« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bill 2

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Turbo

My freelander 2 turbo gone AWOL at 48 thousand miles , bearings failed ,1st clue of turbo going was reduced performance light on the dash ,1st thought was maf senser etc all checked out ok next fuel filter no change ,had to take it in to a local independent land rover place to get the codes read and results lead to the turbo been knackered so going to cost me 1thousaned and five hundred to fix it ,just to much work for me to have a go at so bite the bullet and paying for it ,three hundred quid of that is vat , wish i still had my long gone TDI discovery " i could have changed the turbo on that my self ,just to much electricity on cars these days for a lot of d.i.y with out a good code reader to make things easier when doing repairs. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by bill 2 on 4th Apr 2017 8:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #320761 4th Apr 2017 8:34 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Mine is giving me grief and I should know more in the next 48 hours, it has reduced performance but revs fine until it warms up and then the reduced performance kicks in.

If you take the bottom skid plate off you can just get hold of the turbo lever/rod and that needs checking for being free and not stuck. I would make your garage do that check and clear the codes and see if it red lines from cold before letting them just flog you a turbo. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320764 4th Apr 2017 8:48 pm
bill 2

1st thing they checked for , car would pull all the way to 60 mph before the reduced performance light would come then the engine management light and once these came on that was it ,the day i took it in there was no power struggled​ to get to 30 mph and was juddering on tickover and almost died out side the garage , everything else checked out ok.

Post #320767 4th Apr 2017 9:07 pm
bill 2

Will ask to see the old turbo when i pick the car up Friday but have no reason not to trust the garage as so far they have been very good in keeping us informed of things as they checked things over and were very good in fitting us in inspite of been very busy last Friday ..

Post #320768 4th Apr 2017 9:15 pm
bill 2

Not going to get my freelander back until Monday now ,got a call. Asking me to go. See the garage repairing it as i had asked to see the old turbo yep i bearing knackered which?E i "anywhere new turbo turns they to order it in from land rover so he opens the box in front of me and the turbo housing or body what ever you call had a dent in it so the lad looks at it than me and says no way am i fitting that and gets on the phone telling the parts delivery firm he not accepting the part so they changing that and as the lad said god knows what else was wrong with it and wouldn't have done either me or him any good if it fails within a week or two of fitting it ,had to agree with him on that as i would have Censored off if i had to take it back so once it's up and running i"ok I'll a good feedback on their website as so far they have been very good in keeping us informed of things .

Post #320955 7th Apr 2017 7:31 pm
Yorky Bob

Glad they are looking after you.

Mentioned your turbo failing to my Indie when I was getting my reduced power message checked. He thinks its a rare job in a FL2 hence I said are you sure. If he does do a trurbo they are often overhauled not far from you near Durham as the cost of a LR one is mega money.

Mine is still chugging until next week when I hope we cure it with a EGR unit. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320989 8th Apr 2017 8:50 am
bill 2

Definitely the turbo was the proplem , i also was told it was rare for the turbo to fail on the fl2 guess i got the rare one Rolling Eyes then to top things off the egr valve failed when i t was being road tested before i collected it so that was another 30 pounds on the bill but he didn't charge me for fitting it in total it's cost me 1thousand and six hundred pounds 8 hundred pounds was a turbo from land rover ,three hundred pounds was vat and the rest was fitting charges and all the oil ,filters gasket's etc ..

Post #321385 13th Apr 2017 9:41 pm
Grahamv6

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Had my turbo replaced mon last week for £761.31 guess not what you know but who and the turbo was from land rover. Whistle Back in black !!

Post #321402 14th Apr 2017 4:18 pm
Yorky Bob

bill 2 wrote:
Definitely the turbo was the proplem , i also was told it was rare for the turbo to fail on the fl2 guess i got the rare one Rolling Eyes then to top things off the egr valve failed when i t was being road tested before i collected it so that was another 30 pounds on the bill but he didn't charge me for fitting it in total it's cost me 1thousand and six hundred pounds 8 hundred pounds was a turbo from land rover ,three hundred pounds was vat and the rest was fitting charges and all the oil ,filters gasket's etc ..

Thats a lot of dosh and I am surprised to hear of the EGR failing as well as a Turbo. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #321521 16th Apr 2017 4:34 pm
bill 2

Well after a few weeks of having the turbo and the egr valve replaced ,I have the reduced performance message come back on to night , going to take it back to the garage who done the work once I have spoken to them tomorrow.

Post #323875 23rd May 2017 10:05 pm
Yorky Bob

Banging Head Good luck with all of that. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #323876 23rd May 2017 10:10 pm
juarodri

Yorky Bob wrote:
Mine is giving me grief and I should know more in the next 48 hours, it has reduced performance but revs fine until it warms up and then the reduced performance kicks in.

If you take the bottom skid plate off you can just get hold of the turbo lever/rod and that needs checking for being free and not stuck. I would make your garage do that check and clear the codes and see if it red lines from cold before letting them just flog you a turbo.

Bob, wouldn't you have a picture showing how to get to this turbo lever and confirm it's not sutck?
I'm not having issues with my turbo but I'd like to understand and learn about what you¿re explaining.

Post #323897 24th May 2017 5:22 pm
Yorky Bob

I have picture of a turbo but can't upload it so PM me an email address.

There is a lever and it needs moving and lubricating to release carbon build up, will come clear on the pictures. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #323905 24th May 2017 8:17 pm
juarodri

Thank you Bob! PM sent

Post #323922 25th May 2017 1:42 am
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi all, had a look at turbo today.

I can get to actuator from under car but I can not move it at all. Just how easily should it move?

I don't have any issues or fault lights codes etc. Just can't move the actuator.

Cheers, JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #323985 25th May 2017 8:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>