Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Had my freelander retinted after a bad job and now look...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Offshore1987

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue
Had my freelander retinted after a bad job and now look...

Hi

Had my freelander tinted which was awefully done, it was booked back in to be done correct and now it looks like when removing the badly done tint the guy has pulled some of the heater element off.... even after me asking would it do this to be told it wouldnt...

When i put the heater element on you can feel that alot of them do not heat up and the ones that do are very hot

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319342 12th Mar 2017 6:32 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I'd get a price for a new rear screen and fitting, then I'd ask him to refund the full tint money plus the price of the rear screen. If he agrees , great. Then walk away and forget the tinting. If he refuses, I'd just get the refund for the tinting, chalk it up to experience and get a new rear screen fitted. ( you can buy repair kits for the defogger, sort of conductive paint, but it would just Censored me off everytime I looked at it. ) 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #319343 12th Mar 2017 6:49 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Buy it, enjoy it and don't Censored about with it is my mantra of owning a expensive 4x4 car.

Otherwise its buy it, Censored about with it and regret it. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #319354 12th Mar 2017 9:27 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

as stated get the refund and compo if you can, going to be difficult to prove it wasn't like that before. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #319364 13th Mar 2017 12:47 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Yorky Bob wrote:
Buy it, enjoy it and don't Censored about with it is my mantra of owning a expensive 4x4 car.

Otherwise its buy it, Censored about with it and regret it.

Be a dull world if we were all the same Rolling Eyes

Post #319370 13th Mar 2017 9:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Offshore1987

Well had a reply which seems like they will fix it pending photos, so least thats something

The fitter first and second one both checked the rear screen and both said the heater element was intact before starting the job but like said could be a pain in who said what. I know it was fully working as everytime i go fishing on the return trip the rear windows fog up and i always use the heated screen to demist on the return trip home, plus with just having winter i use it nearly every morning and did so on the way to the tint shop lol

Like said above everytime i let someone near it todo a job someone messes something up..... Rolling Eyes

Took the rear off to see how the element is fitted and it seems that its under the dot matrix that goes around the edge of the window so im guessing its going to be a proper pain in the rear to fix it Shocked window out job or even new window?

Also noticed that the heater element only has a single wire going to it, so im guessing colder places have twin feed wires to put more current through it?

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319407 13th Mar 2017 7:13 pm
MartynB

New window if you want it to be perfect. As I said if you are dead handy with masking tape and a repair kit, you could get it work, perhaps, that's a thirty quid bodge. Cost of new glass , haven't got a clue, but plain tinted is going to be £200 to £300 at a guess. If you are intent on having black back windows , get the rear heated screen supplied in original equipment privacy glass, going to cost you more I guess. Then you only have to let the bodgers loose on the rear side glass Thumbs Up

*** Make sure that your tinters are getting a like for like replacement screen, not doing the conductive paint bodge ! You are entitled to this , not a repair ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #319414 13th Mar 2017 9:26 pm
Offshore1987

Just have to wait and see there reply before anything else, its a shame as if the first guy had of done a good job, then everything would be fine, but as he cocked it up and the next guy had to remove the crap work "tints", its recked the element and now sealed the recked element back under the new tint lol Laughing

All i want is it to be right but it seems to be anything but. Happy outcome would be new rear glass with element and dot matrix then to be tinted propley = job done, but will see maybe auto glass or someone can fit new element and dotmatrix then it could be retinted

Dan

P.s the tint company is Global Tints so its a large outfit not just some random guy Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319420 13th Mar 2017 9:56 pm
MartynB

I don't want to " Censored on your chips " Offshore , but the rear glass is a single unit. The dot matrix is baked onto the glass, it has two purposes, the adhesive that bonds the window into the frame uses the dots as a surface to grip onto, and from the outside the black dots stop th sun damaging the adhesive. The demister element is printed onto the glass, it can't be replaced . It's new glass or nothing, apart from the "paint " bodge. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #319423 13th Mar 2017 11:01 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My Sister had a company clean all the house windows. They scratched the glass. They denied it was them so I photographed the glass filaments still attached to the glass from a scraper.

We marked every main scratch, there were many hundreds of stickers all over the house. It look like it had chickenpox.

They changed there attitude instantly with the photographs and a letter from a lawyer. $17,000 worth of glass was replaced.

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 15th Mar 2017 8:08 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #319424 13th Mar 2017 11:05 pm
Offshore1987

MartynB wrote:
I don't want to " Censored on your chips " Offshore , but the rear glass is a single unit. The dot matrix is baked onto the glass, it has two purposes, the adhesive that bonds the window into the frame uses the dots as a surface to grip onto, and from the outside the black dots stop th sun damaging the adhesive. The demister element is printed onto the glass, it can't be replaced . It's new glass or nothing, apart from the "paint " bodge.

Cheers for the replys guys and thanks MartynB

Update is a very sorry reply email admiting its there fault and i have two options

1) there insurance excess is £100 and they will replace the rear screen via a windscreen company, then have ago at tinting it again ( not sure why i need to know there excess as its there problem )

2) they refund me £100 and leave it as is lol

So ofcourse i have said i want them to replace it back to the working condition it was in before they cocked it up, to replace the rear screen. Now just have to wait for the glass place to contact me ( im guessing it will be auto glass )

Will see what happens

Cheers Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319473 14th Mar 2017 10:16 pm
Offshore1987

Update had a phone call from motorglass to get it sorted, global tint has requested to motorglass that they fit a factory tinted rear glass screen.... does anyone know what tint level a factory tint is please? The rest of the rear tints will be 20% so im hoping that the factory is 20%? If its anything else then i wont be having it fitted or like wise if its not a landrover stamped screen

Dan Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319508 15th Mar 2017 4:09 pm
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Sorry to hear of your troubles offshore! I have a scratch in the tint on my windscreen that I was going to get sorted at some point, I'm just going to leave it as is now. It's not a big deal and not worth the potential problems. At least they have offered you a solution, although I think out would be very lucky to get a land rover stamped screen, but stranger things have happened!

Post #319696 18th Mar 2017 12:35 pm
Offshore1987

Cheers Ct8637. If your scratch is on anything foward of the boot windows then it should be fine to have sorted

Motorglass turned up and fitted the factory tint rear window so its all sorted now, apart from waiting for the other window tints to dry, touch wood they are all ok once they have dryed oy propley Whistle

Its not a LandRover stamped glass but is a proper Pilkington stamped glass Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Dan Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #319704 18th Mar 2017 3:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1