Home > Technical > Polybushes anyone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand
Polybushes anyone?

Hi all

I have had the most annoying squeak from my rear suspension since it was MOTd at end of Feb, not so much a suspension squeak, more a body movement induced squeak.

Thought it was bushes so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of roll bar and trailing arm poly bushes.

Quite easy to remove the old bushes and fit the new and yippee the squeak has disappeared at last.

I know it was seven years ago when I bought the Freelander and I know your mind does get used to gradual changes over time but the steering seems sharper and corners much better, definitely less body roll on corners, the smoothness of the ride has not changed but it does seem to transmit more noise from rough road surfaces, not too intrusive but noticeable to me.

Anyone else running on polybushes and noticed differences.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #320339 28th Mar 2017 9:32 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I've polybushed a Defender and a Disco Td5 and also a BMW 300D - all much improved.

Not done a FL2 but its something think about in the future as I intend to keep our 64 plate SD4 for as long as possible. Jules

Post #320453 30th Mar 2017 11:45 am
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I poly bushed my Range Rover Classic and it was awful - a very hard ride and far more road noise
I soon went back to the original bushes

Post #320516 31st Mar 2017 10:36 am
jules

There are various grades of hardness of polybush (often denoted by being different colours)- and even the softest ones are harder than standard rubber bushes. So there is often a "sweet spot " compromise between rock hard track suspension and an improved but compliant street setup. Best to ask a suspension tuning company or the forums for advice. Thats what I did for the Defender, TD5 and BMW ( the latter two were really good afterwards with negligible increase in road noise or NVH). The problem for the OP is that there is very little info on suspension modifications for the FL2.

So I would replace with "soft" polybushes first.

The other thing to remember is that the bushes also absorb shocks through the suspension. Polybushes, being less complaint. will transmit those shocks through to other parts of the suspension which may not be a good idea especially if off-roading is contemplated. Jules

Post #320519 31st Mar 2017 12:18 pm
scrimple

Well here we are, 6 months down the line and I can say with authority, polybushes do not work well on the freely.

There is only one type or hardness available for the freely from Polybush, there is a marked increase in road noise, the suspension seems to move much quicker creating a booming sound and ride harshness on uneven roads, a bit like riding in an empty transit van, there is also a marked rear end sway when towing giving rise to some concern over safety. I have never had any concern towing in any kind of wind conditions in the freely until now but since I changed the bushes, the ride was disconcerting causing frequent steering input to maintain a straight line in all but the lightest of gentle breezes.

All in all, based on my experience, I would not suggest anyone change to Polybushes anytime soon.

Now where's that parts catalogue ..........  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual

Post #331524 19th Sep 2017 4:01 pm
Flyfisher

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

We all fall into the trap of thinking "the grass is greener" now and again.
Thanks for informing us about the poly bushes 👍

Post #331527 19th Sep 2017 4:56 pm
scrimple

Hi flyfisher

No problem.

I tried polybushes as I have used them before on a discovery2 with excellent results, they are easy to fit and future replacements are even easier but the stability is what convinced me to revert to "normal" bushes.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual

Post #331528 19th Sep 2017 5:03 pm
Flyfisher

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

One of the main reasons I chose to buy a FL2 was how well it soaked up the bumps and potholes in the ever worsening roads around where I live. I shall be using standard bushes when the time comes for them to be replaced.

Post #331531 19th Sep 2017 5:11 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Poly bushed the front arms on a v6 Calibra and it had no give in it.then it cracked on of the arms.calibra club at the time recommended seam welding the arms.therefore you need a bit movement somwhere.with the state of the roads I would keep it std.or the softer polly bush.

Post #331535 19th Sep 2017 6:08 pm
jules

Yes the roads are definitely getting worse. Round our area the farmers vehicles (artics, tractors, trailers etc) are now so large that they cant help but run onto the verges of our narrow lanes; crushing the edges of the tarmac and forming deep grooves in the verges which fill with rain water and further undermine the road's substructure. And so the road slowly gets narrower and narrower and then other vehicles continue the destruction.
I cycle a lot and its a nightmare trying to stay to the edge of the road and also miss the pot holes etc. Jules

Post #331549 19th Sep 2017 9:24 pm
boffin486

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi folks, new member here - I fitted PolyBushes to my MK II Capri & it transformed the handling (though there were other suspension mods & recambering done too) - in fact it felt almost as good afterwards as my Minis used to! Very Happy I guess it all depends on what you expect from a car at the end of the day.
Hi bobbyg by the way - I still have 3 Calibras (but none on the road just now) Just waiting for the elusive time to do something about it......... Rolling Eyes

Post #332745 7th Oct 2017 10:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1