Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Future of electric cars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I can't imagine getting any pleasure in owning an electric vehicle. To me it would be purely a means to an end. I know the performance is there (if you can find anywhere left to use it), but the tech is sterile like an electric train or a fan heater.

Post #317005 7th Feb 2017 11:40 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Refuelling/recharging time is the problem with straight electric cars, along with battery management. Also the only reason that electric cars are not classed as polluting is that the pollution is produced generating the electricity at the gas or nuclear power station rather than when consuming it.
Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go. The same refuelling time as a fossil fuel powered vehicle with the emissions of an electric vehicle. We are already used to carrying bombs around in our car and with collision protection getting better every year the hydrogen fuel tank gets to be less risk.

Post #317012 7th Feb 2017 12:39 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

what BossBob said. Thumbs Up
Hydrogen fuel cells are the answer. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #317024 7th Feb 2017 3:02 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My petrol car can be charged at roughly 32,000 kWh per second! A full charge from relatively empty is about 2,000,000 kWh in about 60 seconds! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #317039 7th Feb 2017 5:23 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I think that there is a view that the nature of car ownership will change quite drastically over the next 10 years or so. Less people will own cars in the way that they have over the past 100 odd years. Instead we will be using Uber type taxi services which will be driverless. When you want to go somewhere you just order a car which will appear and take you where you want to go
I notice that this is already happening to some extent with young city dwellers, where that automatic "right of passage" of passing your driving test at 17 to give mobility and freedom is not such an automatic choice as before. They would rather use taxis and public transport

Post #317041 7th Feb 2017 5:33 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Lightwater wrote:
My petrol car can be charged at roughly 32,000 kWh per second! A full charge from relatively empty is about 2,000,000 kWh in about 60 seconds!

about the same for Hydrogen fuel, all night for electric. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #317043 7th Feb 2017 6:21 pm
j77

Scotland 

tim_roberts wrote:
The owners of electric cars are currently living in a dream world, being subsidised by us, the owners of gas-guzzlers.

They pay no road tax and they pay no fuel duty - that's why the cost per mile is so cheap, not because they are ultra-efficient.

Once the number of electric cars starts to make a dent in the government's revenue the rules will have to change.

Come the 1st of April a lot of electric cars will fall in to the £40k tax rule, means year 2-6 is £310 a year. Also Tesla are now charging for there superchargers, one of the motorway charging facilities (forget the companies name) are charging £6 for 30mins which makes a small petrol city car cheaper per mile.

Seeing as they don't run on fuel then can't complain about fuel duty, the owners still have to pay their electric bill and the energy companies are putting their prices up faster than the duty on the fuel.

Electric will definitely be the way forward for me.

Hydrogen fuel cell is ok but I ain't willing to pay £63k for a Toyota, would rather have the Tesla Model 3 for about £30k or Jaguar I-pace for £55k. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #317059 7th Feb 2017 9:35 pm
virtualrog

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

The vision of an electric car future has a few flaws, The idea of solar panels on a car would not generate
enough power for a standard car. The energy per m2 available is only around 110w and panels typically are
no more than 20 to 30% efficient so at maximum 30w/m total generation from a car sized panel per day is
unlikely to be more than 1 or 2 KWH maximum. a car is typically 18 to 25 KWH so the energy has to come from somewhere else.

The UK has only enough generation capacity for our current use, car charging would overload our generation capacity,
also the national grid is near its transmission limit so if you could generate you would be unable to transmit the power
anywhere. You could install panels on everyone's roof but of course we are normally using our cars to get to work during the day when the power is available. My panels generate enough for a car during the summer but not the rest of the year.

Hydrogen may be the answer to moving the energy around as we already have part of the infrastructure to move LPG
around.

I can see electric cars having their place in some transport situations but currently we couldn't all switch to them.

Roger

PS the number above are only approximations so not to be taken literally Freelander 2
Rangerover L322 4.4 TDV8

Post #317152 9th Feb 2017 1:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

solarpower cars , imagine everyone fighting for the sunny car park spaces whilst the nice shady ones go unwanted.

Sorry Im late for the meeting the sun went behind a cloud.

it all revolves around batteries and until someone thinks of the supreme design , its not going to work

also power supply , everyone gets home from work plugs car, in pops the kettle on and has an electric shower, pop goes the national grid. unless the ingenious battery in build into every house can smooth the demand At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #317159 9th Feb 2017 4:09 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The roof rack could not hold enough spare batteries!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #317166 9th Feb 2017 6:36 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317179 9th Feb 2017 9:50 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I considered affordable electric options recently to replace my diesel. In the end I bought a Toyota hybrid. Best compromise. Electric car range not good enough 'yet'. Also my wife can not remember to charge her phone and the kids will trip over the cable so a plug in cars a bit pointless.

I believe the near future is the hybrid system. The affordable long range less faff battery option is still a long way off.

Post #317184 9th Feb 2017 10:21 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Long term I think there will be a way of picking up the electricity on motorways. You'll drive your car to the motorway, then the computer will take over, enabling it to drive much closer to the car in front, and picking up current from the roadway. It will then be fully charged for when you leave the motorway near your destination.
All very well, but it's never going to reach the Highlands - or even east Anglia for that matter. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #317186 10th Feb 2017 12:06 am
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

That's a great idea, sort of a track to run on, what does this remind me of.....have a look at this

http://www.scalextric.com/us-en/news/renau...unt-video/

Post #317187 10th Feb 2017 12:21 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The problem with these high tech batteries is they are using expensive precious metals which are not eco friendly to extract from the earth and will need replacing in 5 years or so.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #317211 10th Feb 2017 1:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>