Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Service Plans?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dakers

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver
Service Plans?

My vehicle is going in tomorrow for it's 3 year service, and Grange LR at Welwyn have finally got back to me and offered me the following service plan. Not sure if anyone else could weigh-in and see what they think.
Also a little confused as it's around 42.5K on the clock, so wondered if it'll be coming up for it's next service really rapidly too? It had it's 32K done this time last year by the previous owner, and it was on 36.5K when we bought it in August last year.

Plan Details:
Start date 24/02/2017

Up front amount £ 250.00
DD number of instalments 29
First DD instalment £ 20.43
Then DD instalments of £ 29.32

Total Cost £ 1091.39

Items Included:
48000 Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Filter Pollen
64000 Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Filter Pollen
80000 Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Filter Pollen

Post #318105 23rd Feb 2017 10:15 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

So this covers all your servicing for the next 36 months.

basically do you think that this is the amount that you will spend over this period, if so then they are budgeting for you.

Post #318106 23rd Feb 2017 10:34 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I get my services labour only by Duckworths. Buy the oil from the best deal I can find on line & the parts from Dan @ Duckworths. A service totals about £255, B service £300.

Using your plan, that is £810!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #318109 23rd Feb 2017 10:35 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

We had a service plan at Lancaster Welwyn (now Grange). Quite simply, the cost was based on the price of the next three services at the then prevailing price list. The only real benefits was three years servicing at 2013 prices and spreading the cost.

When we moved to Derbyshire, Lancaster fully refunded the accrued 'fund' so we only ever paid for the servicing actually carried out. We have now taken out a new plan with Guy Salmon Sheffield.

I don't recall an up front amount as such though... is that not the price of the immediate service? Then followed by monthly contributions to cover the next 2 services? £1k seems about right for two A and one B service at main dealer prices and the whole plan is effectively based on you paying in enough (in advance) to cover the next service rather than paying for it after the event.

Post #318110 23rd Feb 2017 10:40 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

IIRC
minor service on the 3+ service scheme is £275 incl VAT
major service on the 3+ service scheme is £350 incl VAT

so that's a total of £900 over the next 3 services not including fuel filter and other service items not listed.

to me the £1091.39 price is a bit high unless that is including £191.39 interest in which case just budget it yourself and save the'interest'

also what items should be changed or serviced at those intervals, and how many miles do you drive ? if your a higher mileage driver then the service plan at that price may not be worth it, but over 3 years of normal mileage or less then maybe not so bad.

Post #318112 23rd Feb 2017 10:43 am
ReggiePerrin

RogB

The 3 year plan should also include the cost of a brake fluid change and all 'scheduled' service parts.

Assuming no 'unscheduled' work is required, there should be nothing to pay on the day.

Post #318115 23rd Feb 2017 10:57 am
RogB

Both times ive had services done under the 3+ plan brake fluid change was listed in the service book but wasn't done by the dealer. (2 different ones) Both said it was an extra £90 IIRC for the fluid change. No amount of arguing with them would get them to do it inclusive.

Post #318117 23rd Feb 2017 11:15 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I think that this whole issue is somewhat clouded by the Land Rover 3 years + scheme which is often not offered until asked for. I think that the "normal" Main Dealer servicing cost is in excess of £500 so on that basis it is a good deal but assuming that the 3 Y+ scheme is continued better to go for that

It doesn't look like they are offering any more than oil and filters. Any other consumables or repairs will be charged for

Post #318118 23rd Feb 2017 11:17 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Buy the genuine bits and ask for a 20% discount and get good oil and do a service at 10K max, your engine etc will love you or it.

Or if not able to do it yourself ask and indie to do the labour on a quote with genuine parts at prices no greater than below.
Some Factors will supply service parts for less but some items you would not want on your car IMO.

B Service Items MY13 (genuine Parts recently as I was passing a dealer but you can ask Dan as a sponsor for his price)
Oil Filter £10.17
Washer Sump £1.38
Diesel Filter £34.65
Air Filter £17.76
Pollen Filter £15.82
Millers XF Longlife C1 5w - 30 £32.42 (Opie oils 6Lts a sponsor and delivered free if buying qualifying cash amount)

Total Cost £112.20

My oil and filter and service indicator reset can be changed/ done at at LR indie for £50 on the right day and payment scheme with me doing the rest at my leisure. So a B service currently costs me £162..20.

Not worried about it going on a computer for service updates as why would you if it is running fine for 4 years. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318123 23rd Feb 2017 12:01 pm
ReggiePerrin

RogB wrote:
Both times ive had services done under the 3+ plan brake fluid change was listed in the service book but wasn't done by the dealer. (2 different ones) Both said it was an extra £90 IIRC for the fluid change. No amount of arguing with them would get them to do it inclusive.

Must be down to different dealers... my last service (A) at Guy Salmon included a brake fluid change but it had been included in the plan?

Probably something to ask about when taking out the plan.

Post #318131 23rd Feb 2017 1:32 pm
RogB

I wasn't on a service plan, it was just the 3+ servicing deal that was on (that both dealers denied all knowledge of until I pointed out it was on their own website Laughing )

I have no idea if it is still on, but I believe it was done to try and tease customers of older LR back to getting a dealer service but at indy prices.

It was a worth a dealer stamp in the book as both mine had a main dealer history, but I wasn't convinced they did a proper job on the service, just the bare minimum.

Post #318184 24th Feb 2017 7:48 am
Rangerider

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Just picking up on this thread.....

My car was in for it's MOT this week. (Passed)

The MOT is included as part of my service plan. My plan is coming to an end (car 4yrs old - took out the plan after first year) and I've always been pleased with the work done (£35+ per month and no hefty bill on the day). It suits me.

Anyway - I enquired about extending my plan and was told that LR no longer offered this. Something to do with new engines having 2yr service interval??

I was a bit disappointed as I rather liked the system.

Can anyone confirm that this discontinuation is indeed the case?

Thanks.

Post #322477 28th Apr 2017 6:38 am
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

I asked about extended service plans this week and was told they are not done by LR but by another firm. The likelihood would be that they would only cover a minimum of items and would charge extra come the actual service.

I was advised to shop around at the time the next service is required and don't take out a plan.

Post #322482 28th Apr 2017 7:17 am
Rangerider

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Actually, I noticed that - halfway through my plan my DD was changed from the Garage to a company called EMAC?

I suppose the was LR starting the process of "mopping up".

Thanks.

Post #322486 28th Apr 2017 7:38 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

At year 4 I think that having a LR stamp in your book is an expensive luxury if you like myself still enjoy your car (yet to find anything better). Will it really give a higher return if you move it on at year 5,6 or 7 or above ?

Anyone who is paying upfront for a series of future services on a 3 year old car IMO would be better off sticking the same amount of money in your own separate car account and once a year draw funds down for the work with whomever stamped your book and did the job to your satisfaction and probably at a fraction of what a LR dealer will charge.

Nationwide do an account , it has a £10 monthly charge but it pays interest, I took it out mainly for the car recovery and travel insurance that would cost us serious money to buy separately.

3% AER (2.96% gross p.a.) variable in-credit interest on balances up to £2,500. Interest is paid monthly.
Worldwide Family Travel Insurance
UK & European Breakdown and Recovery Assistance
Worldwide Family Mobile Phone Insurance
12 month extended Warranty Protection, Identity Theft Assistance and Worldwide Emergency Card Assistance
Commission-free cash withdrawals abroad FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322494 28th Apr 2017 8:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>