« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help needed with buying, please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 
Help needed with buying, please

Hi, first off all I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I'm looking to buy a Freelander 2, I've just went and viewed one but there were a few issues I was wondering if someone could help me with? When braking I was getting a lot of vibration through the steering wheel, I asked when the discs and pads were last changed, he didn't know as it was his wife's car but showed me the MOT from last month that states 'front discs pitted and scored but hasn't weakened the disc at all' as an advisory, does this sound like the problem?

Secondly, their dog has jumped up and ripped the leather on the side of the front driver seat (half leather half alacantra model), so it has 3 claw scores right through the leather, does anyone know if this is an easy fix? And roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks

Post #318314 26th Feb 2017 6:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

First lesson in buying a car is that there is always another one out there to look at. It might help if you told us a bit more about it like year, mileage, service history etc.
If there is vibration it's probably caused by warped discs which aren't difficult to replace, however it could be something that the MOT hasn't picked up. The fact that it's "his wife's car so he doesn't know" is a poor excuse and is a warning bell.

Same goes for the dog damage. If it's not a bargain price then I would walk away, these things are expensive to fix if they go wrong, you are buying private with no warranty. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #318318 26th Feb 2017 6:31 pm
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your reply. It's a '59 plate, TD4 XS model, 63,000 miles, FSH, MOT Jan '18. It's priced at £9,500, I've priced discs and pads for the front coming in at £150 and I can change them myself. Hoping to get some more eh knocked off the price of the car. Does that sound like a reasonable price? Thanks.

Post #318323 26th Feb 2017 7:02 pm
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Dog jumped up and ripped the leather? Pretty sure it's common for the sidewall in the seats to split. I saw loads of them with the same probem when looking for mine.

It seems to me he's telling porkies about the seat and the brakes so if I was you I'd walk away. What else is he hiding?

Post #318324 26th Feb 2017 7:05 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I would check out similar pricing on ebay an autotrader then make him an offer say £2+k lower and walk away. A year ago my son traded in a 60 plate GS 78k miles FSH for £9k against a new Mitsubishi if that helps. You could always offer say £7k and leave your phone number. Either you get this at a knock down price or you find a better one. They say that if you aren't embarrassed by your first offer then you have bid too high. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #318326 26th Feb 2017 7:20 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Why not put the car through I "buy any carp" as your own, see what it offers, and to me that is is about what it is worth as you will have no warranty. BUT remember WBAC are in business to knock it down on inspection so for every obvious fault they would be deducting money.

Check Autotrader and Parkers for similar cars. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318333 26th Feb 2017 8:34 pm
Cammywatson033

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback guys. Can I ask one more question? 🙈 It was always the HSE and Xs models I was looking at but I've saw a couple of Sport LE models, can someone tell me the big difference please, I've noticed the alloys on the sport are different again and I actually prefer them to the other 2 models but what else is different. I've also noticed a few have the clearview pack, what's included in this as I can't find anything about it on google.

Post #318346 26th Feb 2017 9:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1