« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > driller and grooved rear disca
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
weekender

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
driller and grooved rear disca

hi all, i am going to replace my rear discs as they need changing, looking around i have seen companies selling drilled and grooved discs for not much more than standard discs.

what are your thoughts on changing just the rears to this type of disc, or would you change front and rear to drilled / grooved

hope your all having a good weekend, ive just spent 3 hrs refitting my egr valve and cooler and my back is in pieces

thank god for red wine

Post #321034 8th Apr 2017 7:05 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

One thing I've never been able to fault mine on is the brakes.

Post #321038 8th Apr 2017 8:02 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: driller and grooved rear disca

weekender wrote:
ive just spent 3 hrs refitting my egr valve and cooler and my back is in pieces thank god for red wine

Fancy fitting another EGR today on mine ? Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #321049 9th Apr 2017 8:55 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Weekender

Grooved and/or drilled disks will offer you no benefits apart from looking different.They are essentially designed to offer better cooling for fast vehicles undertaking repeated hard braking - as on a track where you can overheat standard road brakes in minutes if you try.
For a FL2 they will offer no improvement in braking. They will increase braking noise; and it can be considerable. You will see a bigger improvement with better brakes pads eg Tarox (if they make them to fit a FL2 (I dont know if they do or not).

My experience is limited but comes from putting grooved disks on my remapped 3 series BMW, and tracking it at places like Nurburing and Oulton Park. The braking noise was awful . I eventually went but to standard plain disks but with Tarox pads and that was a very good combination.

Click image to enlarge

Sadly the BMW was sold several year ago as I got fed up with all the dents and scratches it accumulated through having to park in NHS car parks. But I retired this week and Im now looking for something to fill that gap in my life. Jules

Post #321056 9th Apr 2017 11:31 am
weekender

hi jules, tanks for the input, i use the car mainly for towing, if i do fit drilled rears i will also fit the same to the front.

i have had bikes for years and the later ones have all had drilled discs, i havent heard any noise when braking

I know what you mean about nhs car parks but i think it applies to all car parks and the people who dont take care when opening the car door.

I used to work for the nhs, we had to pay a yearly fee to use the car park, but you werent guaranteed a space, brill Rolling with laughter

Post #321066 9th Apr 2017 6:34 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

It could have been that the MTec grooved disks were simply not very good - I have nothing to compare them to except the standard disks.

I intend to upgrade to the larger diam front brakes (from the petrol FL2) when the current disks wear out. Same pads but now moved further from the centre of rotation so more effective.

NHS staff parking - I paid £45 a month - insufficient spaces for all the staff and if you double parked you got clamped and fined. People got there early and sat in the car park eating their breakfast waiting for a space after the night shift go home.
Glad Im out of that now. Jules

Post #321079 9th Apr 2017 10:27 pm
weekender

Hi, I used to go in 30mins early but that was mainly to miss the rush hour, but in summer and sometimes in winter I would take the bike, it was 35 miles to work and it gave me chance to ride the bike and obviously parking was a lot easier.

I work from home now and only do around 4k a year.

I have decided to go for standard discs, the previous owner put new front discs and pads on it last april, and its only done 3k since then but the rear discs were an advisory on the mot last april

I am going to change them sometime this week.

Post #321092 10th Apr 2017 7:52 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The problem with drilled and grooved brake discs on a 4x4 is that the drilled holes and the grooves fill with mud and debris (even from just driving across a muddy camp site. This debris then causes wear on the pads, discs etc and more noises.

If it was just me Id stick to standard solid discs (or the larger discs from the I6 petrol) with decent pads,

Post #321104 10th Apr 2017 10:45 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Fitted drilled and grooved rear discs last year on my MY13 absolutely no problem with them No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #321144 10th Apr 2017 4:43 pm
weekender

RogB wrote:
The problem with drilled and grooved brake discs on a 4x4 is that the drilled holes and the grooves fill with mud and debris (even from just driving across a muddy camp site. This debris then causes wear on the pads, discs etc and more noises.

If it was just me Id stick to standard solid discs (or the larger discs from the I6 petrol) with decent pads,

hi, i have a sports bike and a trail bike, i haven't noticed any disc wear on the trail bike which i do take off road

i suppose i am looking at fitting drilled / grooved discs because they look nice, just like they look nice on my 1300 suzuki

but i appreciate that the performance of the freelander doesnt warrant such a high spec disc, I havent read any problems with brake fade when towing either.

Post #321149 10th Apr 2017 6:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1