Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Vibration issues help!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alans835

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White
Vibration issues help!!

Ok so I have hunted high and low on this matter, and keep coming to a dead end as most threads don't end with what was at fault. In recent weeks my 2011 Freelander 2 Auto has developed a vibration/noise when doing around 20-35mph. I have recently put new wheels on with the original 19" tyres (Pirelli's) that I took off at the start of the winter, the wheels are brand new LR diamond cut ones so shouldn't be any issue there. I do feel the noise changes with road surface so I thought great ill put my winters back on to see if the noise goes away and it didn't. When trying the car to see if I could pin point it the vibration seems to be at its worst going round a left hand corner, However it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing and on inspection I can feel no play. I then found an empty car park and drove the car on full lock in either direction to see if the CV joints would knock but silence. I have read on many threads its the diff/cv joints/prop shaft bearings/transfer box/Duel mass flywheel/wheel bearings. There seems to be a lot of people reporting the same or very similar fault has anyone had this fault or got this fault and know what is at fault with their car? If it was the rear diff I would have thought the noise would get worse the faster you go but it appears to tail off the faster I get. I don't want to start throwing money at it. Any guidance or experience would be much appreciated Confused Regards

Alan

Post #320630 2nd Apr 2017 9:55 pm
alans835

I have just come across bell engineering's website, and from the description it sounds like a transfer box. If So has anyone replaced these? Will call bell tomorrow for some advice. Regards

Alan

Post #320631 2nd Apr 2017 10:09 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We had an inner front CV joint fail due to water ingress into the bellows. It showed up as vibration at a certain speed. I found the cause by jacking the front wheels and checking for play in the joint. If you don't jack it up then the joint might have stopped in a position where you can't feel the play. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #320635 3rd Apr 2017 12:16 am
alans835

Thanks, I will have a check fingers crossed mine is the same don't fancy doing a diff or transfer box. Regards

Alan

Post #320636 3rd Apr 2017 1:04 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I'll be watching with interest Alan as the wife's Fl2 has the same problem , the noise being more noticeable at around 30/35 mph too .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #320642 3rd Apr 2017 5:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1