Home > Off Topic > Sentimental Value
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Sentimental Value

How do you price sentimental value

Scenario, father passes away, and the undertaker was asked about his wedding ring before he took the body away, it would have been 50 years marriage this year, and we were told he would remove the ring and return it to us and not to worry about it, its nicer for him to wear it and so on......... anyway long story short

He didn't it was cremated along with my dad and now its lost for ever, so my mum doesn't have this as she wished too, obviously there is a cost of ring/weight in gold, but what about the lost sentimental value?

He told us that if it wasn't removed the crematorium, collecting the melted gold/silver etc and weigh it in and donate to a charity, no actual proof of this.

I know it gone, it can't be replaced, but i feel we should take them to task, put the monies gained towards something special, such as taking his ashes to his favourite place to scatter as a family, it could pay for a nice 'something' in my mums garden etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #317023 7th Feb 2017 2:44 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Well, you've been badly let down by the undertaker so I think it only fair that they cough up for the financial value of the ring plus a bit extra for distress. You can then put that towards something your father would have liked or whatever the family decide. Could be a bench, a plaque, a bush, a donation to a good cause or whatever would feel fitting to you and yours.

We bought the Mother in Law a nice big plant pot and a standard rose bush to put the Father in Laws ashes in. Funny thing was, his ashes were in a biodegradable wicker bag and on the day of the 'planting' (a barbecue was held) the oblong bag wouldn't quite fit into the round planter despite us all having a go at trying to force it down to the bottom. We were all a bit 'merry' by then. Then, one thing that made us all laugh when we took the bag out to try to reshape it was that someone noticed the label in the bottom of the pot. It said 'Guaranteed frost proof'. Frost is my wife's family name. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #317027 7th Feb 2017 3:13 pm
EYorkshire

You could take them to task and its a great shame it happened, but I wouldn't.
I would feel by bringing up something disagreeable regarding something so personal on a day that should be remembered only for memories would tarnish the day. This is just so wrong to maybe enter into a 'dingdong' for financial compensation albeit upsetting as it is, let it rest it won't bring back the ring but you can still do something nice in his remembrance or for your mother without the upset.

Post #317036 7th Feb 2017 4:56 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I am always a bit suspicious of stories like this for obvious reasons. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #317037 7th Feb 2017 5:05 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

first off my condolences.
I would raise it not to get the money because as already stated it won't bring the ring back but to stop it happening to others. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #317045 7th Feb 2017 6:30 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I am always a bit suspicious of stories like this for obvious reasons.

yes it is a bit suspicious to me,

and the circumstances are such that the undertaker knows that it is unlikely that it would be taken further.

very unfortunate situation, what else can you say.

Iain

Post #317046 7th Feb 2017 7:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had a not quite the same situation, where an elderly cousin had promised me a 13 piece tea set in fine Japanese porcelain which had been given to her parents as a wedding present in 1918. It had sentimental value to me as a family heirloom. She said that she would put a note with her Will. Well, she died a year or so later and no mention of it in her Will. I sent a letter to the executors/relatives explaining the situation and the reply was that if I wanted it I could bid at auction. I guess they must have thought that it knew it was worth a lot. I didn't bother to attend or bid but checked later and discovered that the whole lot had made about £20 after auction fees and tax. Value to me would have been many times that. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #317048 7th Feb 2017 8:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'm skeptical as my mother law knows someone who used to buy jewelry from crematorium (not known if intact or smelted gold) as she smelted everything and made jewelry with it

We had discussed having his ashes placed in to pendant and I thought the ring could have been smelted and formed into its holder or within the design or Simply hung on the chain next to the pendant

None of which is possible now Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #317056 7th Feb 2017 9:14 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

NP, it's a simple breach of contract. You gave instructions, he agreed to carry them out for a consideration which you accepted. If you have not settled the account just withhold the equivalent replacement value of the ring and a sum of money for distress. In my humble opinion the undertaker has behaved disgracefully , and I'm sure that the last thing he would want is any inkling of such a story surfacing in the YEP. So what are the chances of him taking any action if you withheld? He is right in the theory about the charity bit, but that is not the point. It could be a simple error, but his profession is one of the few where errors are inexcusable. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #317058 7th Feb 2017 9:27 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I've heard of instances like this happening in the past, my wife died a month ago and the last thing I did before leaving the hospital was to remove her rings, she had lost a lot of weight over the last year somremoval was easy but can imagine in most circumstances removal after wearing a ring for such a long time could be virtually impossible. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #317062 7th Feb 2017 11:29 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The ring was stolen, they easily slip off after a few days. Do not leave anything of any value whether dollars or sentimental that you do not want to loose. Other things like pacemakers with their battery are cut out. Gold and platinum from teeth are also sifted out at the end plus metal hip & knee joints. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #317066 8th Feb 2017 12:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1