Home > General > Alarm system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TerenceHS

South Africa 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Alarm system

A Good Day To All,
I recently purchased a used 2011, diesel, auto, HSE FL2 with 105,000km on oddo., some issues, which is normal but overall looks good, however one of the items I wanted the LR dealer to check was the alarm. The salesman had confirmed that the car had a movement sensor alarm fitted (the small plastic dome on dash, centre under windscreen), however I could not get the siren to do more than peep, when pressing the fob, it sounded twice on setting, once on off with the flashers & sometimes not at all!.
The dealer checked my operation of the fob & confirmed this was correct & booked the car in to the workshops, some hours later the foreman told me this vehicle was not fitted with this alarm only a horn sounded as a perimeter alarm, on query regarding the plastic dome & siren he told me the dome was for a temperature sensor? (I still need to confirm this as on previous cars (Jeeps) it was a SatNav sensor), why the siren? he could not say!!. Can anyone confirm any of this as true or have you any info for me to follow up.
Thanks in advance, Regards.
Terry "Other" car: Defender TD5 CSW 90.
Ex LR's owned: Series 2a SW short, Series 3 SW petrol 6 cylinder long, Series 3 pickup petrol long, Series 3 pickup diesel, long.
"Other makes", ex cars too many to list here, total over 5 bar klicks covered.

Post #323772 22nd May 2017 12:47 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

There are different alarm specs for different markets, and I don't know what is fitted for the SA market. The foreman is correct about the dome on the dash - it's a "sun load" sensor, used to detect sunlight levels and adjust the aircon as appropriate.

If your car has the movement sensor (fitted in the roof above the rear seats) I believe it should also have the siren. The latter is located behind and slightly across from the battery and looks like a metal box with one rounded end where the sounder itself is located. If it's there you should see it if you remove the battery box cover and look behind the battery.

If your system uses the horn for the alarm then I believe it will not have the motion sensor.

Post #323774 22nd May 2017 1:00 pm
TerenceHS

Hi pab,
Thank you for the prompt reply & info regarding "plastic dome" this makes sense as I could not find it listed anywhere in LR literature. As to the alarm, it does have a siren which "peeps" my sound description lol, & I have seen it near battery & all the similar models I have tried do the same & use the horn for perimeter plus panic & siren for movement. The big "but" is that mine does not have a sensor fitted where you describe in the roof. I wonder if this can be retro fitted as the siren is there & "sets" with the fob?
Have a greatday & thanks again.
Terry "Other" car: Defender TD5 CSW 90.
Ex LR's owned: Series 2a SW short, Series 3 SW petrol 6 cylinder long, Series 3 pickup petrol long, Series 3 pickup diesel, long.

Post #323775 22nd May 2017 1:14 pm
TerenceHS

Please anyone with any info concerning the above post a reply I really need to know if parts of the alarm are there can the interior sensor be retro fitted? Thanks in advance. "Other" car: Defender TD5 CSW 90.

Post #324166 29th May 2017 6:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1