will do the job. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #322303 25th Apr 2017 7:55 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks for that Martyn

Post #322312 26th Apr 2017 6:37 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #322313 26th Apr 2017 7:11 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Gas Bag

No real knowledge of these Lightwater but seems like a good idea out in the Bondu or other uses.

FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322315 26th Apr 2017 7:35 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Lightwater wrote:
Click image to enlarge

Copying these is on my list of " projects for the early retired person" Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #322323 26th Apr 2017 8:29 am
weekender

hi martin, thanks for the input, you really wouldnt believe how much easier it is to jack the car up with the sgs jack.

its a lot wider, that makes it more stable, the jacking bar is much longer which gives more leverage and make jacking easier.

for example my dpf sensor was throwing up a dtc, I jacked the car up according to the recommendations and put 2 ramps under the wheels. that was my saturday job. jacking it up was easy.

on sunday i fitted new rear discs and pads and handbrake shoes, i put the jack in the recommended place and jacked it up in one go, then rested the car back on axle stands.

for £104 i got the jack and 2 3 ton axle stands, if you do jobs on your car then the sgs jack is a bargain.

the only down side is that its blood heavy, when machine mart return the jack i will keep it as a break down jack.

as i said thanks for the input

Post #322351 26th Apr 2017 5:33 pm
mace

Sweden 

If you can find a NIKE trolley jack it'll last you a lifetime, and your kids'

I've had one for over 25 years now, works like new Bow down

Post #322569 29th Apr 2017 9:05 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I've jacked up the motor with the standard jack and it works fine for emergencies Thumbs Up

Post #322571 29th Apr 2017 9:30 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

or CG style
 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #322574 29th Apr 2017 9:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>