Home > General > Prospective FL2 owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
VBT

United Kingdom 
Prospective FL2 owner

Hi all

We're hoping to trade our car in for a FL2 - we know we want an HSE model, and looking at our budget we can only afford a 2008 model. The one we've seen online has 109,000 miles (registered April 2008, VIN not known yet). It's a TD4 manual version with full service history and one owner and is on for £7800, but will be £3500 with our PX taken in to account. Had its last service in September and has an MOT until May.

The question I have is how worried do I need to be about the rear differential or the camshaft failing? We'll obviously look out for the tell tale signs/noises etc, but realistically is it a bad idea getting a 2008 (or earlier) model because if these issues, and should we be looking at later models with higher mileage, or lower specs, instead? It's obviously going to have a level of expense as with all older cars, but I don't fancy having to scrap the car due to catastrophic engine failure 2 weeks after buying it!

Any tips of how best to choose a decent one or maximise the chances of it not being a disaster?!

Thanks in advance!

Post #315216 13th Jan 2017 11:18 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I can't advise on the camshaft issue, but as for the rear diff, it affects nearly all model years. Even if it's been repaired doesn't mean it won't go again (unless it's had the bearing upgraded like mine). Mileage or age doesn't seem to affect it.

Post #315217 14th Jan 2017 12:01 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Thanks Steven, that's useful to know. Do you mind me asking what the cost was to replace the rear diff and the bearing? I'm wondering if it's worth doing this pre-emptively once we buy it?

Post #315225 14th Jan 2017 7:50 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The colleague that bought my 2011 registered FL2 had to replace the rear diff at around 115,000, when the car was only around 4 years old and the dealer said exactly the same thing as Steven, that the issue never was resolved. I seem to remember the cost being around the £800, but I could be wrong on that figure.

The fact that it's a one owner, FSH car is worth a great deal - particularly if you get to see who it was on the paperwork and make contact with him first to ask him what it's been like Whistle

It might even have all been done by the same dealer, in which case the service departments can be very helpful with additional information.

Post #315227 14th Jan 2017 9:37 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Thanks Tigger, that's a good idea. Thanks for the info on price too!

Post #315229 14th Jan 2017 9:46 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

When they did my rear diff they replaced the transfer box as well, another £1700 according to the dealer - all under warranty 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #315234 14th Jan 2017 10:04 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Wow, at least it was under warranty! DorsetFreelander. No Hope of that with the one we're off to see I don't think! It's 3 months dealer warranty but I'm assuming that's probably got all sorts of small print, ha

Post #315235 14th Jan 2017 10:10 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

the fact it is a 9 year old vehicle which has had one owner since new and has a full LR service history says a lot for it.

obviously it has been a good vehicle which has not caused the owner any problems?

Iain

ps very few and far between !!

Post #315237 14th Jan 2017 10:17 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I have spoken to the current owner of my 1st FL2 and I gave you wrong information - sorry!

The Diff itself was £665, but with labour, fluids and VAT, it was £1,300. However, it came with a 2 year LR warranty.

Last edited by Tigger on 14th Jan 2017 10:38 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #315238 14th Jan 2017 10:26 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28455.html

Iain

Post #315240 14th Jan 2017 10:29 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Thanks Iain- saw that one but it's a GS and we have our hearts sets on an HSE really.

I'm hoping the one we're off to see is, given its history like you say, is a good sign. Fingers crossed anyway!

Post #315241 14th Jan 2017 10:34 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
I have spoken to the current owner of my 1st FL2 and I gave you wrong information - sorry!

The Diff itself was £665, but with labour, fluids and VAR, it was £1,300. However, it came with a 2 year LR warranty.

That's a bit bette then, and good about the warranty too - makes it a bit more bearable....

Post #315243 14th Jan 2017 10:35 am
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

VBT wrote:
Thanks Steven, that's useful to know. Do you mind me asking what the cost was to replace the rear diff and the bearing? I'm wondering if it's worth doing this pre-emptively once we buy it?

I had mine upgraded by my local Indy, think it was around the £800 mark, that was for a reconditioned diff which had been machined out to accept a bigger bearing.
The previous owner of mine had the LR fix done to it before he bought it, a few years later and now under my ownership it went again. Hopefully I've sorted it now though!

Post #315317 14th Jan 2017 11:01 pm
Gapster

France 

My twopenceworth is be sure to buy a model with a version 4 Haldex - not sure when it changed from 3 to 4 but the later version will probably be easier and cheaper to get parts for. Cool

Not to forget, as I have been reminded of in a very 'real' sense.....

10 yrs is the general lifetime of a few major components: cambelt, water pump, srs system (air bags), vqrious flexible pipes etc.
Be sure your vehicle has a good service history Smile Only dead fish go with the flow

Post #315326 15th Jan 2017 6:05 am
VBT

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone - we ended up buying the one we went to see yesterday. It's 9yrs old/109,000 miles and we think we'll do the cam belt in the next few moths as a precaution. Service history looked pretty good so fingers crossed it'll last us a good amount of time and be totally trouble free 😂

If anyone knows a good independent garage near London let me know!

Post #315327 15th Jan 2017 7:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>