Home > Off Topic > The End
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 
The End

Hi Guys, n Gals

This is probably the most poignant post I have ever written, after just over six years, I have had enough ...

Not of LR, or the product, indeed I still have a Freelander 2, but of the people of this forum, I no longer fit in, recent posts and PM's from various members have led me to this conclusion.

Over the last 18 or so months, the demographic of Freelander ownership has changed, this is not meant to derogate owners of FL2 in any way, it simply means that times have changed and as such, it is probably best I move on and let those who qualify step in and take over.

The last six years on here have been entertaining, useful and brilliant, indeed I bought my first FL2 as a result of the info on this forum but times change and along come new owners, different problems and different ideals of what the car should do.

With this, I wish you all well

Yours

Paul

Post #320189 25th Mar 2017 11:39 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Sorry to hear this Paul Sad many thanks for welcoming me to the forum you've always been very helpfully Thumbs Up

I'll miss having yourself moderating the forum. All the best mate Wink MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #320190 26th Mar 2017 12:12 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is sad Taz I enjoyed reading your posts,good luck pal.

Post #320194 26th Mar 2017 5:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the help Paul, as you say the members have moved on in age and outlook

In the early years you could have banter and a good laugh, maybe it was that most owners had to be of a certain age or wealth so we all had similar view on things, now the early FL2 are cheaper and the new generation is younger and more in to get a LR badge on the driveway and expect a 2006 to run perfectly Laughing

Not saying there isn't banter now, just different banter and out look, it show in how people complain about the most petty of things, don't say thanks when pointed in the direction of the fix to the issue, and post the same question anyway

Guess that's why I stopped posting so much myself months ago and just really wait for a triangle to be pressed or a pm to arrive Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #320195 26th Mar 2017 5:58 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

If it's any consolation, I have noticed this very change myself over the D3/D4 and RRS forums too Neutral

Post #320196 26th Mar 2017 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

npinks wrote:
... people complain about the most petty of things, don't say thanks when pointed in the direction of the fix to the issue, and post the same question anyway

All very true, unfortunately, and the forum is poorer for it. Paul, sorry to hear that, but I fully understand your reasoning. I too feel less inclined to post these days, and have noticed that there's now far less of interest to read.

Post #320197 26th Mar 2017 8:04 am
Navigator

Scotland 

I'm not on this forum because I have or want a Freelander - I have a Discovery. I'm here because of the banter and the great jokes (Discovery owners don't seem to do jokes). I was thinking I'll stop looking at it soon as it's ages since there was a good new joke so I'm another who is likely to be off.

Could all this be due to Land Rover themselves? Making all the models so alike and very similar to so many others manufacturers cars. Have we lost the individuality and ethose of being Land Rover Owners? Certainly one can go to just about every second hand dealer and have a choice of Land Rovers. They have become just another commodity box form of transport. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #320203 26th Mar 2017 9:24 am
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

That's bad news. I have only been around 3 years & haven't noticed the trends to the same extent, although there has been a tendency for some people to be disagreeable. This forum is a mine of information & as the cars get older the need to fix them regularly (& perhaps do more yourself) will increase. The comments re the D3/4 forum surprise me too. I have always thought the contributors there (and on some other LR forums) seem more inclined to get stuck in, do stuff themselves & write about it which always makes informative & amusing reading.
Anyway, as one of the less "youthful" members I do hope this forum can find itself, recover momentum & remain the friendly & helpful place it needs to be to survive.

Martin 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #320206 26th Mar 2017 9:56 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Sad news.

I've only been a forum member for just over a year, and have noticed the amount of time and work that you have put into keeping us in order.

Being a moderator on any site is not easy, and you have done it for no gain to yourself, but for the benefit of others. It now seems that there are some among us who are not fit to be members if they have decided to attack you.

The trolls dont deserve to be members of this site, but you do. I can tell from your post that the decision has not come easily, so the chances of asking you to reconsider are slim.

Thank you for all your time and energy. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #320212 26th Mar 2017 2:27 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

please rename this thread to 'frexit'

either
friend exit or freel exit take your pic

tazxit wasnt right

shame he isnt called gaz At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #320213 26th Mar 2017 2:46 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Always thought you did a proper job Taz and you helped make this a great forum. Thanks and cheers!
Robin

Post #320214 26th Mar 2017 2:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I bought my Freelander 6 years ago based on the help, advice & guidance of this forum.
you will be missed . 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #320215 26th Mar 2017 4:20 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Sorry to see you go Paul, I think moderating must be a thankless task. Make good use of your free time out in the real world mate Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #320217 26th Mar 2017 5:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

It definitely is a thankless task, the abuse you receive because you ask someone to rain it in is a joke especially for adults Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #320218 26th Mar 2017 5:40 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Of the various sites I use, the moderation here is about the most consistent and reasonable of them all.

Good luck Paul... it's a shame you feel as you do but nothing lasts forever eh.

Post #320219 26th Mar 2017 6:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>